• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting more fibre into a bun with dental issues

catxx

Mama Doe
Further to this thread, Bob has been doing some pretty manky poops lately and I suspect because he's favouring easier to eat foods than hay as he's now missing all his molars on one side of his mouth. He's also gagged a couple of times when he's been eating veg a bit larger than usual, it's so sad as he used to wolf down his food and do amazing poops :(

Have been leaving Fibasticks out for them but they're not a fan of those at the moment. Also have Readigrass and getting some different hay today.

Would welcome any tips on other easy-to-munch things for a dental bun to get those poops looking better! He's still loving chopped veg, normal pellets and dried forage.

Thanks! We have lots of brambles at the end of the garden and they love them, will chop some tonight for him. Having to slice everything into strips for him or he struggles. Poor little mite!

I’m thinking of different fibre options for my bunny too, he had his first dental last week. I’ve found he wasn’t keen on fiba first at first but they seem to be growing on him. I’m waiting on hay samples from the hay experts and Timothy hay companies. I started a thread asking about favourite hay and chopped grass and there was a few ideas there.

My bunny suddenly went off the farm baled stuff that he loved, and the grasstastic chop that he also really liked. He now eats readigrass, and 2 hays that I bought from the pet shop, Timothy with dandelion and meadow hay with nettles but as soon as it’s on the floor or been there for a while he won’t eat it, so I’ve been tipping any leftovers in a bag for the goats. They are happy to eat it :lol:

I’m going to try and get some of the oat readigrass and the Timothy readigrass and see if he likes them. It’s like a bunny tapas with all the dishes and boxes of hay and forage in his room:lol:

Hope you find some things that Bob likes xx

I have some more forage and hay coming today (including a hay with plantain in it which is a favourite), and some dried echinacea leaves which are meant to be good for the immune system which he would definitely like help with at the moment.

Trouble is he does still like hay, but I think he's scared himself with the gagging episodes and doesn't want to try and eat it. I have both Timothy and regular Readigrass. Will soon be able to chop him some fresh grass too.

Such tricky little monsters!

I have some more forage and hay coming today (including a hay with plantain in it which is a favourite), and some dried echinacea leaves which are meant to be good for the immune system which he would definitely like help with at the moment.

Trouble is he does still like hay, but I think he's scared himself with the gagging episodes and doesn't want to try and eat it. I have both Timothy and regular Readigrass. Will soon be able to chop him some fresh grass too.

Such tricky little monsters!

Yes, I think my Frosty associated the hay and the grasstastic with his sore mouth, so I’ve changed hay and also how I feed it, too. He’s eating more of the hay I’ve put in a trough in a different place to usual spot in the end of his litter tray, even though I’ve changed from a rack there to feeding from a trough (aka an extra long metal loaf tin I got from the charity shop :lol:)

never used it myself, but I know a few people have spoken very highly of fibreplex, along with vets recommending it. it might be worth a shot for helping get some more fibre in him?

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Protexin-F...1etJXh7mPohvMpP2VlOfmyOhUchR3xZMaArHhEALw_wcB

I have this if I'm really stuck, but he is a bun who puts up quite a physical and noisy fight when it comes to being syringed. He's on pain meds at the moment for the lump which I'm feeding to him via a blob on a mint leaf. Might pop some Fibreplex into him the same way!

I've also used fibre-plex, bunny loves it, but I found it a bit expensive, as it was difficult to just push out the amount recommended, so didn't last long. I've used, and still use protexin profibre, which is in nugget form. I just sprinkle a little bit on top of Burgess nuggets, or just on top of hay. It costs around £12 for a big tub, and lasts ages.
Oxbow orchard grass is very long, fine strands. I sometimes chop it a bit smaller for Treacle, as she finds that easier to eat.

Fresh forage, oxbow orchard grass or botanical hay & pro-fibre is what I've used on my own rabbits and as you know we use dengie fibre feeds, green oat hay, dried forage and pro-fibre those at the rescue for those that need to eat more fibre. Fibre sticks I find many wont touch them.

So, I can report back now I’ve got the hay experts samples. back that burns green oat hay is a favourite, he also loves the oxbow orchard grass and the western Timothy hay too :)

May try some of the Oat hay but he can be a bit hit and miss. He was interested in his Pure Pastures hay, the one with rose petals and plantain mixed in. He was also VERY pleased I got some more Fenugreek Crunchies. Got a blob of Fibreplex into him via a mint leaf but he's getting suspicious of me doing that. They had a small handful of fresh grass, fresh strawberry leaves and fresh blackberry leaves last night - unfortunately the new blackberry leaves haven't come out yet and are still buds.

He did one hell of a stinker of a poop this morning but was very bright in himself and happily tucked into breakfast. Left him with a bowl of Readigrass (regular and timothy) with some dried echinacea on top for the day as well as their regular hay and a couple of scattered pellets.

Last edited:
Back