• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny started biting - why?!

Jo93

Young Bun
Hello!

Me again - new to the world of bunnies, and already feel like I'm bombarding the forum with loads of questions!! :wave:

Twix came home with us on Saturday and seemed to be so comfortable and gained confidence so quickly (he's a 9 week old male) By Sunday afternoon he was already jumping out of his cage and exploring his new home, running around at one million miles an hour! (he's going to be a house rabbit). And then by Monday, he had gained even more confidence and was happy to climb all over our legs, come and sniff us, and let us stroke him.

Tonight, he has started biting us :( at first I thought it was only a nip but he kept on doing it, just when I was putting my hand down by his nose to sniff, like he has been for the past new days quite happily

At first I thought it was a hunger thing, so I left him to eat loads of hay, and then went back to him about an hour later. He still carried on to bite. I then did some reading that it could be a dominance thing, where he's saying something like hey get out my way! or leave me alone! So the things I read about dealing with this was either to push his head down gently whilst saying no firmly, or by picking him up and putting him in his cage as a time out session. Although on the other hand, I've read that putting him in his cage as punishment is bad because he should see his cage as a safe space...

I could just be worrying and he might stop biting by tomorrow! But either way I'm still stressing out and just want me and Twix to bond :(

He could be being a bit territorial, or telling you he is not happy with what you are doing at that time. Does he have plenty of space? I’m not sure if you have him free range or shut him in his cage sometimes? Unfortunately most of not all of the rabbit cages (especially the indoor ones) sold in pet shop are too small, and they often don’t tell you that rabbits need a lot of space, at all times as they are so active. The easiest ways to achieve this indoors is either to rabbit proof a room and have them free range in that, or use a puppy pen or similar to create a space for the rabbit. They need the equivalent of a 6ft x 2ft hutch with a permanently attached 8ft x 6 ft run giving a total of 60sq ft.

When he is neutered once his hormones subside he will probably stop being so territorial.

The best way to bond with him would be to sit on the floor, getting down on his level, and let him come to you. You could read a book, and he will get used to being around you :thumb:

Very good advice from Zoobec.
Just to add - I’m not a fan of chastising rabbits in the ways you mention - but prefer to establish what is causing the behaviour.

Very good advice from Zoobec.
Just to add - I’m not a fan of chastising rabbits in the ways you mention - but prefer to establish what is causing the behaviour.

Thanks :thumb: Yes, I forgot to mention about that, I agree with Babsie, you can’t discipline or train a rabbit I’m afraid. You can get them to do some things like use a litter tray by feeding them the hay there.

Thank you both,

Yes I don't like the idea of physical punishment either.

He seems so happy the rest of the time, I will just be sitting on the floor and he will come over and sniff me, and then out of no where bite me... but then he'll go off again and start binkying! So I don't think he's upset or angry or anything... He does have loads of space to run around, the only time I've been putting him in the cage is at night time because I'm still slightly unsure about not being able to supervise him when he's got free range.

I'm also waiting to get him neutered.. he's only 9 weeks old, I've heard varying things about how old he needs to be before having it done?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's just a phase and when he gets neutered it will help the problem

One of my rabbits started coming round my feet and then he was going to bite at my trousers. He was going to get in the habit of doing this, which I thought was food related, so I started to say No firm and he doesn't do it now. He is neutered and has the biggest area in the garden, but I think he was saying he wanted his veg now. It is a natural behaviour for a rabbit but not to do it to the humans.

Back