• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is your rabbit’s favourite hay/chopped grass

Zoobec

Staff member
So, Frosty had a dental this week, his first one, he’s always been a hay eating monster but suddenly went off the baled hay he’s always loved, when he needed the dental, and now he won’t eat it, almost at all. I’ve ordered sample packs off the hay experts and bought some vita Kraft vita verde meadow hay with nettle, which he eats but not much, and vita kraft vita verde Timothy hay with dandelion, which he seems to like best now he’s settled down, and he’s eating great amounts of it :thumb:

He’s not so keen on the grasstastic chop now, so I bought a small bag of readigrass but he’s not overly bothered by that either :roll:

Maybe he has negative associations with the hay and the grasstastic because his mouth was sore :?

So, needing to find alternatives, what would be your bunnies top choices in hays and chopped grass?

All my fussy non-hay eater will eat are the tiny, absurdly expensive bags of Chamomile Hay/Herby Hay from Pets at Home. I'm not sure what kind of grass they're made from, but they've got really fine, really long strands, as opposed to being chopped into smaller pieces. They're like £2.99 for a 500g bag :roll: But its the only hay Jack will touch (have spent a lot of money finding this out!), and thankfully my others aren't as fussy!

All my fussy non-hay eater will eat are the tiny, absurdly expensive bags of Chamomile Hay/Herby Hay from Pets at Home. I'm not sure what kind of grass they're made from, but they've got really fine, really long strands, as opposed to being chopped into smaller pieces. They're like £2.99 for a 500g bag :roll: But its the only hay Jack will touch (have spent a lot of money finding this out!), and thankfully my others aren't as fussy!

Thanks, that’s one for him to try! Luckily any hay that Frosty rejects is hoovered up by the goats :lol: the 2 tiny bags I bought the other day cost more than a big bale :roll::lol:

Mine have always liked hay for pets Ings hay and have this as their main source. They've also always gone mad for Alfalfa King Timothy hay, which is quite pricey!

He may find fresh grass easier to eat at the moment, rather than hay, as it is softer on the mouth.

He may find fresh grass easier to eat at the moment, rather than hay, as it is softer on the mouth.

Yes, definitely,I’ve been picking lots of grass and plantain and he’s been eating lots of that fine :thumb: he’s also eating more of the fibafirst sticks too. I’m just wanting to give him the tastiest hays to make sure he eats lots of that. Even if he won’t eat the baled stuff again after!

The girls like the hay from www.timothyhay.co.uk

They also like deans meadow hay which is sold by local pet shops although lately the quality hasn't been great.

I can maybe send you a little box of the Timothy hay if you'd like to try it?
If not send them an email and they'll often send a sample that way too.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Mine all love the two B&M hays, both pretty cheap but they actually seem to prefer the cheapest £3.50 for 3.5kg one. The greener £1.99 for 1kg one with dried flowers is actually softer though. Both my pairs have a large bale of farm hay in their covered runs which they continually nibble on as well but the B&M hay gets topped up daily and is definitely popular.

The girls like the hay from www.timothyhay.co.uk

They also like deans meadow hay which is sold by local pet shops although lately the quality hasn't been great.

I can maybe send you a little box of the Timothy hay if you'd like to try it?
If not send them an email and they'll often send a sample that way too.

Thanks, that’s very kind:love: I’ve heard good reports about the hay. I’ve actually already sent them an email but no reply yet. Hopefully they will send me a sample soon, if not I’d love to take you up on your kind offer xx

Thanks, that’s very kind:love: I’ve heard good reports about the hay. I’ve actually already sent them an email but no reply yet. Hopefully they will send me a sample soon, if not I’d love to take you up on your kind offer xx
Just drop me a PM :)

Because of Atticus and his gut issue we have a lot of different hay..

We currently have:

Ings hay

Timothyhay.co.uk - Timothy and their oat hay

Basically all the tiny small expensive bags that oxbow sell

Few different ones with forage mixed in, think ones called nature's own? A few different types of hay cookies [emoji38] oh and one that's not been tested yet has nettle mixed in.

I've probably forgotten a few - finding things for Atticus to try is long [emoji38]

Anyway if you want to try any of the stuff lemme know I can chuck some in different freezer bags and send it over [emoji23]

Hope frosty works out what he likes :D x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Because of Atticus and his gut issue we have a lot of different hay..

We currently have:

Ings hay

Timothyhay.co.uk - Timothy and their oat hay

Basically all the tiny small expensive bags that oxbow sell

Few different ones with forage mixed in, think ones called nature's own? A few different types of hay cookies [emoji38] oh and one that's not been tested yet has nettle mixed in.

I've probably forgotten a few - finding things for Atticus to try is long [emoji38]

Anyway if you want to try any of the stuff lemme know I can chuck some in different freezer bags and send it over [emoji23]

Hope frosty works out what he likes :D x

Thanks, that’s a lovely offer :love: I’m waiting on Timothy hay samples from the Timothy hay company, and I’ve ordered a sample pack from the hay experts, i think some of the ones you’ve mentioned are included:thumb: if I need any more if it’s ok I’ll send you a PM? xx

All this info is great, thanks :thumb: I don’t mind buying smaller bags of stuff for him to try, as the goats are more than willing to hoover up any rejects, but the larger bags of expensive stuff he will need to sample first.
At the moment he has a tapas of hays, grasses and flowers to pick from:lol:

Thanks, that’s a lovely offer :love: I’m waiting on Timothy hay samples from the Timothy hay company, and I’ve ordered a sample pack from the hay experts, i think some of the ones you’ve mentioned are included:thumb: if I need any more if it’s ok I’ll send you a PM? xx
Yea go for it :D x

Back