• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Duo bullying

ljlstevens

New Kit
Good morning everyone,

I'm seeking advice on what to do in my current predicament.

I have two bunnies who live together in a big hutch and run. One is 8-9 years old, the other around 2-3years old. Both are rescues who I bonded together.

The older of the two had some temporary health issues which caused a growth on her face. Thankfully she recovered and I'm pleased to say x-rays confirmed it was unrelated to her teath. During her health decline and after, her bonded buddy has taken the alpha position and regularly chases her away.

It didn't calm down or settle months later, so I tried seperating and re-bonding in an unfamiliar environment, the banana on the head trick, car ride etc, but to no avail. They seemed to tolerate each other just as well as before, but the younger of the two continued to chase her away from food, hay, and now chases her into the hutch every day while he sits in the open run. The hutch has a mesh door on one side, but it not healthy for her to live like that day in day out, and not through choice.

I feel awful and feel it may start to impact on her health in more than just an emotional way.

I'm now considering splitting them up, and hope to try re-pair them with someone of similar age/size, but I know this may not fix the issue and may cause other issues.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

I feel damned if I do and damned if I don't act!

Is the younger bun a male? Either way it could be the younger bun is picking up on a weakness in the older bun, which is why he/she is bullying the other. I would go with your gut instincts and if you feel it would be better to find a different partner for each of them, then do this. It will possibly be easier to bond the boy with a new friend than the older one. I hope a happier solution works out.

Back