• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tethra received an early Easter present - UPDATE

Omi

Wise Old Thumper
After my failed bonding experience with the quad, I decided to try to bond Tethra with one of the ARC "meat rabbits". She is a Californian/NZW cross and was part of the same rescue as Jane's Elsa and Catherine's Dixie. She arrived as a baby with an approximate birth date of Dec 2017. Her Mum has the colouring of a NZW and her Dad a Californian. I haven't taken any pics of them yet, but will when it stops raining and will arrange for them to be added to this thread. She is utterly adorable :love:

We collected her last Sunday morning, split Tethra's run accommodation into two divided by wire and plonked her in. She immediately made herself at home, using Tethra's litter tray and eating loads of hay :) Tethra came out of his shed and approached the wire and looked at me. I know it's wrong to anthropomorphise, but his look was a cross between, "have you done this!" and "why aren't you doing something to remove her!". When she just continued to nonchalantly munch her hay, he thumped loudly, raced back into his beloved box in his shed and thumped loudly 8 more times :shock: He then continued to creep up to the wire to check she was still there and race back again, only to repeat the same process many many times. We left the wire in place all of Sunday and things got much more relaxed. On the Monday, after sleepy time, we removed the wire and moved it further back towards the shed. There was chasing and a bit of nipping from Tethra for a few hours, but nothing serious, and indeed it was interspersed with him sometimes grooming her. She was far too fast for Tethra and in fact seemed to be taunting him by running up to him, only to run away quickly and binky several times as she went :) Monday evening we opened up the whole of the run and then lastly the shed. At first the chasing continued, but since yesterday things are much more relaxed. The nipping's stopped and the chasing is different, in that it's just Tethra trying to catch up with her when she runs. They sit together in the litter tray munching hay, they eat and drink out of the same bowl together and even share the same Kale leaf from opposite ends. I am very very happy :love:

Her name is Tui :love: We've named her after her beautiful NZW Mum, who I met on Sunday, out of respect for the trauma that she has endured before she was rescued. The name is Maori and it is the name given to a bird, which is identified by its white feathers.

She is unspayed, but will be done by my vet when she is around 6 months. I am quite fascinated by the difference in Tethra's behaviour and habits since she's arrived. It's also been a long time since he's had as much exercise :D

Last edited:
I’m so pleased for you :love: Tui is a lovely name, and sounds good with Tethra too :thumb:

I can unzip my mouth now !!

I am so happy for all of you :D Tui has found a wonderful home and I just know that she will bring you all lots of joy :love: These Rabbits really are amazing, they have such adorable characters and they really do capture the heart of those who are lucky enough to meet then :love:

Tethra has gotten himself a pretty young Doe and Tui has met a very handsome Buck :love:

* Cue slushy music and credits*................................... :lol:

Oh I'm so pleased to read this update! [emoji3]❤️❤️❤️ Really glad the bonding is going so well.

Welcome to your new home Tui, you've really landed on your paws there xx

Ps, I've noticed her name follows the same pattern as yours: two syllables with two vowels and one consonant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After my failed bonding experience with the quad, I decided to try to bond Tethra with one of the ARC "meat rabbits". She is a Californian/NZW cross and was part of the same rescue as Jane's Elsa and Catherine's Dixie. She arrived as a baby with an approximate birth date of Dec 2017. Her Mum has the colouring of a NZW and her Dad a Californian. I haven't taken any pics of them yet, but will when it stops raining and will arrange for them to be added to this thread. She is utterly adorable :love:

We collected her last Sunday morning, split Tethra's run accommodation into two divided by wire and plonked her in. She immediately made herself at home, using Tethra's litter tray and eating loads of hay :) Tethra came out of his shed and approached the wire and looked at me. I know it's wrong to anthropomorphise, but his look was a cross between, "have you done this!" and "why aren't you doing something to remove her!". When she just continued to nonchalantly munch her hay, he thumped loudly, raced back into his beloved box in his shed and thumped loudly 8 more times :shock: He then continued to creep up to the wire to check she was still there and race back again, only to repeat the same process many many times. We left the wire in place all of Sunday and things got much more relaxed. On the Monday, after sleepy time, we removed the wire and moved it further back towards the shed. There was chasing and a bit of nipping from Tethra for a few hours, but nothing serious, and indeed it was interspersed with him sometimes grooming her. She was far too fast for Tethra and in fact seemed to be taunting him by running up to him, only to run away quickly and binky several times as she went :) Monday evening we opened up the whole of the run and then lastly the shed. At first the chasing continued, but since yesterday things are much more relaxed. The nipping's stopped and the chasing is different, in that it's just Tethra trying to catch up with her when she runs. They sit together in the litter tray munching hay, they eat and drink out of the same bowl together and even share the same Kale leaf from opposite ends. I am very very happy :love:

Her name is Tui :love: We've named her after her beautiful NZW Mum, who I met on Sunday, out of respect for the trauma that she has endured before she was rescued. The name is Maori and it is the name given to a bird, which is identified by its white feathers.

She is unspayed, but will be done by my vet when she is around 6 months. I am quite fascinated by the difference in Tethra's behaviour and habits since she's arrived. It's also been a long time since he's had as much exercise :D

So glad you've posted this publicly now - exciting news :D:D

I am very pleased for you all. A happy Easter indeed :love:

Oh I'm so pleased to read this update! [emoji3]❤️❤️❤️ Really glad the bonding is going so well.

Welcome to your new home Tui, you've really landed on your paws there xx

Ps, I've noticed her name follows the same pattern as yours: two syllables with two vowels and one consonant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:love::lol:

Some questions :

Bearing in mind she is entire,

in the early stages of bonding, Tethra sprayed her twice with urine - is this considered sexual or dominance?

Similarly, he has tried to hump her on a couple of occasions (not early in the process) and she just runs - is this considered sexual or dominance?

He has groomed her several times, but she hasn't reciprocated. Any thoughts why this is the case?

Is she still young enough to have more pellets than you would feed an adult? I've been giving her a few more than Tethra. She would eat loads more, but I don't want to spoil her fantastic hay-eating habits.

An observation:

Their accommodation has 3 litter trays, one in the shed, one at the opposite end of the runs and one in the middle. The middle one was always a favourite one for the 3 Rexes to sit and munch hay. Since Tethra lost his Mum and Dad, he never sat in the middle one. I used to keep it filled up with fresh hay, but it was always untouched. He used both of the other ones equally. Since the arrival of Tui, they both now sit in the middle tray and eat hay:) I was wondering if this was Tethra marking the extremities of his territory, but now he feels he doesn't need to?

How interesting re hay tray use. Cant answer your questions. One of my female guinea pigs sprayed her newly introduced neutered husband with wee when he became amerous!!!!! The other way round from your rabbits ... Only ever seen Daisy humping the other rabbits and that is at food times mainly.

I would love to see pics.

Thanks for everyone's supportive posts :love:

Things are still progressing very well here. Sleepy time was spent not snuggling, but lying a couple of inches apart. On previous days, Tethra had left her for the comfort of his box and she didn't appear to have an invitation to join him. She still hasn't, but he made the effort to leave the box and lie next to her.

I have to say she has already stolen my heart :love: If anyone is looking to adopt a male or female, baby or adult, single or pair I would definitely recommend these rabbits. As Jane says, they are just completely wonderful characters :love:

If anyone could answer my question about how many pellets she should have, I would be very grateful. She is around 3 months old and probably weighs about 1.5-2kgs I would guess. I don't want to overfeed and am well aware of the begging behaviour :lol: She's a super hay eater. In fact there's been nothing that she hasn't eaten very fast so far. I am gradually changing her pellet food over to what I use and have given very small amounts of Kale and forage. Her poos are enormous :shock:

What a lovely update, I hope the bond continues to strengthen, two buns snuggling up is so lovely.

I'm sorry I am unable to advise regarding the hay/pellet quantities

I can't give feeding advice either. I hope you get an answer from those in the know soon or maybe the rescue could advise you. I guess she has a bit of growing left to do

fMO56fgl.jpg

XdGkexRl.jpg

lxfBF4hl.jpg

:love: You have a very handsome couple there Omi, lovely to see them

Back