• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Muddy Floor

Toffs and Pebbs

Warren Scout
Hey guys!

My Rabbits are doing quite well nowadays and I'm happy with how things are going but there is one thing that I wish I could supply for them 24/7 and that is grass. They have a big run which inside has a hutch that they can hide or sleep in if they need too. My only concern is that the floor where the hutch isn't and it is just ground (which is covered by mesh flooring for digging purposes, they don't dig as much anymore though!) is that the grass has just kind of disappeared! I sweep the floor up regularly as my rabbits are quite messy but the grass just either has been killed or refuses to grow! Does anyone else have this problem? Is there anything I can do about it?

(I wasn't too sure where to put this please move it if necessary!)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The problem with runs on grass is that they soon become mud! Most people use concrete slabs, I’ve seen people grow grass in pots for their rabbits.

Thank you! I will see if I can look into that grass pot idea, the only reason why we don't have slabs is because my mum doesn't want to ruin her garden!

Thank you! I will see if I can look into that grass pot idea, the only reason why we don't have slabs is because my mum doesn't want to ruin her garden!

I can understand that:lol: but I think I would prefer slabs to mud ;) and it can always be returfed to return it to lawn at a later time. Unless you have any other places your run could go, such as on a patio?

I can understand that:lol: but I think I would prefer slabs to mud ;) and it can always be returfed to return it to lawn at a later time. Unless you have any other places your run could go, such as on a patio?

We do have a patio but my mum isn’t keen on that either as it is quite close to the house! I agree that slabs is probably better than mud and it could be returfed, I’ll talk to the boss man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do have a patio but my mum isn’t keen on that either as it is quite close to the house! I agree that slabs is probably better than mud and it could be returfed, I’ll talk to the boss man!

I hope that you can come up with a plan to suit everyone:thumb: years ago, when I had outdoor rabbits, our run was too big to slab economically and it was also too big a job. We meshed it with weldmesh then used playbark for the floor. Luckily the rabbits didn’t use it as a toilet and it worked well. I had to replace the bark or top it up periodically. It has to be playbark not ornamental bark as ornamental bark is treated with chemicals and could harm them if they eat it. You can also use rubber stable matting: thumb:

I hope that you can come up with a plan to suit everyone:thumb: years ago, when I had outdoor rabbits, our run was too big to slab economically and it was also too big a job. We meshed it with weldmesh then used playbark for the floor. Luckily the rabbits didn’t use it as a toilet and it worked well. I had to replace the bark or top it up periodically. It has to be playbark not ornamental bark as ornamental bark is treated with chemicals and could harm them if they eat it. You can also use rubber stable matting: thumb:

I do similar - my walk in runs are on hard packed ground which is meshed then covered with hardwood chips (the chicken run type not the treated softwood mulch type) and a layer of hay. It works pretty well, I replace the wood chips in spring and late winter as they go a bit manky by then, as well as topping up when needed. My ultimate aim is to slab the runs though, it just seems a lot easier and more hygienic.

I do similar - my walk in runs are on hard packed ground which is meshed then covered with hardwood chips (the chicken run type not the treated softwood mulch type) and a layer of hay. It works pretty well, I replace the wood chips in spring and late winter as they go a bit manky by then, as well as topping up when needed. My ultimate aim is to slab the runs though, it just seems a lot easier and more hygienic.

I agree with you that having slabs is easier and more hygienic especially in my case as they are constantly running around on dirt (mud in bad weather!)

That sounds good if my mum doesn’t want to pay a lot for the slabs (even though we know quite a lot of DIY people) so thank you!

That sounds good if my mum doesn’t want to pay a lot for the slabs (even though we know quite a lot of DIY people) so thank you!

Sometimes you can get slabs free from freeloved, Freecycle, or cheap from gumtree, preloved, schpock etc

We got lots of really cheap slabs from ebay, but they were very heavy industrial style and broke our cars suspension :shock:. Also we laid them ourselves and didnt fill the gaps so the poo gets stuck in them :oops:

Our other run was on grass, but that's completely mud now. It's actually not too bad though because I keep it covered with tarp so it's quite dried out and is pretty usable. They have a tray in one corner and use that, so it doesn't become a pooey mess x

We got lots of really cheap slabs from ebay, but they were very heavy industrial style and broke our cars suspension :shock:. Also we laid them ourselves and didnt fill the gaps so the poo gets stuck in them :oops:

Our other run was on grass, but that's completely mud now. It's actually not too bad though because I keep it covered with tarp so it's quite dried out and is pretty usable. They have a tray in one corner and use that, so it doesn't become a pooey mess x

Yh, with our run, half of it is covered securely and the other half just lets sunlight in but when there is snow or rain, the uncovered half gets snowy or wet! Hopefully if we have a dry, hot summer it should clear up from the snowy and wet winter we have had! Also thanks for the ideas on where to get slabs even though they broke your cars suspension! [emoji23]

I've got a load of old concrete crazy paving sat in my garage you could have? I moved it from my old house so I know how much my car can take :D I can always make an excuse to visit Essex and Suffolk but I dunno if I can fit it all on one trip, and it'll be a while before I can access it, but it'll just go on freecycle if you don't want it (when I get around to seeing it for the first time in 6yrs).

Lawns are a lot more work to keep as grass than people think! Except Jacks-Jane's, dunno what magick she's using but it's working for her grass! :lol:

I've got a load of old concrete crazy paving sat in my garage you could have? I moved it from my old house so I know how much my car can take :D I can always make an excuse to visit Essex and Suffolk but I dunno if I can fit it all on one trip, and it'll be a while before I can access it, but it'll just go on freecycle if you don't want it (when I get around to seeing it for the first time in 6yrs).

Lawns are a lot more work to keep as grass than people think! Except Jacks-Jane's, dunno what magick she's using but it's working for her grass! :lol:

Thanks for the offer but we do have some spare stone slabs that I recently found out about so that would help a lot! But thank you as always!

We will have to ask her!! I’m sure she could share her magic with us [emoji23]

Back