Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not interested in his hay :(

I've always offered 1 eggcup (15g) per adult body weight, something my vet advised also. so if for instance they will grow to be roughly 2kg, then they receive 2 eggcups up until 6 months.

I wouldn't advise filling a small bowl with pellet. bunnies highly value pellet and if they can, they will only eat pellet. it tastes good and I know (or it was) pets at home was higher in sugar. with having a sweet tooth, they much prefer that over anything else. good hay eating habits start at a young age, so you'll want him eating plenty of hay. I fed my first bun on P@H pellet and he had very poor hay eating due to overfeeding pellet, but he also didn't want science selective as that was healthier and clearly didn't taste as sweet.

pets at home pellets aren't the best, I would suggest moving onto science selective or burgess, the two best brands out there.

this site offers a food comparison and breaks down what makes a good pellet
    http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/r...comparison.asp

honestly, I've never had an issue with greens, likely because the breeders have already introduced them. I'm guessing he came from P@H? they already feed vegetables so I wouldn't worry too much. perhaps not the best ones but.. they do feed them.

my advice would be to introduce foods slowly, and make sure to do some research. some greens can cause gas or stasis to sensitive bunnies, others are high in sugar which isn't good. generally, herbs are a very safe bet and mine love them! perhaps offer 2-3 pieces of one type of herb, leave it a few days, offer another type of herb and repeat. that way you can see if they upset his tummy and if not, feel free to offer a few more and gradually increase the amount. most offer a ball of herbs the size of said bunnies head per day.

make sure not to feed the same over and over and to offer a variety also

I'm glad you got him to eat! mixing in dried forage or offering multiple types of hay (also important if you go for a pellet free diet) can also encourage eating. they seem to get a bit bored with just one type of hay.

Snoopy : 14.02.15 - 12.05.17 [mini rex]👑Luna : 14.02.15 [rex]👑Orion : 21.10.17 [mini rex]

Quote Originally Posted by binkyCodie View Post
    I've always offered 1 eggcup (15g) per adult body weight, something my vet advised also. so if for instance they will grow to be roughly 2kg, then they receive 2 eggcups up until 6 months.

I wouldn't advise filling a small bowl with pellet. bunnies highly value pellet and if they can, they will only eat pellet. it tastes good and I know (or it was) pets at home was higher in sugar. with having a sweet tooth, they much prefer that over anything else. good hay eating habits start at a young age, so you'll want him eating plenty of hay. I fed my first bun on P@H pellet and he had very poor hay eating due to overfeeding pellet, but he also didn't want science selective as that was healthier and clearly didn't taste as sweet.

pets at home pellets aren't the best, I would suggest moving onto science selective or burgess, the two best brands out there.

this site offers a food comparison and breaks down what makes a good pellet
    http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/r...comparison.asp

honestly, I've never had an issue with greens, likely because the breeders have already introduced them. I'm guessing he came from P@H? they already feed vegetables so I wouldn't worry too much. perhaps not the best ones but.. they do feed them.

my advice would be to introduce foods slowly, and make sure to do some research. some greens can cause gas or stasis to sensitive bunnies, others are high in sugar which isn't good. generally, herbs are a very safe bet and mine love them! perhaps offer 2-3 pieces of one type of herb, leave it a few days, offer another type of herb and repeat. that way you can see if they upset his tummy and if not, feel free to offer a few more and gradually increase the amount. most offer a ball of herbs the size of said bunnies head per day.

make sure not to feed the same over and over and to offer a variety also

I'm glad you got him to eat! mixing in dried forage or offering multiple types of hay (also important if you go for a pellet free diet) can also encourage eating. they seem to get a bit bored with just one type of hay.

Yes he came from P@H - and they said they were feeding him their own brand pellets and so I wanted him to be comfortable when he came home, so thought it best that I give him what he's used to.

This morning I've only given him a very small amount (about an egg cup full) and he seems to be enjoying his hay more. I think I might also give him a bit of Kale later today and see how he likes it (The bag in the fridge is going to go off soon otherwise!!)

I might look online to try and get some sample bags of hay as well as pellets, do you know if anywhere (including websites) does small bags of sample pellets?

Quote Originally Posted by Jo93 View Post
    Yes he came from P@H - and they said they were feeding him their own brand pellets and so I wanted him to be comfortable when he came home, so thought it best that I give him what he's used to.

This morning I've only given him a very small amount (about an egg cup full) and he seems to be enjoying his hay more. I think I might also give him a bit of Kale later today and see how he likes it (The bag in the fridge is going to go off soon otherwise!!)

I might look online to try and get some sample bags of hay as well as pellets, do you know if anywhere (including websites) does small bags of sample pellets?
    The hay experts and hay and straw.co.uk do samples of hay, and I think Timothy hay.co.uk do too. I don’t know about pellet manufacturers but if you email or phone them I’m sure they would send you some.

I feed excel junior/dwarf, and fibafirst sticks, I can send you some of those if you want to pm me your address?

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    The hay experts and hay and straw.co.uk do samples of hay, and I think Timothy hay.co.uk do too. I donít know about pellet manufacturers but if you email or phone them Iím sure they would send you some.

I feed excel junior/dwarf, and fibafirst sticks, I can send you some of those if you want to pm me your address?

That's so thoughtful and kind of you - I will message you now

Thank you!

oh yes, its best to keep him on his normal diet first and then slowly swap over to a better brand swapping over too fast can heavily upset their tums and with the stress of a new home, its all a bit much.

if you'd like, I'm happy to send a few samples too of science selective? I have adult and junior pellet to hand right now so I could send you both to try. if you do, feel free to PM me your address.

hayandstraw offer samples of their hay, they're the only place to sell ings hay which is known for being sweet. its a little softer than meadow & timothy hay, but mine love it which is the important. I ordered more recently as they're a bit bored of their meadow hay.

they also get fibafirst sticks which help grind down their teeth, and vitakraft rolls. both are very high in fibre and they make excellent alternatives for treats as they're very healthy.

bunnies are fussy little things

Snoopy : 14.02.15 - 12.05.17 [mini rex]👑Luna : 14.02.15 [rex]👑Orion : 21.10.17 [mini rex]

Quote Originally Posted by binkyCodie View Post
    oh yes, its best to keep him on his normal diet first and then slowly swap over to a better brand swapping over too fast can heavily upset their tums and with the stress of a new home, its all a bit much.

if you'd like, I'm happy to send a few samples too of science selective? I have adult and junior pellet to hand right now so I could send you both to try. if you do, feel free to PM me your address.

hayandstraw offer samples of their hay, they're the only place to sell ings hay which is known for being sweet. its a little softer than meadow & timothy hay, but mine love it which is the important. I ordered more recently as they're a bit bored of their meadow hay.

they also get fibafirst sticks which help grind down their teeth, and vitakraft rolls. both are very high in fibre and they make excellent alternatives for treats as they're very healthy.

bunnies are fussy little things

I would love to try some of the junior science selective if you dont mind? I will send you my address

I think I'm also going to try some of those fibafirst sticks as I've heard a lot of people talk highly of them!