• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you choose a name for a rabbit?

When I was little I had a grey dutch bunny who was called Puzzle because I didnt know what sex he/she was and didnt like the idea of looking!!!!

Most animals here have arrived with their names from rescues, but Cuthbert was a joke but it suits him, to me he is like an old slightly eccentric gentleman whereas Dillon is just a thug in fluffy pants

Your user name is so descriptive and I wondered why you chose those names - You have described them perfectly :lol:

Puzzle is good. I once had to 'adjust' the name of a rabbit because she turned into a male :shock:

its harder to decide these days as we have to agree. I tend to use short names that get made in to long silly nicknames, Noodle was Noodle Poodle P!ssy Pants for many years. I've always liked the names I've given my rabbits , especially Ralph :love: For me I have to meet the bunny first, their name comes once I've got to know them a bit

Ah yes, if you have to collaborate then the discussion could go on for longer, I agree :)

Poor Noodle ... I wonder if she ever realised what you were saying to her :lol:

honestly, if my first bunny would have been a black and white rabbit, they would have been named penguin. I'm glad I didn't :lol:

I've always named pets via color or something about them. there has been an odd exception once or twice, but I've had Honey, Whiskers, Miyou (meaning dark), Chocolate & Snowy, Bambi & Thumper (one was grey, one was brown), Comet (grey), Brownie, Luna (her speckled tummy reminds me of stars).

other times.. I'm not sure why on earth I chose the name!! those would end up being Felix, Snoopy and Eeyore. I think it was just because of something I liked and it seemed to fit well.

for the bunnies, I just seem to yell names at them and what they respond too, is what they get called :lol: Luna was originally called Nibbles but I didn't like that, so I sat there for a while calling names. she binkyed full force at me with Luna so I decided that was her name, and it fitted very well.

since then for the bunnies I've decided I want to stick with a theme, and that is astrology. that's how Orion got his name, but its not the usual way of pronouncing it. his is "OR - EE - UN" rather than the usual "O - RYAN".

"OR - EE - UN" comes from the Greek pronunciation of the huntsman who Zeus put among the stars, hence how we have the constellation "The Huntsman" or less commonly referred to as Orion, except in most parts of the world its pronounced "O - RYAN". I didn't like how O - RYAN and Luna sounded, OR - EE - UN sounded much smoother IMO.

when I have pairs of pets, their names have to fit together nicely or I'm not having it! or it must be a theme. for instance I have two gerbils named Wine Gum and Liquorice, but we're lazy so he gets called Liquor 99% of the time :lol:

I love the names of those lipsticks from the 'old days' :lol:

I know I've said it before, but Piper has a special place in my heart - but didn't you say she's a bit of a tearaway?

Piper is a cutie but he’s a real bully with the girls he lives with, especially Jet. He really chases her around but there’s no fighting. Think it’s cos he’s a nethie..

honestly, if my first bunny would have been a black and white rabbit, they would have been named penguin. I'm glad I didn't :lol:

I've always named pets via color or something about them. there has been an odd exception once or twice, but I've had Honey, Whiskers, Miyou (meaning dark), Chocolate & Snowy, Bambi & Thumper (one was grey, one was brown), Comet (grey), Brownie, Luna (her speckled tummy reminds me of stars).

other times.. I'm not sure why on earth I chose the name!! those would end up being Felix, Snoopy and Eeyore. I think it was just because of something I liked and it seemed to fit well.

for the bunnies, I just seem to yell names at them and what they respond too, is what they get called :lol: Luna was originally called Nibbles but I didn't like that, so I sat there for a while calling names. she binkyed full force at me with Luna so I decided that was her name, and it fitted very well.

since then for the bunnies I've decided I want to stick with a theme, and that is astrology. that's how Orion got his name, but its not the usual way of pronouncing it. his is "OR - EE - UN" rather than the usual "O - RYAN".

"OR - EE - UN" comes from the Greek pronunciation of the huntsman who Zeus put among the stars, hence how we have the constellation "The Huntsman" or less commonly referred to as Orion, except in most parts of the world its pronounced "O - RYAN". I didn't like how O - RYAN and Luna sounded, OR - EE - UN sounded much smoother IMO.

when I have pairs of pets, their names have to fit together nicely or I'm not having it! or it must be a theme. for instance I have two gerbils named Wine Gum and Liquorice, but we're lazy so he gets called Liquor 99% of the time :lol:

I love your techniques for naming bunnies BC :wave:

I haven't heard of yelling their names and seeing what they respond to ... I usually do it the other way around :lol:

And pairs of names that fit together, now that's something I've never done. Probably because I always add one to the mix and they either come with a recognised name or I like to try and think up another original one.

I love the name Luna, though it's one I have never used for my rabbits :)

Back