• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding with a new animal......

camerajuan

Warren Scout
Been a while since I've been on here!

Anyhoo, my last idea to convince my OH to get a double decker cage & a female bunny for Phoebs to play with ( ;) ) has now changed.

We're buying a house this year. Hoping to get a 3 bed so we can have a spare room & an office space while keeping Phoebs in the lounge. He loves it by the TV & don't think he'd enjoy anything else!

Every time we go to pick him up from our bunny boarders, we're told stories of him snuggling into their dog while she sleeps. This dog is the most beautiful, timid & loving staffy I have ever met. Raised from puppy with 2 kids & loads of small animals in the house, it's as docile as a russian hamster in hibernation.

We've both wanted a dog our whole lives. Neither set of parents sorted that out for us & we've had Phoebs since we've had our own flat but can't get a dog still. Now that we're buying, we're really hoping it would be ok to get a dog! Definitely rescuing as every rescue dog I've met or encountered is a loving wimp which would be amazing.

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated!

:D:D:D

Bumping this up for you as I have never had a dog whilst keeping bunnies. What about a rabbit friend for Phoebs and a dog. I presume you have lots of time for a dog and you can't predict how a rabbit and a dog would get along. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

I personally wouldn't but I know some people who have rabbits and dogs cohabiting.

For safety they're separated any time the owner isn't home and interaction is closely monitored.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I have a poodle X, he is fine around the rabbits/small furries but they are always separated as you just never know what might happen, even though he is a small dog he could still very easily injure a bunny by accident. We used to have rabbits free range our old flat but I've always had dogs growing up and really missed not having them, so I made the decision the rabbits would have their own bedroom so I can have a dog when we moved into a house.

I have dogs and hope to soon have a house rabbit (or two). The rabbit/s will have their own room (the same room that the guinea pigs live in atm, up on tables in a c and c cage) with a large pen and a pet gate on the door way (which I will be meshing with weld mesh in case the rabbit/s somehow escape their pen).

The dogs are never allowed in the pet room just in case.

Best of luck with your search for a laid back dog.

Personally I would never leave a dog (or cat for that matter) unattended with a rabbit, as others have said you don’t know what will happen when instincts kick in even if you think the dog will be fine.

Back