• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chime's Babies Update post 17 for 28/03

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
I was wrong about Chime's babies..there are 6!
But the reason I thought only 5 was one little one hidden right at bottom of nest and you can see from pic little Pinky isn't doing as well as it's siblings.
I doubt Chime will let me assist feed ( Marsala was great when little Spoonful needed help last Oct) as she doesn't like to be touched at all, but if tomorrow this little one is still here and looking behind I will try.

chimesbabies220318 by Jill Woodward, on Flickr

Last edited:
UPDATE ON CHIMES BABIES 23 MARCH
Well yesterday evening I checked on babies and little Pinky was still unfed and not looking great..so attempt at assist feed. Chime did not like it but I held her and little one on her teat. Managed for about 12-14 seconds, doesn't seem much but for a very tiny stomach enough it seems.
This morning checked again..and Pinky and all siblings had a full tum except for the pale white and grey who was empty? So this one had a short, about 10 seconds, assist feed but all look to be doing well so now hope I can leave mum to it but will check them again tomorrow.
CAN I STRESS PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU ARE VERY CONFIDENT WITH RABBITS, KNOW WHAT YOURE DOING AND ARE PREPARED TO FACE THE CHANCE MOTHER BUN MAY REACT BADLY AND YOU COULD LOSE THE WHOLE LITTER. I HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE AS HAND REARING WITH ARTIFICAIL MILK AND A SYRINGE IS VERY RARELY SUCCESSFUL BUT IT COMES WITH RISKS.
babies today

Chimes babies230318 by Jill Woodward, on Flickr

Beautiful babies!
Probably a dum question but does a Doe ever consider that she has too many babies to look after adequately and so just discards one or two?

Last edited:
Beautiful babies!
Probably a dum question but does a Doe ever consider that she has too many babies to look after adequately and so just discards one of two?
yes they will kill and sometimes eat runts or if too many. 6 is not a huge litter though so she should cope but guessing it may be her first ( and last! ) and as she isn't very settled with humans makes it harder.
We had a doe 3 years back gave birth to at least 11..found bits of one and a dead one and one disappeared :(
but she raised the other 8 well

UPDATE ON CHIMES BABIES 23 MARCH
Well yesterday evening I checked on babies and little Pinky was still unfed and not looking great..so attempt at assist feed. Chime did not like it but I held her and little one on her teat. Managed for about 12-14 seconds, doesn't seem much but for a very tiny stomach enough it seems.
This morning checked again..and Pinky and all siblings had a full tum except for the pale white and grey who was empty? So this one had a short, about 10 seconds, assist feed but all look to be doing well so now hope I can leave mum to it but will check them again tomorrow.
CAN I STRESS PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU ARE VERY CONFIDENT WITH RABBITS, KNOW WHAT YOURE DOING AND ARE PREPARED TO FACE THE CHANCE MOTHER BUN MAY REACT BADLY AND YOU COULD LOSE THE WHOLE LITTER. I HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE AS HAND REARING WITH ARTIFICAIL MILK AND A SYRINGE IS VERY RARELY SUCCESSFUL BUT IT COMES WITH RISKS.
babies today

Chimes babies230318 by Jill Woodward, on Flickr

Your birthday present just keeps growing Jill :love:

I’m glad you were able to assist feed them :thumb: sending lots of vibes that they will do well :thumb:

Oh they are sooooo gorgeous. What beautiful bundles of fur and it is wonderful that the runt is doing so well. Will you keep one of her daughters with Chime? (If she has a girl among the litter).

Chime is so lucky to have had you to care for her babies. I would have had no idea how to help the runt get enough food.

They are incredibly cute :love:

Awwwww so cute :love: What a clever Bunny Mummy Chime is :love:

Is the Sable coloured kit the one who was initially not feeding ?

I hope they all continue to thrive now :love:

It always amazes me how fast baby buns grow! All looking very cute :love: 3 light colored babies and 3 dark colored - I just realized that!

Back