• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head Tilt

I've had the blood tests back. Here is part of the email from the vet: "He is negative for E. cuniculi and treatment with panacur can be stopped. This means that the head tilt is caused by other problems such as possible tumour or bacterial infection. The blood test for the general health check showed increased levels of neutrophils ( white cells) and this is consistent with an inflammatory process possibly due to bacteria.

He also shows mild anemia and mild changes of the liver parameters but they do not seem to be a problem at this stage. We just need to monitor these parameters to be sure they do not get worse. "

I think he showed some signs of improvement today, he's moving around a bit more.

Last edited:
I've had the blood tests back. Here is part of the email from the vet: "He is negative for E. cuniculi and treatment with panacur can be stopped. This means that the head tilt is caused by other problems such as possible tumour or bacterial infection. The blood test for the general health check showed increased levels of neutrophils ( white cells) and this is consistent with an inflammatory process possibly due to bacteria.

He also shows mild anemia and mild changes of the liver parameters but they do not seem to be a problem at this stage. We just need to monitor these parameters to be sure they do not get worse. "

I think he showed some signs of improvement today, he's moving around a bit more.

Liver enzymes can be altered when a Rabbit is on Panacur. This should fully resolve when treatment stops. So hopefully there is not too much to worry about there at the moment.

A bacterial infection does sound to be the most likely cause of the vestibular symptoms and as you have no doubt heard from elsewhere, the treatment for a middle ear infection usually needs to be ongoing for many many weeks. Maybe even months. It is very encouraging that Bandit appears to be coping reasonably well again at the moment and that recently you have noticed small signs of improvement. I think continuing to take things one day at a time is what I would do. I am certain that you will do whatever is in the best interests of Bandit x

Last edited:

Hi there and thanks for reporting back.

It sounds from the blood test that he's just had that it may be an inner ear infection that's causing the problems. I am pleased to see E.C. has been eliminated. As I'm sure you know (I've probably said before!) that treatment for inner ear infection often has to go on for some weeks before seeing an improvement. I am glad you feel you're seeing some improvement - a very positive sign :D

Regarding the liver parameters mentioned - the Panacur can cause some alterations in the liver enzyme values, but these should return to normal. Your vet is right to see an eye on them. I have experienced this myself in rabbits and often the next blood test shows all is well.

Continued vibes for Bandit :)

I went back to the vet on Monday. Bandit is now on penicillin injections. The vet believes the problem is neurological and not inner ear. She has given me two weeks of meds. If he doesn't improve within 2 weeks she said she thinks it will be time to put him to sleep. He seems to have got worse with circling and his upright eye is bulging. He's still eating though.

I'm very sorry to read this:( I'm hoping that the Pen injections help. Sending you lots of hugs. It must be very distressing.

Thanks. I thought we were getting somewhere last week. I am inclined to agree that if there's no improvement then I'll let him go.

I went back to the vet on Monday. Bandit is now on penicillin injections. The vet believes the problem is neurological and not inner ear. She has given me two weeks of meds. If he doesn't improve within 2 weeks she said she thinks it will be time to put him to sleep. He seems to have got worse with circling and his upright eye is bulging. He's still eating though.

Gracious, what a difficult time for you all :(

Sending you vibes to cope with all of this, and healing for the little one.

Poor Bandit, did the Vet give you any lubricant to use in his eyes. Head tilt Rabbits often require this as they can suffer from 'dry eye'. Also, did the Vet check his intraocular pressures ?

Sending lots of vibes for your brave old man xx

Thanks for all your vibes. He's not any better or any worse. I've got some eye drops for him. No, I don't think the intraocular pressures were checked.

Back