• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tips for tackling undercoat matting?

nessar

Warren Veteran
So we have just got a new bunny from a rescue. On the surface her coat looks fine, but I’ve noticed that her undercoat seems to be matted on her chest, although the surface of the coat is fine. She’s a big bunny so the matts cover a large area, but they aren’t on any other part of her.

It’s in a really awkward area because when we hold her, or restrain her on the ground, to try and comb it, she puts her head down, which covers it. It doesn’t help that you can’t actually see it, only feel it, and I also don’t think our comb is the best.

Any tips, or recommendations on brushes/combs etc that would help get the matts out?

Here she is (orange bunny)
2eq9kz5.jpg

Last edited:
They are both lovely :)

One of our rabbits is an Angora type and can get matted really easily. I'm no expert, but I've found that cutting them out with scissors works best as the comb just won't go through them. I painstakingly separated the fur so I could see her skin and worked my way out.

I don't know if it would work but I wonder if you could try using a hold my vet uses for claw clipping. She has me hold the rabbit with their back against my chest, one hand under her front paws and the other around holding her back legs. That way maybe between two of you, one could hold her up and the other could access the mats underneath.

HTH :) x

When Mackers bought Imogen to me she also bought some clippers that I think Georgey got? They're to trim the fur round her eyes as she doesn’t see too well, but I find they're also really good for Smudge's matts, they get them out easily without me having to risk using scissors. And the last six months or so he seems to be getting quite a few matts, I think he's being a bit lazy with grooming himself. They don’t cut at all, I tested them out on my own skin and they just tickle, so if I do touch the skin by accident it’s not a problem.

They’re both so gorgeous :love:

Aboleth gets wet on her front if it's wet outside, because when she eats her chest touches the ground. I try and check her for matts but have to choose my time carefully for the same reasons as you! Lopsy has a lovely chest area (he's much easier to check/distract with food) but his back feet soles are a mess at the moment :roll: Good luck!

When Mackers bought Imogen to me she also bought some clippers that I think Georgey got? They're to trim the fur round her eyes as she doesn’t see too well, but I find they're also really good for Smudge's matts, they get them out easily without me having to risk using scissors. And the last six months or so he seems to be getting quite a few matts, I think he's being a bit lazy with grooming himself. They don’t cut at all, I tested them out on my own skin and they just tickle, so if I do touch the skin by accident it’s not a problem.

They’re both so gorgeous :love:

What clippers are they? I am considering getting some as I have 6 long haired guinea pigs who are not fans of being held and receiving hair cuts!

Oh great. Thanks. Will look into those. Not from pets at home though!

Yeah I looked at Argos and Wilko's but couldn’t find anything similar. I’m sure you could probably get something elsewhere.

Thanks everyone! As most people seem to recommend clipping or cutting the matts out, I’ve booked her in with the vet tomorrow to be clipped. I want to get her checked out anyway as she’s been sneezing.

Hi, Ive just taken Lucy to the vets to be clipped, she gets really mucky around her bum, and I can't get the matts out on my own. I bought a set of clippers at the pet show, but I'm too nervous to use them on my own. The lovely vet has said to bring them with me next time and she'll hold Lucy so I can have a go.
On the sneezing, Dave has had snuffles when he was a baby and he still sneezes occasionally but the vets just checked him and his chest is clear. There's a whole thread on here about snuffles if you want to read it before you go to the vets.

To get between my bunnies front legs I have them on my knee sideways, lean over them and lift the furthest front leg and comb under it and under their chin. Then reverse bun and do the other side.

Just a little update - it took a couple of vet visits but Holly is now matt free :) we did buy some clippers and try ourselves but it was really close to the skin so we left it to the vet.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Dillon came with mats, like Holly the top looked fine. We have a brush that we gentle brush him with every other day. The fur down his back and chest are now fine its his tail area that is dreadlocked. Rubber washing up gloves are good for teasing the mat at the base then as it loosens the brush. The washing up gloves seem to grip the fur and dont upset Dillon.

Glad that you are matt free now.

Back