Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 77

Thread: Coco

  1. #1
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Marske by the sea, Redcar, NE coast.
    Posts
    9,030

    Default Coco

    After having a decent few months of healthy bunnies, it appears that Coco may have bladder stones .

    She had blood in her wee in November, but after a course of Baytril and Metacam, it seemed to clear. She was quite sore looking around her genitals but was alright in herself, no excess licking that I could see. Anyway, that all seemed well and the blood seemed to cease. Plus, both girls were quite dirty down there with old poo - I was horrified actually as of course it was an open invitation for fly-strike. But now I check them there quite regularly which of course they're both delighted with .

    Fast-forward several weeks and I started to notice dried blood on the newspaper in a morning when I did the litter trays again. Wasn't much, and wasn't every day.

    But then it seemed to increase so back to the vet we went last week. She was rather inflamed again around her genitals (Coco, not the female vet!) so another week's course of Metacam was prescribed. The bloodied wee on the paper faded but was still there so I took her back yesterday.

    Long story short - Filip had a good squidge of her tummy/bladder and doesn't seem to think it's cancer although he can't rule it out altogether, which is kind of a relief that he doesn't think it is but of course that's not quite 100% not, but he is more inclined to think it's stones. I've managed to get a urine sample and took that in which was sent off last night, I think they're looking for crystals? But the vet still wants to ultrasound her bladder to make sure, which will mean shaving her belly . She'll hate it and thus will need to be slightly sedated "so she feels drunk" I said, and Filip laughed otherwise she'll go into stasis. Coco detests the vets, even for jabs, or a pedicure she shakes like a leaf so tummy shaved and then a scan, I dread to think how she'd react without sedation, I really do. It'd finish her off!

    So that's next week I think, or they may wait until the urine results are in, I'm not sure.

    But the point to my essay is, has anyone else's bunnies had bladder stones and if they have, how do they treat them? I'm guessing meds and/or laser perhaps? But the latter again would have to involve sedation.

    It wasn't until I had to use these plastic type tiny balls on a sheet of plastic to collect the bloodied wee that I realised how much blood there was in her wee, it was quite upsetting actually . But on the upside, Coco is actually perfectly fine in herself - you couldn't tell there was anything wrong so at least that's something. She's back on pain relief for the foreseeable - her oojit is very sore looking. I feel so sorry for her, I really do, but hopefully it's nothing major and can be sorted quickly. She/they are 7 in May.

    My girls Coco and Thumper (respectively)

  2. #2
    Forum Buddy Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    25,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    After having a decent few months of healthy bunnies, it appears that Coco may have bladder stones .

    She had blood in her wee in November, but after a course of Baytril and Metacam, it seemed to clear. She was quite sore looking around her genitals but was alright in herself, no excess licking that I could see. Anyway, that all seemed well and the blood seemed to cease. Plus, both girls were quite dirty down there with old poo - I was horrified actually as of course it was an open invitation for fly-strike. But now I check them there quite regularly which of course they're both delighted with .

    Fast-forward several weeks and I started to notice dried blood on the newspaper in a morning when I did the litter trays again. Wasn't much, and wasn't every day.

    But then it seemed to increase so back to the vet we went last week. She was rather inflamed again around her genitals (Coco, not the female vet!) so another week's course of Metacam was prescribed. The bloodied wee on the paper faded but was still there so I took her back yesterday.

    Long story short - Filip had a good squidge of her tummy/bladder and doesn't seem to think it's cancer although he can't rule it out altogether, which is kind of a relief that he doesn't think it is but of course that's not quite 100% not, but he is more inclined to think it's stones. I've managed to get a urine sample and took that in which was sent off last night, I think they're looking for crystals? But the vet still wants to ultrasound her bladder to make sure, which will mean shaving her belly . She'll hate it and thus will need to be slightly sedated "so she feels drunk" I said, and Filip laughed otherwise she'll go into stasis. Coco detests the vets, even for jabs, or a pedicure she shakes like a leaf so tummy shaved and then a scan, I dread to think how she'd react without sedation, I really do. It'd finish her off!

    So that's next week I think, or they may wait until the urine results are in, I'm not sure.

    But the point to my essay is, has anyone else's bunnies had bladder stones and if they have, how do they treat them? I'm guessing meds and/or laser perhaps? But the latter again would have to involve sedation.

    It wasn't until I had to use these plastic type tiny balls on a sheet of plastic to collect the bloodied wee that I realised how much blood there was in her wee, it was quite upsetting actually . But on the upside, Coco is actually perfectly fine in herself - you couldn't tell there was anything wrong so at least that's something. She's back on pain relief for the foreseeable - her oojit is very sore looking. I feel so sorry for her, I really do, but hopefully it's nothing major and can be sorted quickly. She/they are 7 in May.
    I don’t have any experience of this but want to send vibes and hope it’s nothing serious. I had to laugh along with your sense of humour there

    Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Back Under my Stone :-)
    Posts
    133,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    After having a decent few months of healthy bunnies, it appears that Coco may have bladder stones .

    She had blood in her wee in November, but after a course of Baytril and Metacam, it seemed to clear. She was quite sore looking around her genitals but was alright in herself, no excess licking that I could see. Anyway, that all seemed well and the blood seemed to cease. Plus, both girls were quite dirty down there with old poo - I was horrified actually as of course it was an open invitation for fly-strike. But now I check them there quite regularly which of course they're both delighted with .

    Fast-forward several weeks and I started to notice dried blood on the newspaper in a morning when I did the litter trays again. Wasn't much, and wasn't every day.

    But then it seemed to increase so back to the vet we went last week. She was rather inflamed again around her genitals (Coco, not the female vet!) so another week's course of Metacam was prescribed. The bloodied wee on the paper faded but was still there so I took her back yesterday.

    Long story short - Filip had a good squidge of her tummy/bladder and doesn't seem to think it's cancer although he can't rule it out altogether, which is kind of a relief that he doesn't think it is but of course that's not quite 100% not, but he is more inclined to think it's stones. I've managed to get a urine sample and took that in which was sent off last night, I think they're looking for crystals? But the vet still wants to ultrasound her bladder to make sure, which will mean shaving her belly . She'll hate it and thus will need to be slightly sedated "so she feels drunk" I said, and Filip laughed otherwise she'll go into stasis. Coco detests the vets, even for jabs, or a pedicure she shakes like a leaf so tummy shaved and then a scan, I dread to think how she'd react without sedation, I really do. It'd finish her off!

    So that's next week I think, or they may wait until the urine results are in, I'm not sure.

    But the point to my essay is, has anyone else's bunnies had bladder stones and if they have, how do they treat them? I'm guessing meds and/or laser perhaps? But the latter again would have to involve sedation.

    It wasn't until I had to use these plastic type tiny balls on a sheet of plastic to collect the bloodied wee that I realised how much blood there was in her wee, it was quite upsetting actually . But on the upside, Coco is actually perfectly fine in herself - you couldn't tell there was anything wrong so at least that's something. She's back on pain relief for the foreseeable - her oojit is very sore looking. I feel so sorry for her, I really do, but hopefully it's nothing major and can be sorted quickly. She/they are 7 in May.
    Poor girlie If she has bladder stones then they would have to be surgically removed- a Cystotomy. It may be that she 'just' has bladder sludge which can be cleared by either diuresis/manual bladder expression or catheterisation and flushing of the bladder under sedation/GA.

    Blood tests are usually recommended to assess kidney function. An abdominal U/S would show not only bladder stones, if there are any, but it would also show if there were any kidney stones too.

    More information on these links :

    http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen...lood_urine.htm

    http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen...ies/Sludge.htm

    http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen...olithiasis.htm

    http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...olithiasis.htm

    http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00M...my_Rabbits.htm

    Sending lots of vibes for Coco xx
    Last edited by Jack's-Jane; 17-03-2018 at 03:56 PM.



    A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Surgery in Twickenham, SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

    A map giving up to date, well researched and reliable details about reported cases of RHD2 within the UK. The map also gives details of locations of Vets reported to have access to the RHD2 Vaccine

    http://rhd2map.buntools.org.uk/

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    36,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    After having a decent few months of healthy bunnies, it appears that Coco may have bladder stones .

    She had blood in her wee in November, but after a course of Baytril and Metacam, it seemed to clear. She was quite sore looking around her genitals but was alright in herself, no excess licking that I could see. Anyway, that all seemed well and the blood seemed to cease. Plus, both girls were quite dirty down there with old poo - I was horrified actually as of course it was an open invitation for fly-strike. But now I check them there quite regularly which of course they're both delighted with .

    Fast-forward several weeks and I started to notice dried blood on the newspaper in a morning when I did the litter trays again. Wasn't much, and wasn't every day.

    But then it seemed to increase so back to the vet we went last week. She was rather inflamed again around her genitals (Coco, not the female vet!) so another week's course of Metacam was prescribed. The bloodied wee on the paper faded but was still there so I took her back yesterday.

    Long story short - Filip had a good squidge of her tummy/bladder and doesn't seem to think it's cancer although he can't rule it out altogether, which is kind of a relief that he doesn't think it is but of course that's not quite 100% not, but he is more inclined to think it's stones. I've managed to get a urine sample and took that in which was sent off last night, I think they're looking for crystals? But the vet still wants to ultrasound her bladder to make sure, which will mean shaving her belly . She'll hate it and thus will need to be slightly sedated "so she feels drunk" I said, and Filip laughed otherwise she'll go into stasis. Coco detests the vets, even for jabs, or a pedicure she shakes like a leaf so tummy shaved and then a scan, I dread to think how she'd react without sedation, I really do. It'd finish her off!

    So that's next week I think, or they may wait until the urine results are in, I'm not sure.

    But the point to my essay is, has anyone else's bunnies had bladder stones and if they have, how do they treat them? I'm guessing meds and/or laser perhaps? But the latter again would have to involve sedation.

    It wasn't until I had to use these plastic type tiny balls on a sheet of plastic to collect the bloodied wee that I realised how much blood there was in her wee, it was quite upsetting actually . But on the upside, Coco is actually perfectly fine in herself - you couldn't tell there was anything wrong so at least that's something. She's back on pain relief for the foreseeable - her oojit is very sore looking. I feel so sorry for her, I really do, but hopefully it's nothing major and can be sorted quickly. She/they are 7 in May.

    Hi Angie

    Really sorry to hear about Coco, what a worry!

    I have had rabbits who have had the exploratories for bladder stones and also crystals in the bladder. The vet can take an X-ray or do an ultrasound, whichever they feel will be most useful. Both can cause the symptoms you indicate - crystals/sediment will aggravate the bladder and also make it easier for any infection to return.

    I've found the info here very useful:

    http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen...olithiasis.htm


    I've also found that some rabbits behave, as Coco is, absolutely normally and would wouldn't know anything was going on. Well done you for spotting it.

  5. #5
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Marske by the sea, Redcar, NE coast.
    Posts
    9,030

    Default

    Thank you JJ and MM for your links, they were very interesting .

    One thing I did note was this;

    "A rabbit suffering from stones is often in pain. As a result, its appetite is decreased, it is depressed and it may whine when urinating. Often, frequent and long urination is observed, accompanied by urine dribbling. In some cases, the urine is so rich in sediments (calcium carbonate) that the urine takes a paste-like consistency, and stains the perianal region."

    But Coco isn't showing pain, she is still eating well - although I have to admit takes her time coming to the food bowl lately, but eats hay like normal - but is definitely not depressed and I've seen her urinate and she hasn't whined (although it says "may" and not "will"). And there's no staining of her nether regions either (but they are inflamed and very sore looking), nor dribbling, and it's thin wee as normal. So that paragraph does not describe her at all, bizarrely. It does seem to fit more with cystitis so I'll ask the vet the next time we speak, unless of course the urine sample proves the crystals from stones are there.

    Those photos are horrible and it appears that surgery is the only option to get rid, which is quite a worry but if that's the only way then what must be done will be done, and what will be will be .

    Poor bunny .

    My girls Coco and Thumper (respectively)

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    36,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    Thank you JJ and MM for your links, they were very interesting .

    One thing I did note was this;

    "A rabbit suffering from stones is often in pain. As a result, its appetite is decreased, it is depressed and it may whine when urinating. Often, frequent and long urination is observed, accompanied by urine dribbling. In some cases, the urine is so rich in sediments (calcium carbonate) that the urine takes a paste-like consistency, and stains the perianal region."

    But Coco isn't showing pain, she is still eating well - although I have to admit takes her time coming to the food bowl lately, but eats hay like normal - but is definitely not depressed and I've seen her urinate and she hasn't whined (although it says "may" and not "will"). And there's no staining of her nether regions either (but they are inflamed and very sore looking), nor dribbling, and it's thin wee as normal. So that paragraph does not describe her at all, bizarrely. It does seem to fit more with cystitis so I'll ask the vet the next time we speak, unless of course the urine sample proves the crystals from stones are there.

    Those photos are horrible and it appears that surgery is the only option to get rid, which is quite a worry but if that's the only way then what must be done will be done, and what will be will be .

    Poor bunny .

    Tricky one Angie, and I hope it isn't stones ..

    Looking at this article:

    https://wagwalking.com/rabbit/condit...y-tract-stones

    Rabbits don't often show any signs of discomfort or pain which is why clinical signs at home can go unnoticed. If at any time you notice a change in urination, contact your veterinarian immediately.



    .... so would appear there can be discrepancy between rabbits as to how they will behave.

    When my rabbit had a urinary tract infection we ruled out sludge/crystals and stones and made sure we were treating only a bacterial infection.

    Hope she'll be OK x

  7. #7
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    11,818

    Default

    Sending lots of vibes for Coco. I hope that it's something simple that can be treated easily.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

  8. #8
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Marske by the sea, Redcar, NE coast.
    Posts
    9,030

    Default

    Thank you both . I'll certainly mention UTI as well, MM. I think that's why Filip wants to do an ultrasound as well, to see if he can see stones as the scan should show them up even if they're only small, apparently. I hope it's not stones - my husband doesn't think she'll survive surgery .

    My girls Coco and Thumper (respectively)

  9. #9
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    36,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    Thank you both . I'll certainly mention UTI as well, MM. I think that's why Filip wants to do an ultrasound as well, to see if he can see stones as the scan should show them up even if they're only small, apparently. I hope it's not stones - my husband doesn't think she'll survive surgery .

    I hope it isn't stones.

    Is the ultrasound booked?

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Back Under my Stone :-)
    Posts
    133,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    I hope it's not stones - my husband doesn't think she'll survive surgery .
    Hopefully the U/S wont show any stones. I have had a few Rabbits who have undergone Cystotomies and they all did well. One Bunny was 11 when she had the op' ! So almost 7 is not 'old' as such



    A Rabbit Savvy small animal Veterinary Surgery in Twickenham, SW London
    https://www.twickenhamvets.com/

    A map giving up to date, well researched and reliable details about reported cases of RHD2 within the UK. The map also gives details of locations of Vets reported to have access to the RHD2 Vaccine

    http://rhd2map.buntools.org.uk/

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •