• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to forum, new to having bunnies...

Evening all,

Three days ago, my girlfriend and I purchased two bunnies (approx 9 weeks old). They're female, not related but very friendly with one another. They're also indoor bunnies, in which we have the cage in the living room (they're let out from the cage more often than in).

I've ensured to give them ots of access to hay, pellets and water...but I have some concerns I'm hoping could be answered (I have a couple, and can't find answers on this forum or things like YouTube)...

1.) Are they okay in the living room? This might read strangely, but I wonder whether the radio or people being around more often than not will stress them out? As a side note, we sleep normal hours so don't keep them awake at night or anything.

2.) When we got them, the one has lop ears, the other not. Since the first night, the one with regular ears (sorry if I'm being incredibly uneducated with this description of ears) has now got/had for the last few days, drooped tips of the ears, almost like an upside-down J. Is this normal?

3.) I haven't tried too much to handle or pet them, as I thought it would be best to let them settle. I've read conflicting things on the net...but whenever I've tried to stroke either of them, to the point where I'm literally as low to the ground as I can get, they still scurry off. They do however eat out of my hand, jump over my legs when I'm sitting on the floor, and generally come up and sniff and nudge my feet. Is this also normal?

Really hoping anyone can help!

Hi and welcome :wave:

Welcome to the world of rabbits, there’s loads of info on here that should help you. I’ll try to answer your queries but I think someone cleverer will be along at some point!
1) should be fine in living room, lots of bunnies do really well in the hub of the house. Yes there’s a few things, like new noises, for them to get used to but they soon will.
2) As I understand it lop rabbits are born with uppy ears and they “drop” later anytime from a few weeks to several months and they can droop at the tips first.
3) sounds totally normal to me, you are doing the right things sitting on the floor with them and not trying to pick them up too much while they get used to you.

Sounds like they’ve fallen on their feet (paws) with you. We love pictures here ;)

Hi there and welcome to the Forum. Lots of hay is good! There is always someone around to give you advice. Have you provided a litter tray with hay in it to encourage them to use it?

Hi there and welcome to the Forum. Lots of hay is good! There is always someone around to give you advice. Have you provided a litter tray with hay in it to encourage them to use it?

Thank you!

I'm waiting for the litter tray to arrive (we've had snow, so naturally the postal service are using that to fall back on for their delay).

I've rejigged the cage today after watching some videos, so its got a little shelter area they can go in, with food, water and outside hay shelf thing above. On the right side there is a substantial amount of hay, as that's where they seem to chill. Other corner is sawdust, for a makeshift litter tray, then just a sprinkling of hay all over.

Haha thank you so much!

I will upload some photos once I've transferred from phone to laptop.

I am not sure that she is actually lop ear, they were totally straight/tall initially, but we will see I guess!

Thanks again!

Back