• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Build Summer 2018 - Discussion and Suggestion Encouraged! :)

Beapig

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on developing/extending the accomodation for my two bunnies this summer. They currently have an 8 x 10 ft run in the form of an upcycled greenhouse, with a 6ft two tier hutch attached. Recently they've also had a large open top run (3 of the Bunny Business hexagon runs attached together) so they can graze throughout the day.

They've become used to the extra space and clearly enjoy it. However, my new rescue cat, Merlin, is really obsessed with Beatrice and I can't trust leaving them out alone with him. Right now I'm having to either lock his cat flap or shut them in the greenhouse run, which isn't idea at all. (Before people think I was silly to adopt a cat when I already had rabbits, we have 30+ cats living on my small street and they're all scared of the bunnies, so I really wasn't anticipating this issue :( )

I want to extend their space permanently, creating a cat proof walk in run with bunny safe foliage that they can forage in - not necessarily edible, but plants that they will enjoy running through which aren't harmful to them at all. I want to make an enclosure which keeps them entertained with lots of things to do. Perhaps a big dig box, some levels to climb on etc. An 'underground' tunnel would be fun too!

I'm lucky enough to have a very large garden which is completely bare right now, so plenty of space to spread out. Given that I'm landscaping from scratch, it would be nice to try and make the run fit in/feel like part of the rest of the garden. I want it to be aesthetically pleasing. I was originally planning on just adding a 4ft fence around the greenhouse, but now that we have the cat issue, it's going to have to be covered.

The strongest idea I have in my head right now is creating some sort of trellis divide like this (with the gaps too small for the bunnies to get through obviously) to section off the garden and make it tasteful and intentional:

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/480900066433270465/

Merlin could easily climb up the trellis though, so I don't know how we'd cover it. Unless there's a moat around the edge?? (Kind of joking kind of not :lol: )

I'm going to draw up and attach a birds eye view of the garden so everyone can see what we're working with. This is my first house and I'm really new to gardening, but so enthusiastic about it. I've started watching Gardener's World every Friday and am learning so much!

Anyway, with all this in mind, I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts :)

We have a cat, and there’s lots of wildlife around too,, so when we had outdoor rabbits we made the largest aviary style run we could and meshed the sides and the roof too, so it was predator proof, once we meshed the floor as they dug out through the thick layer of hardcore underneath the soil and led us a merry dance until we managed to recapture them.you could try turfing over the mesh, we used playbark, had to be playbark as ornamental is treated with chemicals that could harm if eaten.

Sounds interesting - I also can’t think it could be done safely without a weld mesh roof and flooring. I have personal experience of digging rabbits and how ridiculously quickly they can make significant burrows and tunnels when you aren’t looking!

Gardening is very addictive once the bug has bitten!

Back