• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Single or pairs

Hello, so I'm looking for a bit of guidance. I have kept rabbits most of my life and am currently in the process of looking to rehome another. Anyway, I'm looking to see if anyone keeps single indoor rabbits? I have experience of keeping rabbits in pairs and individually and both indoor and outdoor and contrary to popular belief (which I also believe in) the rabbits I have seen to be the most happy and playful seem to be an individual kept indoors in the home. I am currently weighing up my options to decide whether to rehome as single or a pair. I've found a male bun that I am hoping to adopt but don't know whether to bring home another bun with him. Either way id hate for them to be unhappy! But I know that it would be easier to rehome a pair together potentially than trying to bond in the future if I felt he needed? Equally, im not sure id have the space to give them both individual spaces in the house if they didnt get on! Im sure i could make it work if needed but its lot of space in my house if i need to give up 2 rooms to house rabbits rather that nust the one! [emoji848] Any advice/similar experience greatly recieved! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hello, so I'm looking for a bit of guidance. I have kept rabbits most of my life and am currently in the process of looking to rehome another. Anyway, I'm looking to see if anyone keeps single indoor rabbits? I have experience of keeping rabbits in pairs and individually and both indoor and outdoor and contrary to popular belief (which I also believe in) the rabbits I have seen to be the most happy and playful seem to be an individual kept indoors in the home. I am currently weighing up my options to decide whether to rehome as single or a pair. I've found a male bun that I am hoping to adopt but don't know whether to bring home another bun with him. Either way id hate for them to be unhappy! But I know that it would be easier to rehome a pair together potentially than trying to bond in the future if I felt he needed? Equally, im not sure id have the space to give them both individual spaces in the house if they didnt get on! Im sure i could make it work if needed but its lot of space in my house if i need to give up 2 rooms to house rabbits rather that nust the one! [emoji848] Any advice/similar experience greatly recieved! Thanks!

If you're adopting from a rescue can't you get them to find a friend for the bun you want to adopt and get them to bond them? So you can bring them home together bonded? :) just an idea, I always try to have a pair over a single bun x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome to the Forum. We usually always advise people to keep 2 rabbits rather than one, although there are lots of single bunnies inside and out, but whether they are happy I can't say. The problem if you brought 2 rabbits home at the same time, if they were older rabbits and unneutered, thn they would very likely fight. If you bring 2 baby rabbits home, when they get to around 4 months old, if they are both of the same sex, they would also possibly fight,so they would need to be neutered asap. If you had a boy and a girl, the boy could be neutered first at around 4 months old but even at this age he might be able to get the girl pregnant. The best situation would possibly be, to bring a male rabbit home, have him neutered, then look for a suitable female rabbit.

Ye as I say I've had both. The pair's seemed to get on each other's nerves. Even with plenty room etc and just didn't dart around and play as much. However I've had a couple of indoor single buns who are daft. Inquisitive, running around playing all the time. I just wondered if there was anything in it and anyone had similar experiences.

This is helpful though thanks. I was hoping a rescue would be able to bond do will look into that. It's tricky though as the nearest rabbit rescue is about 2 hours away! [emoji85] but needs must haha.

Ideally I'd rather have a male/female pairing as I know they can create stronger bond or are less likely to fight. I hadn't thought about bringing boy home first and getting him neutered then finding a girl to bring home. Is the boy likely to get territorial with the additional of a female into his space if they are brought home separately though?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I had a male bun on his own for almost a year and then we got a female to bond with him. Bailey was fully free range so we thought it would be difficult finding neutral territory to bond them. But we started introducing them in one of the bedrooms and they were amazing. Both just clicked and was a very easy bond. I'm aware not all are straight forward but there is hope! :love:

I assumed Bailey was fine and was a very spoilt bunny but we could see he was lonely when we went to work during the day. Since having bella he's so much happier and we haven't looked back since!

Good luck with your bunnies xx

Ye as I say I've had both. The pair's seemed to get on each other's nerves. Even with plenty room etc and just didn't dart around and play as much. However I've had a couple of indoor single buns who are daft. Inquisitive, running around playing all the time. I just wondered if there was anything in it and anyone had similar experiences.

This is helpful though thanks. I was hoping a rescue would be able to bond do will look into that. It's tricky though as the nearest rabbit rescue is about 2 hours away! [emoji85] but needs must haha.

Ideally I'd rather have a male/female pairing as I know they can create stronger bond or are less likely to fight. I hadn't thought about bringing boy home first and getting him neutered then finding a girl to bring home. Is the boy likely to get territorial with the additional of a female into his space if they are brought home separately though?

Thanks.

It should be fine as boys are not as territorial as girls.

It really depends on your current lifestyle and space. Even bonded pairs can be unhappy if there isn't the space for 2 rabbits.

I have always had single bunnies and going through the bonding process for the first time to have a bonded pair. I agree that single buns (mostly males) are more dependant on humans. But it all comes down to the rabbits themselves and your lifestyle. Any rabbit can be happy single or otherwise if well cared for :)

This post is a bit late but hope it’s helpful. The rescue place I go to in Kent mainly had their rabbits in pairs already bonded. My two were five years old when I got them.

This post is a bit late but hope it’s helpful. The rescue place I go to in Kent mainly had their rabbits in pairs already bonded. My two were five years old when I got them.

Back