• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Packet salards

Herbs and certain plants also help us humans too. As well as the obvious (eating) you can also put some in your bath, the smell is out of this world and helps certain ailments. I also put certain herbs and plants in an oil burner, the smell is so much more natural than artifical air freshners. Use an old wahing bag for bath time though, saves trying to pick everything out when you have finished :lol: :lol: I love lavender in my bath, eucalyptus in an oil burner can help a blocked nose and headaches. Its also cheaper than buying essential oils if you already have the plants. :D

I am still introducing things slowly so still yet to find out what they like - they really dig celery though!!
We are lucky that we have some nice farm shops round here too!

On the packet salad front I heard on the radio that there is as much chlorine in one of those packets to keep a swimming pool clean for a day - how true that is I don't know! Scarey huh! :?

BugBabe said:
On the packet salad front I heard on the radio that there is as much chlorine in one of those packets to keep a swimming pool clean for a day - how true that is I don't know! Scarey huh! :?

Yes, that's why it's always better to rinse them first. :D

BugBabe said:

I have it on good authority (I think Bertie will be able to confirm this later) that they're washed with dilute bleach.

Hence me not eating them.

Thanks for this, my grocery bill is just about to go down as I am not eating bleached stuff any more!!! p.s. even the wild rocket? Don't know if I could do without that

hmmm i dont use packet salads, however i do buy all my veggies for bunny at the supermarket.. im afraid i havent a clue where to find wild ones. I buy carrots, packs of kale, parsley, coriander mainly. are they bleached too? or just the salads?
Chris

The people I work with (microbiologists) are obsessed with food hygiene. So, every time there's an expose on poor food practices they watch it and come back in the next day with a full run down. So they saw the program that said the salads were washed in bleached. If you wash them off you'll be fine, but the main problem is that these salads are sold as 'ready to eat'. While a human tum can probably cope with the residual bleach left on the leaves, it isn't something that I personally want to risk with my bunnies. If you give the salads a clean before you feed them then there shouldn't be any problem, but then if you have to wash them yourself why are you paying the extra money to have someone else wash it and put it in a bag for you?

I don't buy the prepared stuff anyway. I find that they prefer cheap veggies to more expensive salads and fruit, which suits me just fine.

Oh, and it is just the stuff that's sold as 'ready to eat' that's been washed in this way. I don't know who the main culprits are as I didn't see the program myself.

I've only ever bought whole vegetables from the supermarkets, such as carrots and cabbage etc. I've never felt the need to buy packet salads as yet. I would love to pick my own stuff for the buns but wouldn't know where to begin. I only recognise dandilions and clover!

@Pendragon, your photography idea is brilliant... it would be a great help to people like me :)

Prepared salads can also contain Listeria - although food companies are supposed to test before releasing the product for sale; it takes a long time to test and the sell by dates would have expired so often they rely on being able to recall the product later if listeria is found to be present.

Caz

Question directed to people with guinea pigs...

I would like to try my bunnies on some spinach and curly kale, but the only stuff I can find is prepacked. After thoroughly rinsing it, would both be ok to feed to my guinea pigs aswell?

Don't know if this is the same for all branches, but my local Lidl currently have all their fresh veg & fruit on offer at half price...

I temporarily abandoned my priciples in favour of my purse, and yesterday came home with a bunch of carrots with the tops on for 39p, and a huge swede for 29p!

I might nibble a carrot and cook a bit of the swede myself, if the rabbits are happy to share...

nope the Mub sometimes gets the cabbage bits i dont like! lol

but all his veg is fresh and i have to prepare it :roll:

Mine like nothing more than a plate of mange tout served on wild rocket seasoned with honey & mustard.

only joking ... :lol:

Back