• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Coming out of his cage

Lauren25

Young Bun
Hi, I rehomed an 18 month old bunny (Thumper) over a week ago. He was living in a hutch outside in his previous home but he is a house rabbit with me. He seems to be settling fine, he is using the litter tray (sometimes), eating and drinking well, and loves being petted (teeth clicking, closing eyes, lying down). But he doesn't want to come out of his cage.
He is a French Lop and weighs five and a half kilos meaning that he is rather large. He has a big cage and has plenty of room but I really want him to venture outside of his cage to get some exercise and play a little. The cage doors are permanently open (unless I leave the house or go to bed) but he doesn't ever come outside. He occasionally sticks his head out but won't venture out, even if there are treats outside the cage. I have wood flooring so have been putting towels and blankets down for him to grip onto but he still doesn't seem interested. I have got him out a few times and he just hops straight back into his cage. He doesn't like being picked up so I haven't handled him for a week now but I want to bond with him and let him explore. He isn't a nervous rabbit and at his old home, he apparently constantly wanted to be out of his hutch and would explore the garden for hours on end.
His reluctance to be handled and stay outside of his cage means that I am having to spot clean his litter and cage whilst he is still in it, which I know you're not supposed to do. He nudges my plastic scoop and nibbles/drags it in disapproval but it seems more distressing for him to try and lift him out of the cage.
Any advice would be very much appreciated. On the first night, I had him on my sofa with me and he loved snuggling into the blankets and seemed very content. The only problem is getting him out as he really doesn't like being handled and won't stay out if he is able to go back into his cage (i.e if I just put him on the floor next to his cage, and not carry him over and put him on the sofa)

A week is not a long enough time for a rabbit pluck up confidence to explore new surroundings. Can you give him something to eat while you are cleaning his cage? Have you considered making his space bigger by using puppy pen panels? How big is his cage?

That's what I have been doing although sometimes he notices and comes over to express his disapproval! His cage is very large and is the biggest one I could find online. He has three compartments in it and it also has a detachable section. I couldn't really expand the area anymore because the cage itself is so large. I just didn't know if there was anything I should/shouldn't do whilst I wait for him to pluck up the courage to explore by himself, that will make it easier for him to feel comfortable.
I have toys in his cage but he doesn't seem very interested and actually drops his chew toys outside of the cage as though he doesn't want them in there. I'm just worried about him not getting enough exercise or being bored. My hallway is carpeted and wondered if I should try him on there to see if he prefers that to the wood flooring.

It's still early days plus he might not be as used to coming out as the previous owner said. Usually they say these sort of things because they don't want to tell you the truth. Rabbits don't always do anything with toys, they prefer to chew hay.

That's what I have been doing although sometimes he notices and comes over to express his disapproval! His cage is very large and is the biggest one I could find online. He has three compartments in it and it also has a detachable section. I couldn't really expand the area anymore because the cage itself is so large. I just didn't know if there was anything I should/shouldn't do whilst I wait for him to pluck up the courage to explore by himself, that will make it easier for him to feel comfortable.
I have toys in his cage but he doesn't seem very interested and actually drops his chew toys outside of the cage as though he doesn't want them in there. I'm just worried about him not getting enough exercise or being bored. My hallway is carpeted and wondered if I should try him on there to see if he prefers that to the wood flooring.

I’d certainly try him on carpet.. he may have never been on wood before! Plus wood isn’t the best for bunnies sorry as it’s very slippy and won’t give him much grip! This is probably why he may be struggling? Also a change from outdoor for 18 months to inside in a week is a huge difference.. lots of different noises and increase in temperature. All things he won’t be used too and it’s bound to feel weird and frighten him.

Can he be placed in a quiet room with carpet and see how he gets on?

Also have you thought of maybe getting him a friend? Or you hoping to keep him as a single house bunny? Xx

Last edited:
Another idea is to have a cardboard box with entrance and exit holes cut in and place it near to his hutch. Currently his hutch is "safe" and everything else is different and frightening, offering another safe place close to his hutch may entice him out a little

Good luck

Thanks everyone! He munches a lot of hay tonibun so that's good to hear - he may not be a 'toy' kind of rabbit.
I think I'll give him a few more days and then take him over to the carpet in the hallway (it's closed off by doors, so makes a good rabbit-proof run for him). Even with the blankets and towels on the wood, he doesn't seem to like it. He used to go in the house sometimes with his previous owner (he's shown me photos so I'm guessing it's true) so hopefully the transition isn't totally alien to him but I'm giving him lots of space to adjust. Luckily, I live alone so there's very little noise and nobody walking past his cage (he's in my kitchen/dining room and sleeps when I'm cooking and never jumps at any noises). I have my spare room which is carpeted but it has a lot of furniture and isn't very rabbit proof. Plus, I'm very rarely in there and feel like I would constantly be sitting in the spare room to spend time with him and see what he is up to. I'm hoping to keep him as a single house bunny, purely because of his size. He was alone in his previous household apart from a brief time with a female who he got pregnant. I would have to get him neutered and would have to totally decrease his living space by having another bun (he is the size of a small dog).
Thanks Motty, sounds like a good idea. I'll try that!
Thanks again everyone. Just wanted to make sure I'm doing the right thing by letting him set the pace.

Just a quick update - yesterday he came out of his cage for the first time and sat on my lap while sniffing me. Since then, he's been out about three times (this morning for over an hour) having a thorough explore and good hop around! Thanks for all your advice x

Thanks everyone. We've went from strength to strength this week and he has done his first few binkies and has started licking me and sitting on my feet. So cute and well worth the wait :)

Back