• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breed behaviour?

Lou75

New Kit
In your opinion /experience, which is the most laid back breed of rabbit? The best for a family pet? Cheers!

It's the individual rabbit's personality not breed that counts really; I've had two rabbits from the same litter with two different personalities and two different ways in how they wanted to react/interact with me. All my rabbits are individuals so I just let them be them and accept however much (in)attention they want to give me. I'm lucky that my current lot like mugging me for food so say hello every time I open the back door but I don't push past what they are comfortable with unless I absolutely have to.

Rabbits are prey animals and aren't that keen on handling so if you're looking for a family pet I'd suggest going to a rescue and asking if they've got suitable adult rabbits for your situation so their personalities and preferences are already known.

That's great, thanks! I'd heard that the smaller the breed the less suitable they are for children, but then the bigger the rabbit the harder they are for children to hold in their arms...
I'm a big fan of Dutch rabbits so I'll look out for two already bonded in a rescue. We're in no rush to get rabbits, I just want to get the right ones... Thank you again for your advice.

No problem :) Considering you're potentially looking at a 10-12 year commitment it's fair better to ask the questions up front than commit and then ask the questions.

Good luck finding a pair of hooligans that will fit your family. Just be prepared to not be in charge (I'm not) :D

It's the individual rabbit's personality not breed that counts really; I've had two rabbits from the same litter with two different personalities and two different ways in how they wanted to react/interact with me. All my rabbits are individuals so I just let them be them and accept however much (in)attention they want to give me. I'm lucky that my current lot like mugging me for food so say hello every time I open the back door but I don't push past what they are comfortable with unless I absolutely have to.

Rabbits are prey animals and aren't that keen on handling so if you're looking for a family pet I'd suggest going to a rescue and asking if they've got suitable adult rabbits for your situation so their personalities and preferences are already known.
This :thumb:

The only thing I can add is that a pair will be better in the long run :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

That's great, thanks! I'd heard that the smaller the breed the less suitable they are for children, but then the bigger the rabbit the harder they are for children to hold in their arms...
I'm a big fan of Dutch rabbits so I'll look out for two already bonded in a rescue. We're in no rush to get rabbits, I just want to get the right ones... Thank you again for your advice.

I have three Dutch buns and a Dutch x lionhead - my older two are laid back and chilled out, my younger two are still pretty lairy - though friendly curious and very entertaining. None of them are cuddle buns though, in fact I’ve never had a rabbit that was. That is sometimes not what children are expecting. My experienced of rabbits are that they are more of a “watching” pet who quite like fuss on their level with at least their back feet on the ground.

This is all great! Thank you. I especially love the term "hooligans" 🤣 🤣
I've fortunately/unfortunately seen a bonded female pair in a rescue who have completely stolen my heart.
Just trying to do the maths to see if I can accommodate them comfortably... X

How lovely to have your heart stolen by rabbits! My four are lionhead x (two are crossed with dutch the other two I dont know the x). They all dislike being handled but will happily take food from my hands and are perfectly confident around me.

As a child I had a lovely rabbit who would let me stroke her nose. She would relax into a little rabbit puddle cos she was so relaxed (awww). Would love to have that again with a rabbit one day.

Look forward to hearing about your new rabbits when they arrive. Have fun gettng them a lovely big set up. Mine are about to be upgraded from a run to an aviary to go with their shed.

So pleased Lou you’re looking at a bonded pair. They will give you so much more than a solitary rabbit in so many ways. They’ll be a LOT happier and as a consequence so will you. My first experience as a complete novice rabbit owner was a single unwanted one, Amy. I gradually learned about rabbits, their need for companionship and I found her a mate,from a rescue centre. The difference in Amy was almost off the scale.

Back