• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elijah... kidney function.... now at peace... with his soulmate

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
It's not normal.

I was hoping his blood test results wouldn't show this but in my heart I really felt they would.

Urea 11.5 (8 is the top of the normal range)
Creatinine 187 (not quite at the top of the range 221 but very high)
Globulin 35 (I think I was told 33 is top of normal range)

He's been quiet for a while. He hasn't been clearing pellets for quite a few months though does eat them a little and hasn't until this last month lost any weight. He's subdued, he's just really not his usual bouncy self. He seems to really feel the cold.
I've been advised to give him a course of Panacur. I don't know if we can hope for improvement or at best to halt this .. but having gone through it with Artie .. the thought of going through it again with dear little Elijah is weighing heavily. As if the poor little soul hasn't had enough to face with his digestive issues.

Last edited:
Poor soul - I'm so sorry your fears have been realised. i hope the panacur helps & he can be stabilised

It's not normal.

I was hoping his blood test results wouldn't show this but in my heart I really felt they would.

Urea 11.5 (8 is the top of the normal range)
Creatinine 187 (not quite at the top of the range 221 but very high)
Globulin 35 (I think I was told 33 is top of normal range)

He's been quiet for a while. He hasn't been clearing pellets for quite a few months though does eat them a little and hasn't until this last month lost any weight. He's subdued, he's just really not his usual bouncy self. He seems to really feel the cold.
I've been advised to give him a course of Panacur. I don't know if we can hope for improvement or at best to halt this .. but having gone through it with Artie .. the thought of going through it again with dear little Elijah is weighing heavily. As if the poor little soul hasn't had enough to face with his digestive issues.

Oh goodness, this really is an additional worry that you dont need :cry: I sincerely hope that Elijah will at least stabilise. Sending millions of vibes for him xx

I'm really sorry to read this update on Elijah. Poor lamb [emoji17] I really hope the meds will help him. Please give him a nose rub from me xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many healing vibes for Elijah and hugs for you, BB. I've had three pets recently with kidney issues and deal with some of my own. It's such a worry. I empathize. (((((((Huge hugs)))))) xxxxxxx

Thanks all so much for the support, I am extremely grateful.

It was such a shock to have it confirmed even though I had a very strong belief that his kidneys were the reason for him being out of sorts.

When the vet was telling me the results and went on to recommend Panacur I felt quite stunned and in denial - I had always convinced myself that Elijah and Erin didn't have E. Cuniculi as Erin had tested negative for it nearly 5 years ago, after they had been together for some time. It had always been a huge reassurance for me that I could feel that's something that wouldn't afflict this very precious pair. Part of what grates with the timing is that I intended to do a swap round at Christmas and move E&E into my office where I could spend my days with them and keep a closer eye on them, I wanted to do it before their sight got worse. They have more room in the spare room but I don't see them as much as I want and time with them is precious. It didn't happen of course as Mum broke her hip and Christmas was turmoil... I've not had chance since but I'm hoping to get time/opportunity to move the at Easter... I just feel life is so full of regrets and missed opportunities - where did the last 8 years go? How come he's now an elderly bun with failing health? He was my baby only a blink ago. 8.5 was the age Artie was when I was told he was in kidney failure, so I think I just went into thinking the worst straight away. I've had lots of encouraging feedback that this can be improved and not necessarily the end. Having to accept the news that EC might be attacking his kidneys is like the cruellest twist of fate though.

I gave him some romaine last night which he ignored but it has gone this morning. I will have to work hard on the greens as he's stasis prone and I don't want to do anything to trigger that.. he's not eating many pellets so I need to find something that sustains him. I will go into meltdown every stasis episode though as I will start imagining kidney stones at every turn.

Thanks again for the support everybody, I think I'd just got a false sense of security with now having 4x ten year old bunnies that if they got past five then somehow they wouldn't be 'old' until they were ten, difficult to explain but I having a bit of a reality check. This little guy is so precious to me.

Back