• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elijah... kidney function.... now at peace... with his soulmate

Thank you everyone for your support. Elijah hasn't been taking his syringe feeds so well the last couple of days and had become just skin and bone, I knew his time was approaching but given the year I've had, I was worried that that would be Christmas Day. Last night he barely touched his syringe feed and didn't eat his greens overnight, there was hardly any poo in his tray ... his Excel was completely untouched. He was in his bed as close to the radiator as he could get and barely moved when I tried to feed him... I knew he'd had enough. He went very peacefully to the bridge with a vet and nurse who knew him well and have cared for him so very many times.

The shell left behind hopefully will give some answers to veterinary science re his digestive issues... before returning home to us. He had over thirty inpatient admissions for gut problems, I stopped counting, it may have been over fifty.

Thank you everyone for your support. Elijah hasn't been taking his syringe feeds so well the last couple of days and had become just skin and bone, I knew his time was approaching but given the year I've had, I was worried that that would be Christmas Day. Last night he barely touched his syringe feed and didn't eat his greens overnight, there was hardly any poo in his tray ... his Excel was completely untouched. He was in his bed as close to the radiator as he could get and barely moved when I tried to feed him... I knew he'd had enough. He went very peacefully to the bridge with a vet and nurse who knew him well and have cared for him so very many times.

The shell left behind hopefully will give some answers to veterinary science re his digestive issues... before returning home to us. He had over thirty inpatient admissions for gut problems, I stopped counting, it may have been over fifty.

Dear Elijah, now at peace. But your heart is breaking yet again :cry:

2018 has been such a dreadful year :cry:

Farewell for now Elijah xx

Dear Elijah, now at peace. But your heart is breaking yet again :cry:

2018 has been such a dreadful year :cry:

Farewell for now Elijah xx

I have syringe fed him every day for nine months (bar a short hospital stay), I've also syringe fed Dinky, Scally and Esme in that time. Tonight will be the first time of not making up Critical Care, I will be thinking I've forgotten something important now and until I adjust. Checking on his welfare has been a big part of my routine for so long...has been my reason I don't go out for a whole day for years given his much at risk he was... it will be very strange not having that responsibility. Thankfully I had reliable OOH service during the time he was vulnerable.

Bless him, he was a real fighter, and you have been there with him throughout. I’m sorry you had to let him go, I know it was his time but I know that doesn’t make it any easier:cry:

Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Binky free Elijah xx

I have syringe fed him every day for nine months (bar a short hospital stay), I've also syringe fed Dinky, Scally and Esme in that time. Tonight will be the first time of not making up Critical Care, I will be thinking I've forgotten something important now and until I adjust. Checking on his welfare has been a big part of my routine for so long...has been my reason I don't go out for a whole day for years given his much at risk he was... it will be very strange not having that responsibility. Thankfully I had reliable OOH service during the time he was vulnerable.

Elijah could not have had a more dedicated caregiver. You have now given him one last act of compassion- letting him go. A selfless act born out of love xx

I’m so sorry you’ve had to say goodbye to Elijah [emoji17]

You both fought so hard together and Elijah couldn’t have asked for a more devoted and dedicated care giver.

Sleep tightly Elijah, a very precious boy xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in ther same boat. My bunny only has one kidney left and it's only working at 75%

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

... and the heartbreak continues - just twenty six days after losing Elijah, Erin couldn't go on without him - grief overwhelmed her, she became withdrawn and physical health deteriorated ... she became very poorly, very quickly. It was too much to expect an eleven year old to cope with, they were just devoted to each other.

She joined him at the bridge yesterday.

I am so sorry BB, i was hoping 2019 might be kinder to you. Reunite at the bridge little buns xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Oh no :cry: I’m so very sorry you lost Erin too :cry: thinking of you and sending hugs xx

binky free at the bridge Erin xx

Back