• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does anyone else's buns get gas when in a moult?

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Archie gets gas twice a year when he's moulting. He gets uncomfy and refuses treats, but we've learnt the signs and can generally get him eating again within a few hrs.

He doesn't get stringey poops, so I don't think it's from ingesting fur as such. But I think he poops less.

Can it be just from the stress of growing a new coat? He has much denser fur than Pip. (We call it floofier)

He also starts chewing furniture a few days before as if he's trying to tell us he's not feeling right.

He did this last night, but he's eating again now and I'm giving him more free range time so her keeps moving!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Encourage lots of hay eating, wet veg and exercise. Moulting is stressful so this might slow down his gut. Hope he keeps eating. xx

Encourage lots of hay eating, wet veg and exercise. Moulting is stressful so this might slow down his gut. Hope he keeps eating. xx

I agree. Loads of long fibre (hay), fluids and exercise should help. Also, I'd groom him daily to minimise the amount of fur he ingests.

Rabbits often crave fibre when their cecum is 'sluggish', but the fibre they go for is frequently of the wrong sort- ie wood, newspaper, cardboard etc. So that may be why you notice that Archie chews a lot of furniture just prior to an 'episode'.

tonibun has given good advice :D

Also, a moulting bunny will need a few extra calories or the moult snuggles to complete itself.

Vibes for Archie xx

I agree. Loads of long fibre (hay), fluids and exercise should help. Also, I'd groom him daily to minimise the amount of fur he ingests.

Rabbits often crave fibre when their cecum is 'sluggish', but the fibre they go for is frequently of the wrong sort- ie wood, newspaper, cardboard etc. So that may be why you notice that Archie chews a lot of furniture just prior to an 'episode'.
He has loads of hay, 3 different types, but he still chooses furniture at these times!

I'll try more grooming and see if that helps. But his fur doesn't come off him very easily. Maybe that's why it stresses him?

He has loads of hay, 3 different types, but he still chooses furniture at these times!

I'll try more grooming and see if that helps. But his fur doesn't come off him very easily. Maybe that's why it stresses him?

I sometimes have to painstakingly pluck .....

Try using a grooming glove and groom against the direction of fur growth. Then use damp hands to smooth the fur back down and remove a lot of what has come out.

https://www.jmldirect.com/pets/pet-grooming/true-touch-silicone-pet-grooming-glove-and-massager/

The fur at the base of the spine, just above the tail is a place where fur felts often occur. These can be gently teased out by hand as long as it's done daily and therefore not given the chance to really build up.

Haha. Yes my OH does that (he quite enjoys it!) He seems to loose his undercoat so you have to tease it out.

:lol: Yes, there's some fur that any grooming aid just won't get out!

I find plucking a couple of times a day is necessary. Not always welcome though :roll:

[emoji38] Yes, there's some fur that any grooming aid just won't get out!

I find plucking a couple of times a day is necessary. Not always welcome though :roll:
Certainly isn't welcome...we distract him with treats

Yes they will get very fat with all that plucking [emoji38]

And Nethies can look like little balls sometimes anyway!
Haha. Luckily we only give them forage treats. Hopefully he won't turn into a porky pie!

Haha. Luckily we only give them forage treats. Hopefully he won't turn into a porky pie!

Forage= fibre and moisture = v good for moults :thumb:

I bought some dill last night and they are tearing it out of my hands!

Forage= fibre and moisture = v good for moults :thumb:

I bought some dill last night and they are tearing it out of my hands!
I think Archie just grunted! Never heard it before. They are both snoozling by the radiator and then I must have woken him. He sort of oinked. But I didn't see if happen!
Weird

I think Archie just grunted! Never heard it before. They are both snoozling by the radiator and then I must have woken him. He sort of oinked. But I didn't see if happen!
Weird

A piggie bun?

Is it time for a photo? :)

A piggie bun?

Is it time for a photo? :)
Because you asked so nicely.....
ae0553e828b88ae99cb7e90dd1ebb18e.jpg
ff9292d69b03c2ae8d5c0e0c226d22c8.jpg

Back