Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Stasis prone bunnies

Mama Doe

Lucy, just seen this thread. You are more than welcome to have some of those Timothy pellets to try Toby with, for his meds? They are just compressed hay. Let me know and I can bring them over to you
    Bunny mum to Dixie, Blue, Indy (trio), Sir Humphrey Floofalot and River & Albie!
    Piggy mum to Mabel, Peaches and Buzz

Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    Hi neighbour!

I have a few questions.

What brand of hay do you use and where do you buy it?

What treats do you give?

Where did Freddie come from?

How old is Freddie and when did he start getting these episodes.

The day that Toby had his last episode he ate his breakfast in around two seconds. So maybe I'm thinking he's swallowing in them whole then they are expanding in his tummy perhaps? I have took him off excel and in the mean time I'm using digestive health sticks so he has to take longer to chew.

Does Freddie eat quickly?

Xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    Yes Toby has had bloods and x rays which revealed that he had a enlarged heart. He's on treatment for that yet had another episode.

Toby is on the same digestive health sticks as Freddie now. That's worrying he is at experiencing gas.

I have changed a few things to his diet including only using his bowl for meds. He gets one stick for breakfast then I scatter forage in his hay.
    Following the advice on here I'm trying a more natural diet.
    He has:
    Blackcurrant leaves
    Apple twigs ( he's eats a lot of these which he never used to)
    Chicory root
    Dandelion root
    Plantain
    Dandelion
    Marigolds

I also have birch leaves, rasperry leaves, oxbow digestive health on the way. The oxbow biscuits seem interesting - have a look at those. I also have willow bark, sun flowers and rose petals here. This is all ordered from the hay experts. I have also ordered the pellets recommended on here (back to nature??) My hay is from Timothyhay.co.uk and is alot cheaper than the shops nice long strands too! Oh and we are also having oxbow papaya tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by zoe2112 View Post
    Thank you for the reply, has Toby had xrays and bloods done?

Hay-wise he has had a combination. Previously Oxbow oat hay (Amazon), Alfalfa King timothy hay (P@H), Burgess Excel Feeding Hay (Dandelion and Marigold) (P@H), meadow hay maxi pack (The Range) - recently bought for litter tray but he eats it too.

Treats: Readigrass, occasional Naturals Carrotys (crunchy treats)

I don't give him fresh fruit and veg at the moment for fear of gas but will give romaine to hide Infacol if he is gassy

I bought Freddie from someone in Totton. He is 7 months old, he started getting the episodes 9 days after his neuter in February (hospitalised with GI stasis) but before his neuter he was very picky with food so I had been to the vets regarding this as I'd tried so many different types of pellets. He has been hospitalised again this month due to gas and had his investigations done. He almost went in last week as he was gassy and uncomfortable when I went home at lunchtime but I gave him some Infacol and syringe fed him some water and he was fine when I got home after work so the vets said I didn't need to come in.

He doesn't hoover his food so I don't think that causes it. When I am at work he is quite sedatory (I can check in on him on the pet cam) but I don't know whether that is a cause or a symptom. He's now on VetCare Digestive Plus sticks but he is still getting gas and this morning he wasn't interested in them, someone has suggested trying Oxbow but I think I might need to try him on just a hay diet first but I'm worried about him not getting enough nutrients without fresh veg.

At one point I suspected that he was eating his Back2Nature litter so that is why he now has the meadow hay as that covers the newspaper in his litter tray. As he's still getting gas I guess that wasn't the cause either.

Part of me wonders whether he would bring himself out of it if I didn't notice and start fussing over him, though I found him in GI stasis when I worked late and had been out for 12 hours so I don't know whether he had gas to start with which progressed due to not being treated. It's an absolute minefield!
    I go home on lunch time now to check Toby too. That's good that the Infacol is working though isn't it? But it's really exhausting trying to get to the bottom of things. Do you think Freddie could be stressed? Obviously I know that the trigger for Toby was initially his heart but I definitely believe those pellets effected him. Toby is very fussy in the sense he won't eat anything moist ie fresh forage or veg. We are back next Tuesday so I'm going to ask about vitamins supplements etc as im worried :/

Quote Originally Posted by catherine09 View Post
    Lucy, just seen this thread. You are more than welcome to have some of those Timothy pellets to try Toby with, for his meds? They are just compressed hay. Let me know and I can bring them over to you
    Thank you Catherine that's kind of you Xx

Interesting ingredients?

I go home on lunch time now to check Toby too. That's good that the Infacol is working though isn't it? But it's really exhausting trying to get to the bottom of things. Do you think Freddie could be stressed? Obviously I know that the trigger for Toby was initially his heart but I definitely believe those pellets effected him. Toby is very fussy in the sense he won't eat anything moist ie fresh forage or veg. We are back next Tuesday so I'm going to ask about vitamins supplements etc as im worried :/

Iím going to look into the stuff from the hay website, does it come in a large bag? I have no idea what 9kg looks like and as I live in a flat Iím concerned a huge bale will turn up. Iíve read about the long strands and that fills me with joy as the burgess stuff is tiny flakes which get EVERYWHERE.

I thought stress could be a factor as weíve moved in a future wife for him but Margot came home after heíd recovered from his initial GI stasis hospitalisation. Theyíll be bonded once heís better and sheís a few more weeks clear from her spay.

At the moment heís mostly on hay and I only give him a little food when I get home from work so I can give him tummy massages and infacol if necessary in the evening. Iím managing it okay at home and am planning to take him in over the Easter break but Iím such a worrier that I have no doubt Iíll be in next week too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iím going to look into the stuff from the hay website, does it come in a large bag? I have no idea what 9kg looks like and as I live in a flat Iím concerned a huge bale will turn up. Iíve read about the long strands and that fills me with joy as the burgess stuff is tiny flakes which get EVERYWHERE.

I thought stress could be a factor as weíve moved in a future wife for him but Margot came home after heíd recovered from his initial GI stasis hospitalisation. Theyíll be bonded once heís better and sheís a few more weeks clear from her spay.

At the moment heís mostly on hay and I only give him a little food when I get home from work so I can give him tummy massages and infacol if necessary in the evening. Iím managing it okay at home and am planning to take him in over the Easter break but Iím such a worrier that I have no doubt Iíll be in next week too!

I think I spoke too soon. Freddie has gas that wonít seem to shift tonight. He keeps flopping out even though heís getting fed up with me fussing over him. Heís still eating hay and pooping and last time I called the out of hours they told me to wait until morning, looks like I have a sleepless night ahead of me. Iíve also found a scab behind his head, kind of between his shoulder blades. The internet searches suggest itís from meds injected but he was last in about 2 weeks ago so seems quite a delayed reaction.

Wise Old Thumper

Sending lots of vibes for Freddie. How is he this morning?

I think I spoke too soon. Freddie has gas that wonít seem to shift tonight. He keeps flopping out even though heís getting fed up with me fussing over him. Heís still eating hay and pooping and last time I called the out of hours they told me to wait until morning, looks like I have a sleepless night ahead of me. Iíve also found a scab behind his head, kind of between his shoulder blades. The internet searches suggest itís from meds injected but he was last in about 2 weeks ago so seems quite a delayed reaction.

Oh no poor Freddie :, ( What's the situation this morning

Hmm that's weird, I have spoken to anton vets today as my maple (Tobys soon to be wife) has had a reaction to a vaccine that she had two weeks ago. Hers is more lumped than scabby though.

Oh no poor Freddie :, ( What's the situation this morning

Hmm that's weird, I have spoken to anton vets today as my maple (Tobys soon to be wife) has had a reaction to a vaccine that she had two weeks ago. Hers is more lumped than scabby though.

Heís doing okay today, he managed to get over it about and hour after the third dose of Infacol, usually he only needs one dose. I think I could even feel an air bubble when I was rubbing his tummy, it felt like his whole stomach did when he was in stasis. I held off taking him as heís doing okay today and binkying about quite happily. Iím starting to think I can see a hint of a head tilt but I donít know if thatís all in my head as I lost my last bunny that way. Iím starting to think Iím going crazy, my husband definitely thinks I am! Iíve attached a photo of his scab behind his head.