• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor bunnies not using hutch and chasing

VickyM_73

Young Bun
Hi there,

I have 2 male bunnies who have lived together since they were in the shop where we bought them in August 2015. Last March we moved them from the garage into a shed in the garden and they now have access to the garden at all times. Its well enclosed and there are no foxes in are area so its safe enough. Anyway, since the weather has become milder this year they are spending ALL their time out in the garden on the grass and only go into the hutch in the shed when it gets dark in the evening. I don't know if this is normal. They always used to sleep during the day in the hutch. I don't know if they're just more acclimatised this year after being in the shed all winter. Does it seem normal for a rabbit to sleep sitting on the lawn during the day?

The other thing that I've noticed is that one rabbit is chasing the other quite a lot. He's always been a little bit inclined to chasing but it seems to be happening a lot. I did notice him grooming the other one earlier on today though so perhaps is just normal. I've not seen any fighting. The rabbit being chased always runs away immediately. What does everyone else think?

Age old question - are they both neutered? If not - and even if they are, sometimes - male rabbits almost inevitably will fight and require separation.

Assuming they are neutered and not fighting, mine (two separate male/female pairs) quite happily sleep on the lawn during free ranging times when the weather is good. Mine were laying out on the grass this morning.

Do you shut them away at night?

My four live in a shed/run combo and have free range time each day for a few hours. They often doze under the bushes and will sit or lie on the lawn quite happily.

I have two bucks and two does. One buck is the head of the quad and he always chases his brother, who scarpers. No fighting but some fur pulling esp at pellet oclock or morning veg time.

I shut mine in at night just in case.

Being outside all day and dozing on the lawn is perfectly normal when the weather permits, my buck does the same. The girls go to their hutches to rest, around noon, the buck prefers to stay outside until dawn most days.

That there is somewhat more chasing might be quite normal at this time of the year, even neutered animals feel the spring coming. I would worry about that if they were not neutered.

Thank you all. Yes they are both neutered and I've never seen any fighting and they don't fight or squabble over food either. The chaser is more shy around humans so he tends to hide behind the other one who is more confident around us at feeding times. They always go into the shed and I shut them in at night.

I have the same experience: Willow and Charlie have access to not one but two hutches but they never ever use them. Willow made a nest in one of them but it doesn't matter how cold it is neither of them show any interest in hiding there - but I think I know why. And I think I know what they prefer instead.

The discovery came almost accidentally; during the recent seriously cold spell (the Beast from the East...) I got worried about them getting cold so I covered a section of their run with tarpaulin. So now they have two "open air" sections, connected to a middle tarpaulin covered section by two long pipes. Since I put this together, I noticed that they really like resting in the tarpaulin covered section and I think this makes sense from a rabbit psychology point of view: the covered, semi dark section mimics a warren and it has two exits, which makes them feel safe. As compared the hutch which is a bit unnatural for two reasons:

(1) it has a single entry point (so if danger comes from that direction, there is no escape route) and
(2) it is elevated whereas a warren is underground.

Judging from their behaviour during the cold spell (and it was about -10 °C one night so I kept a close eye on them) - they don't seem to mind the cold. As long as they have cover and shelter from the snow/rain and the wind, they seem to prefer staying on the ground. If I had seen the slightest sign of them getting cold or not looking quite right, I would have done something but if anything, they seemed quite lively and happy. They ate a lot more though, I had to fill up their hay bar two or three times a day.

Back