• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best hay ‘dispenser’ for house rabbits?

rosaleen

Warren Scout
Hi,
I have two free range house rabbits and normally dispense hay a big handful at a time onto their litter trays throughout the day. However I may need to be away for a few days and rely on a friend for a once a day visit to feed and water them and my cat.
I wonder how can I supply a day’s worth of hay for them to acess. I have two ‘feeders’ which I no longer use as they’re too small to hold the amount needed. If I just put a whole day’s worth on their three litter trays(which each have a sort of plastic grill on them to raise above the newspaper below) I feel they’ll most likely soil the hay. Currently their hay goes in the corner of one of the trays to keep it clear of their droppings etc.
Any help and or experience of this type of problem would be appreciated!! Thanks

I would put out a few extra litter trays (I use 32 litre underbed storage boxes). I use a magazine rack for their hay as well as most hay racks sold for rabbits are tiny!

Good luck.

I had a couple of these ikea holders but have since read horror stories of rabbits and guinea pigs getting their heads stuck in them ...

I had a couple of these ikea holders but have since read horror stories of rabbits and guinea pigs getting their heads stuck in them ...

My boys are too big to get there heads in them, Vimto can fit into hers so it is led down for her. The boys are tied to the side, but thank you for the warning. I do keep them pretty well packed down with hay and readicut grass

Manor Pet Housing's hay bar :thumb: Mackers gave me one when she bought Imogen to us and I was so impressed with it I ordered one of their digging boxes as well.

I once found Nutmeg inside one of those Ikea thingies :roll:

Second vote for the MPH hay bar I’ve got the hay bar/litter tray and it really is fab. Saving up for two more for my new sheds.

Thanks to all of you for your replies, information and advice.
I have a spare under bed storage box so I think it’s a good idea to try that first. It’s quite shallow which is good as Harriet has arthritis in her spine and though the Metacam she is now on is REALLY effective I’ll need to be sure she can easily get in and out.
Tulsi, I’m wondering if you put anything in your box first to absorb pee and whether the hay gets soiled a bit, a lot or not at all. I know in the past when I used to use newspaper as a ‘lining’ BeBe in particular would happily spend hours tearing it up and so defeating its purpose
I am happy to replace the hay daily if need be. Currently a kilo of compacted Timothy hay will last BeBe and Harriet 5days.
Re the bag holders I don’t live near an IKEA but will look at other possible suppliers for available sizes.
Re the hay bar I checked the website and if the storage box doesn’t work I’ll look at it in more detail
Thanks again I appreciate your help.

I use newspaper and hay only. They used to use one of their litter trays as a dig box but not done so for a while now.

The magazine rack offers clean hay, yep the tray hay does get wet and pooey.

2mzl7kj.jpg

2vjd1q8.jpg

Digging tray in the hutch

wv8hf9.jpg

Arent they lovely?!

2nkpbb8.jpg

Hay in the trays can get soiled but in my experience they tend to pee up one end only, and they pick out the hay they want, so it’s not an issue if you provide enough of it and change it daily. You may even find they eat more of it than usual when given a large amount - I find the best way to encourage hay eating is to provide way more than they will eat, so they can eat all the yummiest bits of hay. I’d say aim to provide about 4 or 5 times the amount you think they’ll actually eat. The extra tray sounds like a good idea, just line it with whatever you use usually for litter trays.

I like to have an ikea bag holder handy as well, it holds quite a bit extra. But to be honest they prefer the hay in their trays, where they can forage through it.

If you’re not sure about the person you will have taking care of them, it might even be worth putting them into boarding so you know they will have an experienced carer.

Tulsi your rabbits look lovely,they seem quite large? Well larger than my two 2.15k and 2.55 k
Had a rethink about the box I’ve got already and have found Argos do a slightly smaller one ( limited space in the living room where they both reside)and am collecting it tomorrow. It’s a bit shallower and probably better for Harriet as apart from her arthritis she’s 90% blind.
Nessar,thanks very much for all your detailed info about the hay. It will be very helpful when I start using my box
Thanks also for the suggestion about boarding. I will look into that. I confess though the main reason I’m thinking of enough hay for one day is that I’m now at an age, 68, where the unexpected is to be expected. My sister in law has just gained a cat Dinky, after her previous owner died very unexpectedly and wasn’t found for two weeks. (Still not sure how the cat managed to survive) plus tales of friends having strokes, collapsing etc etc. I’ve made up an idiot proof friendly photos/instructions file on looking after my animals in case of emergency. (I’ll add the details of boarding facilities now)
.I’m in contact with someone four days a week so I’m pretty covered if something happens suddenly.
I’d rather be safe than sorry!
Thanks again to each of you for taking the time to help me out with my hay problem

I use newspaper and hay only. They used to use one of their litter trays as a dig box but not done so for a while now.

The magazine rack offers clean hay, yep the tray hay does get wet and pooey.

2mzl7kj.jpg

2vjd1q8.jpg

Digging tray in the hutch

wv8hf9.jpg

Arent they lovely?!

2nkpbb8.jpg

I love looking at your four rabbits :love:

And the magazine holder is an excellent idea :thumb:

I’ve sent a long post and it showed as being on the the thread but now it’s disappeared
Oop sorry ignore that, sorry I can’t seem to delete it". Groan

Last edited:
Forum wobbles! :roll:

Thanks Max, I think it was me, not realising there was a second page of postings! Duhh.
Off to collect the two new boxes today. I’d said I have limited space for the rabbit area but slowly clued into the fact that I won’t need all of the three current litter trays as a box will replace them.
Plan is to use one box and one litter tray, keeping the second box as a changeover for the daily cleaning of first box,ditto littertray, if that makes sense. Will also look into a magazine rack but if I get one it is likely to be varnished and my two love chewing wood. Not sure my hand arthritis will cope with sanding one down thoroughly. I’ll checkthis out.

Thanks Max, I think it was me, not realising there was a second page of postings! Duhh.
Off to collect the two new boxes today. I’d said I have limited space for the rabbit area but slowly clued into the fact that I won’t need all of the three current litter trays as a box will replace them.
Plan is to use one box and one litter tray, keeping the second box as a changeover for the daily cleaning of first box,ditto littertray, if that makes sense. Will also look into a magazine rack but if I get one it is likely to be varnished and my two love chewing wood. Not sure my hand arthritis will cope with sanding one down thoroughly. I’ll checkthis out.

Sanding is a real chore :(

Something like this maybe? Bit lightweight, (but you might find an unvarnished wood rack that's heavier) ...

https://www.made.com/bendt-wire-mag...Vx7DtCh1SlAsREAQYASABEgLmovD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

A huge thank you to Tulsi and Nessar for recommending storage boxes. I started using one 5 days ago and it’s really good. I stopped using newspaper underneath as BeBe just shreds it to pieces and makes it ineffective. I’ve got bricks as steps next to the box to help Harriet get in and out. She’s becoming quite supple, helping the arthritis in her spine so I’m especially pleased about that. Sometimes she doesn’t use the steps and can now jump straight in and out. She’s currently finishing on Infacol,- recurring GS - and she’ll sometimes just lean right over over the lip of the box and into the main body of the box, it increases her stretching her stomach muscles, acting as a second tummy rub.
It’s become a mini gym so very pleased about that too.
Thanks M Max for the link. Yes it does look a bit light. I have one rack of unvarnished wood already but it is too small and too light, it used to get tipped over. However I will trawl the net to see what’s available.
Cleaning up and vacuuming is so much easier and quicker too, the vacuum ‘bag’ doesnt fill up with hay etc every time I hoover the area so all good there too!
Again, thanks so much, I really appreciate your help

Last edited:
A huge thank you to Tulsi and Nessar for recommending storage boxes. I started using one 5 days ago and it’s really good. I stopped using newspaper underneath as BeBe just shreds it to pieces and makes it ineffective. I’ve got bricks as steps next to the box to help Harriet get in and out. She’s becoming quite supple, helping the arthritis in her spine so I’m especially pleased about that. Sometimes she doesn’t use the steps and can now jump straight in and out. She’s currently finishing on Infacol,- recurring GS - and she’ll sometimes just lean right over over the lip of the box and into the main body of the box, it increases her stretching her stomach muscles, acting as a second tummy rub.
It’s become a mini gym so very pleased about that too.
Thanks M Max for the link. Yes it does look a bit light. I have one rack of unvarnished wood already but it is too small and too light, it used to get tipped over. However I will trawl the net to see what’s available.
Cleaning up and vacuuming is so much easier and quicker too, the vacuum ‘bag’ doesnt fill up with hay etc every time I hoover the area so all good there too!
Again, thanks so much, I really appreciate your help

You've got me thinking about and wanting a hay rack now. Not for my personal munchies! I'd prefer a wall hanging one so that the debris can hit the litter tray underneath. Let me know if you find any good ones :)

I used a tall metal cd rack(found in charity shop) fastened in place in one end of his litter tray, and he had that for over a year, but he went off eating it like that when he had his dental, so I’m currently using some long metal loaf tins as troughs for hay, and he has one in the litter tray and one near his bowls, and he’s eating more hay than ever, hardly any on the floor. Although I’d put most of that down to the fact he went off baled hay so I’ve had to shop around for new hay he likes, and he absolutely loves some of the hay expert ones, burns green oat hay, oxbow orchard grass and oxbow Timothy are his favourites!

You have all got me wanting a magazine rack now too. All the times I've seen them in charity shops and not bought one. I found a wooden ark shape sorter and a wooden roller shape sorter in charity shops and they love them.

Back