• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New splay in front legs causing mobility issues Help!

Brilliant

New Kit
CkSpZmt.jpg

Um8vFVD.jpg

Belle, my 2 year old New Zealand, has been suffering with splayed back legs since she was 3 months old due to an infection when she was young that affected her joints causing her to also develop severe arthritis which she is on medication for. Her front legs, which were only mildly splayed before, have become so bad in just the past 6 months that she now has great difficulty walking around. I have attached pictures of the way her legs are, this is how they naturally position themselves now. Could anybody give me any ideas on how to improve her mobility? I was thinking I could somehow make her a leg brace to wear to bring her front feet back to the front of her body like they should be. She's so young and has so much sass! I've already changed all her flooring to be more comfortable for her to get around, towels and rubber mats for comfort and traction. I would really appreciate help!

Last edited:
I notice you're in Canada.

I'm not sure on the availability of vets, but a rabbit savvy vet would need to be your first port of call.

For the legs to have gotten worse there is a possibility of another infection or similar going on in the body. (Was it EC by any chance?) Diagnosis by a vet will provide treatment options to you.

Splinting the legs will be painful and could cause more damage if not first xrayed to check for bone density and structure.
Physio therapy may be an option, but this will also need to be discussed with a savvy vet and you'll need to be given the correct training to avoid causing any further injury.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

CkSpZmt.jpg

Um8vFVD.jpg

Belle, my 2 year old New Zealand, has been suffering with splayed back legs since she was 3 months old due to an infection when she was young that affected her joints causing her to also develop severe arthritis which she is on medication for. Her front legs, which were only mildly splayed before, have become so bad in just the past 6 months that she now has great difficulty walking around. I have attached pictures of the way her legs are, this is how they naturally position themselves now. Could anybody give me any ideas on how to improve her mobility? I was thinking I could somehow make her a leg brace to wear to bring her front feet back to the front of her body like they should be. She's so young and has so much sass! I've already changed all her flooring to be more comfortable for her to get around, towels and rubber mats for comfort and traction. I would really appreciate help!
I had the same problem with my Charlie bear. I would find a savvy vet to help you, I was going to get him acupuncture, steroid injections, anti-imflamitories but unfortunately Charlie didn't cope well and stop eating several times due to pain management

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Back