• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elijah... kidney function.... now at peace... with his soulmate

Time does fly, and there is never enough of it to spend with our beloved furry friends:cry:

Topping up the vibes and hugs xx

It is scary where time goes & I really get the denial bit. Good you've had some reassurance. It will be foraging season in a few weeks, is Elijah in to forage? If I can help (I love foraging) let me know. I could send him a nice box 1st class in the post each week . I know you can forage but as your time is very stretched

It is scary where time goes & I really get the denial bit. Good you've had some reassurance. It will be foraging season in a few weeks, is Elijah in to forage? If I can help (I love foraging) let me know. I could send him a nice box 1st class in the post each week . I know you can forage but as your time is very stretched

I do too. I remember when I had many many more Rabbits than I do now and at one stage several were very elderly and/or had life limiting illnesses. I think I just zoned out from the fact that they were all very much living on borrowed time.

Offering to gather some forage for Elijah is really thoughtful of you J&B :love:

Thanks again everybody :love:

Aw, thanks, that's really kind. I will be okay foraging for him though just in the gardens as there's plenty to go at .. maybe not for all of them but certainly for one that needs a special diet (plus his companion of course, I have to include her as I feel mean otherwise! I will let you know if there's anything in particular I think he would benefit from that I don't have though.

Thanks again everybody :love:

Aw, thanks, that's really kind. I will be okay foraging for him though just in the gardens as there's plenty to go at .. maybe not for all of them but certainly for one that needs a special diet (plus his companion of course, I have to include her as I feel mean otherwise! I will let you know if there's anything in particular I think he would benefit from that I don't have though.

Yes! Please do that. I could let you know when certain plants are in abundance & get a haul for all your bunnies. I prefer to keep it simple foraging for bunnies other than my own so I'm totally confident & so is the recipient

I'm really worried about my precious boy.

The discharge from his eyes is really sticky and I've not kept on top of looking after them as I should/would have liked these last few days (extreme circumstances) and as I cleaned them today I realise the skin is starting to get sore.

I weighed him a few days ago and he was 1.85, at vets a last visit he weighed 1.9kg, (that was on dog scales so he may not even have lost any), that aspect I'm not worried about.. cautiously relieved if anything.

However, the really worrying bit.. during the last few days he appeared to stumble, not be able to hop properly as he left his litter tray and dragged his legs as he exited. I swapped his tray for a garden tray (that I bought for Rudy but he never got to use :cry:). He's seemed to mobilise okay although a bit slow maybe, when I've observed him since .. however tonight I've just taken him some coriander and he didn't seem to be able to get up from laying down and for a second or two seemed to be dragging his back legs as he came over for it. He then ate his coriander very enthusiastically but I'm so worried about this poor mobility in his legs.

I don't know if the eyes and mobility issues both point towards EC.. or just a general deterioration in health... known kidney issues (though Artie had neither if they are specifically kidney-related).

I have an appointment for him later in the week for a review but I'm hoping to move it to sooner if vet availability/life circumstances permit.... I'm very worried about my beautiful boy.

Last edited:
Sending lots of vibes for Elijah. I hope that you manage to move his review appointment forward, so that you can discuss his new symptoms.

Also sending lots of hugs for you. You seem to have a lot of stressful demands on your time atm.

Poor boy :cry: and poor you :cry: thinking of you and sending lots of vibes for him and hugs to you xx

I'm really worried about my precious boy.

The discharge from his eyes is really sticky and I've not kept on top of looking after them as I should/would have liked these last few days (extreme circumstances) and as I cleaned them today I realise the skin is starting to get sore.

I weighed him a few days ago and he was 1.85, at vets a last visit he weighed 1.9kg, (that was on dog scales so he may not even have lost any), that aspect I'm not worried about.. cautiously relieved if anything.

However, the really worrying bit.. during the last few days he appeared to stumble, not be able to hop properly as he left his litter tray and dragged his legs as he exited. I swapped his tray for a garden tray (that I bought for Rudy but he never got to use :cry:). He's seemed to mobilise okay although a bit slow maybe, when I've observed him since .. however tonight I've just taken him some coriander and he didn't seem to be able to get up from laying down and for a second or two seemed to be dragging his back legs as he came over for it. He then ate his coriander very enthusiastically but I'm so worried about this poor mobility in his legs.

I don't know if the eyes and mobility issues both point towards EC.. or just a general deterioration in health... known kidney issues (though Artie had neither if they are specifically kidney-related).

I have an appointment for him later in the week for a review but I'm hoping to move it to sooner if vet availability/life circumstances permit.... I'm very worried about my beautiful boy.

Oh goodness I am sorry. This is just a random guess, but could his balance problems be due to an ear infection. Gunky eyes can occur as part and parcel of some ear infections. I am not sure if he is still on abx ?

I am so sorry that your precious boy is giving you even more cause for concern. I am sure you are running on empty both physically and emotionally with all you are having to cope with at the moment :cry:

I am always on the end of an email and if I could do more to help I would. Sending Elijah lots and lots of vibes xx

I hope your wonderful vet is able to help . I don't know enough to offer advice but loads of get well thoughts for Elijah

I managed to move Elijah's appointment to today.

He had an in-house blood test and his urea is now 10-point-something instead of 11. I've been advised to think of managing his condition rather than there being a cure, not to get too hopeful but not to be too pessimistic either.

He has lost weight. I can't remember the details as we were discussing how often to weigh him and that their scales are different to mine but if I go by the previous reading on the same scales the loss is the key bit not the overall number.

H felt he was better in a few ways such as it was easier to find a vein and get a blood sample. It broke my heart seeing the sore skin under his eyes but it looks massively better just a few hours later after having the gooey fur trimmed off.

He's a little treasure, I just need to concentrate on spoiling him as much as I can now. I feel I've missed so much time I could have spent with him, hopefully I'll get chance to make that up a little.

I think your vet appointment sounds cautiously optimistic. I think that's how I would view it anyway. I hope that you will be able to find some time to spend with him, although I can imagine that won't be easy for you. Sending him lots more vibes.

Good you got him seen earlier BB & it does sound relatively positive. Will he be reviewed at regular intervals or as & when you're concerned? Loads of special vibes coming Elijahs way

I managed to move Elijah's appointment to today.

He had an in-house blood test and his urea is now 10-point-something instead of 11. I've been advised to think of managing his condition rather than there being a cure, not to get too hopeful but not to be too pessimistic either.

He has lost weight. I can't remember the details as we were discussing how often to weigh him and that their scales are different to mine but if I go by the previous reading on the same scales the loss is the key bit not the overall number.

H felt he was better in a few ways such as it was easier to find a vein and get a blood sample. It broke my heart seeing the sore skin under his eyes but it looks massively better just a few hours later after having the gooey fur trimmed off.

He's a little treasure, I just need to concentrate on spoiling him as much as I can now. I feel I've missed so much time I could have spent with him, hopefully I'll get chance to make that up a little.

Millions more vibes being sent for your special boy and I hope that he can remain as well as possible for as long as possible xx

Best wishes to you and Elijah xx
I know how deep guilt can affect you but please don't feel guilty about not spending the time you feel you've missed with him. He needs you now and your there for him, that's all that matters x

Back