• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Freddie

zoe2112

Young Bun
Freddie had his X-ray today and it turns out he has mild arthritis on his spine and pelvis and also his teeth may be causing him some discomfort. As he’s only 7 months old they think his arthritis is something genetic. He’s now on twice daily metacam as an ongoing treatment on the dose of 10kg for dogs (I think it’s 1ml in a regular syringe). The vet has encouraged to keep him on the hay diet as this will keep his teeth in check.

He’s in great spirits since he’s been home. He’s chomping on hay and running about like he owns the place. Fingers crossed it was just the pain that caused his gas but I’ll keep monitoring him closely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor Freddie :( Sad that he has Arthritis so young. I hope that the pain relief helps.

Freddie had his X-ray today and it turns out he has mild arthritis on his spine and pelvis and also his teeth may be causing him some discomfort. As he’s only 7 months old they think his arthritis is something genetic. He’s now on twice daily metacam as an ongoing treatment on the dose of 10kg for dogs (I think it’s 1ml in a regular syringe). The vet has encouraged to keep him on the hay diet as this will keep his teeth in check.

He’s in great spirits since he’s been home. He’s chomping on hay and running about like he owns the place. Fingers crossed it was just the pain that caused his gas but I’ll keep monitoring him closely.

The beauty is that Freddie doesn't know he has a potentially limiting condition and so he's king of all he surveys and long may it last :D

Hay is excellent for teeth, and will also help keep his weight at a sensible level so as not to strain his joints too much.

Did the vet recommend any supplements at all?

The beauty is that Freddie doesn't know he has a potentially limiting condition and so he's king of all he surveys and long may it last :D

Hay is excellent for teeth, and will also help keep his weight at a sensible level so as not to strain his joints too much.

Did the vet recommend any supplements at all?

No he didn’t, I didn’t even think to ask. Could you suggest any? I’m guessing things are only going to get worse for him so anything to delay the process would be great.

Interestingly his weight had actually gone up since his hay only diet started. After his GI stasis he can’t get enough of the stuff!

No he didn’t, I didn’t even think to ask. Could you suggest any? I’m guessing things are only going to get worse for him so anything to delay the process would be great.

Interestingly his weight had actually gone up since his hay only diet started. After his GI stasis he can’t get enough of the stuff!

I'll PM you with a few thoughts. Yes I know what you mean about the hay. I have a rabbit who eats almost nothing else and his weight goes up! It's when they are young buns their metabolism uses all the nutrients in hay and they get absorbed really well. It's when they are older that weight falls off them .....

Back