• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Run Assistance

naohren

Young Bun
Hello all!

I may be moving the rabbits inside soon, permanently. I have a large room I can rabbit-proof for them and I am also planning on getting a run (or bigger if we can fit it) so they can be safe and secure when I'm not in the house and at night... but I am unsure on how to fix the flooring to the run.

I have lino floor in their hutch right now and that has helped immensely with cleaning up accidents and weekly cleaning in general. I wanted to have lino flooring or some kind of alternative in the run also, where their litter tray will be, just so they will have less chance of ruining my carpet (though I don't mind terribly). I have two options - the first is Boyles Pet Housing, which is more expensive but it comes with a wooden floor that appears to be fixed on, so I can fix lino to that also! (I want a four sided run so I don't have to fix it to the wall) The second option is Manor Pet Housing, which is cheaper and can be dismantled easily, but it doesn't come with a fixed wooden floor. I would probably use a plastic chair mat in this case, but I'm not sure if there are better options.

I think I'll be optiing for Boyles Pet Housing but can anyone put in a good word about them? Both their site and MPH's look very well laid out and people seem to be pleased with their products, so I'll definitely be ordering other things from both of them. Does anyone have experience with either? And does my plan sound good, with the wooden floor and lino on top? I've never had indoor rabbits so I'm sort of unsure (and I assure you, they'll only be in the run as little as possible, and my room is very big! They'll be getting plenty of exercise, this is mostly for their own safety when I can't be supervising them).

If the room is rabbit proofed then I would just leave them free ranging all the time. That is what we do. You could use a stair gate in the doorway if you need to, we have one that is made of mesh.

If you do need a run then you could use marine ply for a floor with non slip vinyl on top of it.

^This^
That’s what I did when I had my Bella living indoors after the sudden death of her bonded partner. She’s back outside now with a new hubby but I still sometimes yearn for an inny bun. I love the MPH indoor pens and would consider using one to give any indoor buns a secure home base (and try and contain some of the hay) just because they look so gorgeous but don’t think I’d want to shut them in. Of course, I could do that a whole lot lot cheaper!

I’m sure you’ve seen on Boyles/MPH websites the long lead times - I’m (im)patiently waiting for two MPH bothies - lead times are almost 4 months.

If the room is rabbit proofed then I would just leave them free ranging all the time. That is what we do. You could use a stair gate in the doorway if you need to, we have one that is made of mesh.

If you do need a run then you could use marine ply for a floor with non slip vinyl on top of it.
I've contacted Boyles, from what I can see the floor is attached so I can put vinyl on it. I think I'll go for theirs! And a stair gate sounds like a good idea in case someone opens the door and the dog somehow gets in, gives some added protection. Now I think about it the room is probably ideal for them to be loose all the time. I just worry that somehow they'd get into trouble while I'm out... :shock:

^This^
That’s what I did when I had my Bella living indoors after the sudden death of her bonded partner. She’s back outside now with a new hubby but I still sometimes yearn for an inny bun. I love the MPH indoor pens and would consider using one to give any indoor buns a secure home base (and try and contain some of the hay) just because they look so gorgeous but don’t think I’d want to shut them in. Of course, I could do that a whole lot lot cheaper!

I’m sure you’ve seen on Boyles/MPH websites the long lead times - I’m (im)patiently waiting for two MPH bothies - lead times are almost 4 months.
Oh, lead times aren't a huge issue for me - it's going to take a bit of planning and the room's getting a refurbish before we can do anything else with it! So, in that time I can also rabbit-proof while all the furniture is out :D

Good luck with it all. I know someone with an MPH pen - well internet “know” - they use vinyl cut to size so it sits under the edges of the actual pen, which works well for them and, as the panels are modular, means they can move the run or change its shape if they ever need to. My MPH stuff is fantastically well made, haven’t used Boyles but I believe theirs is also.

I have an aviary on order from Boyles pet housing, they are good communicators and I am confident that their products are wonderful!

I was tempted to get an indoor run for my house rabbits to be but am starting off with letting him/them have the whole room ... will be saving up though. Just want them to be safe and happy.

Back