• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should Jack have access to fun all day?

jredk04

Warren Scout
Jack lives in a dog crate in a bunny proof room.
He's settling in well (he arrived 6 october).
He likes sleeping outside his crate...

postof261004jackasleep002.jpg

I'm home most of the time, but not obviously in his room all of the time. Should i leave his cage door open all day?

I'm up at 6.30am and the door is closed until the morning around 7.30pmish. I'm kinda keeping the door closed midday but i've not been that rigid with it lately.
the room itself is equipped with cardboard boxes, places to jump; window sill and 'oven' so he's plenty of things to be getting on with so it would be nice to allow him access to the whole room as and when he wishes.

So why am i asking the question? Will he become territorial of the ROOM not just his cage? - he's just started running round my feet and he's booked in to be neutered on Tuesday.

Juliex

(ps - does this mean that the dog crate becomes a v expensive toilet!!?? :lol: )

When you say territorial, what sort of behaviour do you mean? He may well scatter currents before he's neutered if he usually does that outside his tray in his cage but he'll likely do that any as it seems he thinks of the rooms as his if he falls asleep there. I presume you don't climb in his cage so the leg circling is taking place in the room anyway?

If the room is safe then I don't see why he shouldn't have access for more or all of the time.

Having the crate is handy, a smaller space thats just his is nice. You'll probably find if he gets worried over a noise or anything it will be the crate he bolts for. Likewise, occationally you might need a space to enclose him. So not just a toilet a bed too. Of course when you get him a girlfriend it will come in handy for keeping them seperate at first too ;)

Tam

territorial - just the grunting and figure of eights. and no i don't
climb in his cage
:lol:
so yes, he's doing it in the room anyway.

great.
sorry for the daft question! i just had to ask... sometimes i do end up worrying over nothing. just with him doing his 'rounds' at the moment i thought i'd better check that i wasn't setting myself up for something i would regret later.

juliex
oh and
Of course when you get him a girlfriend it will come in handy for keeping them seperate at first too
:lol: NO NO NO NO NO.... repeat from start :lol: :lol:

jredk04 said:
:lol: NO NO NO NO NO.... repeat from start :lol: :lol:

Just wait til I show you the cute piccies, you'll soon be changing your mind, once you have one its a slippery sloop to having a house full :lol:

Tam

Tamsin said:
Just wait til I show you the cute piccies, you'll soon be changing your mind, once you have one its a slippery sloop to having a house full :lol:

Tam

JUST the house full Tamsin????you forgot to mention how easy it is to fill the entire garden aswell and start a rabbit sanctuary proper :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tamsin is responsible for all our latest additions, so be warned she has a rabbit SalesWoman technique that surpasses all :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

Howdie Bunny Folks - Wot a lovely relaxed bunny pickie - I think I'll pop over for a rabbit nap cuddle - Jack looks a bosta

Blimey this sounds so familiar - I started off with Zac in his overnight cage which was his home for the night when brought up from Plymouth which is identical to Jacks - and gradually he now has ownership of his own bedroom :lol: :lol:

Up until now he has been gradually allowed more and more freedom - and tonight he is Free Range in his bedroom with access to his cage area which has his fresh hay and water - (so if I'm bleary eyed in the morning - we'll all know that Zac was partying all night :!: :!: )

Although not yet spayed he is really good but I can really sympathise with julie as its gradually learning to trust - Will he keep me awake all night - Will he ransack the bedroom overnight :?: :?: - All's quiet so far - ZAC has been left during the day without any problem and I think he likes to sleep outside his cage (the same as Jack) as he can stretch out and chill.

Zac has been good regarding territory marking - he's already claimed me as his own - but other than that - all droppings have been done in his cage area so I think its good as Tams said at the early stages to leave an area they feel is truely theirs :!: :!:

Best of luck with Jack, sounds like he is a lucky bunny with a fab life ahead.

aw your bun has a great room!

i never shut Dubbs in his hutch, he has the run of the balcony, it is definitely HIS space. he scatters his poos and he has designated himself a little area for weeing in. if pigeons try to land they soon get chased off and if the cats wander out there (which i try to avoid due to living on the 11th floor) he will run up to them and sniff them and do a little side hop thing.

his cage door has been officially 'opened'. from 6.30am this morning. i've just had a peek in on him and he's fast asleep - just like the pic. he's definitely found his 'spot'. i've only had him 22 days now and i didn't expect him to be so 'at home' already- i guess i'm quite chuffed!
he's yet to find the confidence to venture from the room; he shuffles up to the entrance and races back into the safety of the room!
all good so far then. long term i've always envisaged Jack to have a bit more freedom than just his 'room' so things are definitely going in the right direction. Just a bit faster than expected. :D

juliex

Wot a lovely relaxed bunny pickie

thanks

Just wait til I show you the cute piccies, you'll soon be changing your mind, once you have one its a slippery sloop to having a house full

Must resist. But i don't know how i'm going to, especially as i've just spent last night sorting out a local rescues pics & rabbit info... :wink:

jredk04 said:
i've just had a peek in on him and he's fast asleep - just like the pic. he's definitely found his 'spot'.
Awwwwwww - thats lovely - he must be soooo relaxed and happy to be such a chilled out bunny.

Its strange how some just suprise you dont they! - especially as Jack has settled in so quickly with you - sounds like he has a lovely calming environment to be in so I bet thats helping too with him settleing in.

MORE PICKIES PLEASE - HE'S ADORABLE.

Roo has the run of the downstairs and only goes in his extended cage if we go out or night time. He does use his cage as his safe place and jumps in there if there's a noise he doesn't like. Doesn't leave raisins everywhere, just the occasional one, but most of the time he goes in his litter tray, we have one in the cage and one outside, when he is out of his cage he uses the outside one all the time.

well, so far, so good.

his cage door REMAINS open. didn't hear him during the night so he must of slept well. How did Zac get on? any parties your way?

ps couple of pics as requested!
post261004jackasleep005.jpg

Copyof261004jack002.jpg

pps the lucky boy has some of that profleece bedding on its way to him...sh! don't tell hubby, he's paying for it!! :lol:

Back