• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nancy has EC UPDATE #29 :)

Nancy, although well in herself, has shown no improvement 11 days in to her course of Panacur.

She has had a follow up vet visit and her weight has dropped slightly from 2.2kg to 2.15kg (vet not worried about this as she was fidgety on the scales).

She has had a scan of her urinary tract and vet does not think the crystals are the cause of the urinary incontinence.

He explained it was difficult with Rabbits to do neurological tests, however he did something with her back legs, which I can only compare to when Supervet Noel turns a cats or dogs paws to check if they spring back. He said her left leg had a slightly slower reaction than normal, which may explain why I have noticed her dragging that leg on one occasion. He has also confirmed she has no arthritis in her rear legs.

We have resumed Metacam alongside the Panacur and she has a follow up appointment in just over 2 weeks when she has finished the Panacur course.

OH usually leaves all the talking and questions to me but when Alex started talking about quality of life and long term prognosis (if she does not significantly improve after 28 days of Panacur)I was unable to speak. But OH said we had no issues with mopping up wee and sweeping up poop, whilst she was her usual hungry, bolshy self.

Sorry to hear there's been no improvement Den - it must be disheartening, especially when a vet begins to query her quality of life :(

There's some info and links here:

http://www.hopperhome.com/Disabled Rabbit.htm

Much of it may not be relevant, but there might be something helpful.
It may be over time the Panacur does help, but it's so difficult to know with rabbits. Some can put up with things and others just don't/can't. Hoping you both can cope with this xx

Thanks everyone for the kind words and the advice/links.

Both Will and Nancy enjoyed an afternoon in the garden yesterday.:love:

Just catching up with this thread. Fran isn't on metacam and I now wonder if she should be. Like you, I am dreading finding her with head tilt. It sounds like Nancy is still enjoying life which is so important.

Sending lots and lots of vibes for Nancy xxx

Nancy had her 'End of Panacur' vet check earlier in the week.

I am very pleased to report she has regained the weight she had lost and overall Alex was very pleased with her, as am I.She had a very thorough general health check as well and Alex noted she appeared much brighter and alert than at her previous visits.

I am very superstitious and have delayed updating (silly I know) .

Nancy seems so much better generally, I have not noticed the left rear foot dragging, she is grooming herself far more (as she used to), running over for food, treats and headrubs and periscoping again.

There is still the odd 'wee' accident but nowhere near as much as there had been. She is not drinking as much either.

Nancy is booked in for her Nobivac at the end of the month so will have a full health check again then.

Providing her symptoms do not return she is to have a blood test to check everything is functioning as it should be in a couple of months.

Thank you all who have advised and sent vibes, it has been really helpful and meant a lot at what was a really horrendous start to the year.

If I was posting this on Facebook I think I would be 'Feeling Optimistic'

I am very pleased to report she has regained the weight she had lost and overall Alex was very pleased with her, as am I.She had a very thorough general health check as well and Alex noted she appeared much brighter and alert than at her previous visits.

Nancy seems so much better generally, I have not noticed the left rear foot dragging, she is grooming herself far more (as she used to), running over for food, treats and headrubs and periscoping again.

There is still the odd 'wee' accident but nowhere near as much as there had been. She is not drinking as much either.

Nancy is booked in for her Nobivac at the end of the month so will have a full health check again then.

Providing her symptoms do not return she is to have a blood test to check everything is functioning as it should be in a couple of months.

Thank you all who have advised and sent vibes, it has been really helpful and meant a lot at what was a really horrendous start to the year.

Couldn't be better :)

When I began to read your post I saw it as "End of Panacur" party :lol:

That's such a good update :D

Back