Thread: New Mum feeding advice

Default New Mum feeding advice

Afternoon,

I'm sure this is covered somewhere but struggling to find it. I have a rescue doe that has turned me into an Aunty this morning! She has free access to nuggets, mounds of hay and fresh vegis. I was just wondering should he be on burgess excel junior or regular whilst nursing? (Before anyone says anything about the nuggets I have to feed what the rescue gives it's not my choice). I am aware Mum is needing extra protein and energy and with other species would feed the baby variety of their food, is this the same with rabbits?

Thank you
    Tracy and my many. many pets including Smudge Bunny and his wife Bella

Irun a cattery and small animal boarding business

http://fondbriggcottagecattery.co.uk/ where every guest is treated as my own all the time they're here xx

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Elliegirl View Post
    Afternoon,

I'm sure this is covered somewhere but struggling to find it. I have a rescue doe that has turned me into an Aunty this morning! She has free access to nuggets, mounds of hay and fresh vegis. I was just wondering should he be on burgess excel junior or regular whilst nursing? (Before anyone says anything about the nuggets I have to feed what the rescue gives it's not my choice). I am aware Mum is needing extra protein and energy and with other species would feed the baby variety of their food, is this the same with rabbits?

Thank you
    You could feed the Excel Junior and maybe feed some Alfalfa hay too. Dark leafy greens are good for promoting milk production. Obviously any dietary changes need to be done gradually, I am sure you already know that
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Banned

Afternoon,

Thank you

Hey there

It might be a good idea to feed her the junior food for the time being, if you have it.

Some info here maybe:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...king-on-Babies

Other than that, the good diet you are already supplying

How many babies, or don't you know yet?

Wise Old Thumper

Your rabbit will very likely appreciate fresh grass if you have some nearby and a few Dandelions.

FOUR!!! As a rescue we really don't need them as we are full to over capacity BUT we would never risk mum's welfare and life by spaying her whilst pregnant and when scanned she was well established. The owners who signed her over had let her meet their mates male bunny and told me excitedly she may be pregnant when I collected her......so frustrating, however she and the babies will get the love and care they need

Thanks for the advice x

http://fondbriggcottagecattery.co.uk/ where every guest is treated as my own all the time they're here xx

Sadly not we're in Yorkshire that is rather behind in spring. The hawthorn bushes are starting to sprout though so some forage will be available soon x

Banned

FOUR!!! As a rescue we really don't need them as we are full to over capacity BUT we would never risk mum's welfare and life by spaying her whilst pregnant and when scanned she was well established. The owners who signed her over had let her meet their mates male bunny and told me excitedly she may be pregnant when I collected her......so frustrating, however she and the babies will get the love and care they need

Thanks for the advice x

Well four babies is wonderful in one respect, but a handful of wonderful new life you could well have managed without!

Good luck with them, and I hope they find new homes easily for you xx