• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental

I think if I am making his quality of life better, then, if The worst case scenario ever happened at least it was because I was trying to help him. One day I might get a normal animal in my life that doesn't cause me worry and stress. My main problem Is I always think how the animal will be feeling when in reality they don't think like humans ,well I dont think they do but what I do know is, they all deserve a chance x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

You are such a caring person, I have no doubt any rabbit in your care will be more than looked after.

I think you suffer yourself with a lot of worry though.

Sending lots of vibes for Jimmy. I hope the vet visit goes well today and you can have a good discussion.

I am back from vets they kept him in. There was no ulcers this time and his spurs were tiny but but pointy. The vets said in jimmys situation there isn't much that can be done apart from constant dentals and they can range anything from 2 weeks onwards and every time can be different .I guess this is the way it is gonna be from now on.i asked about conscious dentals and they said they can do them but it is a personal decision whether I opt for them or not. Personally I think if I am going through this every 4 weeks I might just try it and see. It gives me something to think about anyway

I am back from vets they kept him in. There was no ulcers this time and his spurs were tiny but but pointy. The vets said in jimmys situation there isn't much that can be done apart from constant dentals and they can range anything from 2 weeks onwards and every time can be different .I guess this is the way it is gonna be from now on.i asked about conscious dentals and they said they can do them but it is a personal decision whether I opt for them or not. Personally I think if I am going through this every 4 weeks I might just try it and see. It gives me something to think about anyway

Well at least you have the option now of considering conscious dentals as an alternative to a GA each time.

I hope Jimmy is OK today - sending vibes xx

How's Jimmy today? Still foxing you?
Thanks for asking, he's not my friend, he is in the huff with Me which I do find quite amusing.He is eating anything again though and taking his metacam no problem but I cannot get the zantak into him. I am not gonna force it because I dont think he needs it anyway. You would think he would he thankful I fixed him, but no, he is annoyed with Me. Typical man..
Do you know why he had a blue bandage attached to his ear, they told me to take it off when I got home. I've never brought him home with that before

Thanks for asking, he's not my friend, he is in the huff with Me which I do find quite amusing.He is eating anything again though and taking his metacam no problem but I cannot get the zantak into him. I am not gonna force it because I dont think he needs it anyway. You would think he would he thankful I fixed him, but no, he is annoyed with Me. Typical man..
Do you know why he had a blue bandage attached to his ear, they told me to take it off when I got home. I've never brought him home with that before

They probably put an IV (intra venous) line into an ear vein to administer fluids whilst he was there. Either that or it would be when a sample of blood was taken.

I am guessing the former?

It will be because he had a cannula put into his ear vein to administer IV drugs/fluids. The bandage will have been to make sure the vein did not bleed out x

Is his ear bruised at all?

Typical man eh? You could try putting the Zantac on a small piece of bread?

Is his ear bruised at all?

Typical man eh? You could try putting the Zantac on a small piece of bread?
Oh that's a good idea I didn't know they could eat bread, I will try that. His ear seems fine , he was still very dopey when I picked him from the vets but once the anaesthetic wore off he was back to his normal silly self. Norah kept grooming him insesantly, she was such a good nurse for him until the food came out and then she ate everything he didn't eat. I didn't mind as they had had a stressful time. I have ended up with a right couple of weirdos. Norah with her constant runny eye and Jimmy and his forever growing teeth. Only me [emoji16]

Oh that's a good idea I didn't know they could eat bread, I will try that. His ear seems fine , he was still very dopey when I picked him from the vets but once the anaesthetic wore off he was back to his normal silly self. Norah kept grooming him insesantly, she was such a good nurse for him until the food came out and then she ate everything he didn't eat. I didn't mind as they had had a stressful time. I have ended up with a right couple of weirdos. Norah with her constant runny eye and Jimmy and his forever growing teeth. Only me [emoji16]

You do make me laugh :lol:

Say that bit about the bread very quietly, as it's not a rabbity food .... but a tiny square will be OK. Some people have recommended malted shreddies, but they have sugar, so probably even worse :shock::lol:

What a right pair you have :p

You do make me laugh [emoji38]

Say that bit about the bread very quietly, as it's not a rabbity food .... but a tiny square will be OK. Some people have recommended malted shreddies, but they have sugar, so probably even worse :shock:[emoji38]

What a right pair you have :p
Thanks for the bread tip it has worked [emoji3]x

Back