Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your rabbit’s favourite hay/chopped grass

Default What is your rabbit’s favourite hay/chopped grass

So, Frosty had a dental this week, his first one, he’s always been a hay eating monster but suddenly went off the baled hay he’s always loved, when he needed the dental, and now he won’t eat it, almost at all. I’ve ordered sample packs off the hay experts and bought some vita Kraft vita verde meadow hay with nettle, which he eats but not much, and vita kraft vita verde Timothy hay with dandelion, which he seems to like best now he’s settled down, and he’s eating great amounts of it

He’s not so keen on the grasstastic chop now, so I bought a small bag of readigrass but he’s not overly bothered by that either

Maybe he has negative associations with the hay and the grasstastic because his mouth was sore

So, needing to find alternatives, what would be your bunnies top choices in hays and chopped grass?

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Warren Scout

All my fussy non-hay eater will eat are the tiny, absurdly expensive bags of Chamomile Hay/Herby Hay from Pets at Home. I'm not sure what kind of grass they're made from, but they've got really fine, really long strands, as opposed to being chopped into smaller pieces. They're like £2.99 for a 500g bag But its the only hay Jack will touch (have spent a lot of money finding this out!), and thankfully my others aren't as fussy!

Quote Originally Posted by capable View Post
    All my fussy non-hay eater will eat are the tiny, absurdly expensive bags of Chamomile Hay/Herby Hay from Pets at Home. I'm not sure what kind of grass they're made from, but they've got really fine, really long strands, as opposed to being chopped into smaller pieces. They're like £2.99 for a 500g bag But its the only hay Jack will touch (have spent a lot of money finding this out!), and thankfully my others aren't as fussy!
    Thanks, that’s one for him to try! Luckily any hay that Frosty rejects is hoovered up by the goats the 2 tiny bags I bought the other day cost more than a big bale

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Mine have always liked hay for pets Ings hay and have this as their main source. They've also always gone mad for Alfalfa King Timothy hay, which is quite pricey!

If you need help with anything PM me or any of the other forum buddies (name shown in green)

A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Surgery in Twickenham, SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

Mama Doe

He may find fresh grass easier to eat at the moment, rather than hay, as it is softer on the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    He may find fresh grass easier to eat at the moment, rather than hay, as it is softer on the mouth.
    Yes, definitely,I’ve been picking lots of grass and plantain and he’s been eating lots of that fine he’s also eating more of the fibafirst sticks too. I’m just wanting to give him the tastiest hays to make sure he eats lots of that. Even if he won’t eat the baled stuff again after!

The girls like the hay from www.timothyhay.co.uk

They also like deans meadow hay which is sold by local pet shops although lately the quality hasn't been great.

I can maybe send you a little box of the Timothy hay if you'd like to try it?
    If not send them an email and they'll often send a sample that way too.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    I'm doing the Race For Life 5k in aid of Cancer Research on the 8th July. If you'd like to sponsor me, please do at the following link: https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.o...e-for-life-204

Mine all love the two B&M hays, both pretty cheap but they actually seem to prefer the cheapest £3.50 for 3.5kg one. The greener £1.99 for 1kg one with dried flowers is actually softer though. Both my pairs have a large bale of farm hay in their covered runs which they continually nibble on as well but the B&M hay gets topped up daily and is definitely popular.