Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stasis prone bunnies

Default Stasis prone bunnies

Any advice would be appreciated. Three stasis in a month...They are saying it could be stress or a broken heart if meds aren't working. On the way home from the vets yesterday obviously Toby was stressed then produced stasisy sized poops again with all sorts of shapes. I called the vet to ask if he definitely had normal poop before he was discharged and they said yes. Now he's back producing his normal golden nuggets.

Is there anything I can do to stop or help prevent the gas he keeps getting? Is there anything I can try or remove. After the vets today I have reduced his pellets to 8 in the morning and 8 at night for his meds. I asked the vet on duty if reducing pellets would help prevent gas. She said no diet nothing to do with it and he needs his minerals from it.

However! Every time he has had his episodes it's been straight after breakfast then he will start belly pressing.

Any opinions? We are starting to feel lost. My chinchilla has the same diet as the bunnys forage wise only he's on selective science nuggets and maple no problems at the moment :/

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Also can a vet come up with a treatment for gas at home rather than having to go every time? My mums rabbit has been prescribed stuff to use at home. I'm back to work Monday and I won't be able to do the 120 miles of driving I've done with Toby to and from the vets, not without extreme criticism anyway. I've already been told I shouldn't have pets!

Last edited by loobers25; 16-03-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Wise Old Thumper

Is Toby on the same pellets as when you got him? Just trying to think why he is like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    Is Toby on the same pellets as when you got him? Just trying to think why he is like this.
    He has been on excel with mint for nearly two years xx

Wise Old Thumper

Didn't the Vet have any ideas as to what the problem is?

I should note that Toby has never eaten veg never will. He's a very fussy eater. He likes dried forage, pellets and fibre sticks.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    He has been on excel with mint for nearly two years xx

It can't be that then can it.

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    Didn't the Vet have any ideas as to what the problem is?
    Well Toby has an enlarged heart so we thought when he was on his heart meds thinks would change. But 10 days into the meds he has an episode.

It all started when Millie died. We where struggling to get him to eat and was sad. So we took him to the rescue where he met maple. He ignored her but she liked him so I took her home on the agreement that I would spay her. Then they shared a carrier on the way home and then he went back living in his room for a few days then 1st episode.

We then thought he wanted some company so we moved him in his new room where he was much happier. Followed by two episodes that happened after breakfast :/

Wise Old Thumper

Sorry, I had overlooked this. I am sorry you are having these problems. xx

Some rabbits most definitely can't tolerate pellets. When I had my bunnies with horrendous stasis issues, I used to also notice this problem not long after pellets. I ended up giving a hay and dried forage diet.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover bunnies xxx
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs