• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rubber Chippings in rabbit run

Hello!
has anyone ever used eco rubber chippings in a rabbit enclosure before? the company I have emailed have said they are safe to use, however I would like to know any advice from people who may have used it themselves, or any ideas of what flooring I could use in an outdoor run that could be cleaned (not paving slabs though)
Thank you! x

Hello!
has anyone ever used eco rubber chippings in a rabbit enclosure before? the company I have emailed have said they are safe to use, however I would like to know any advice from people who may have used it themselves, or any ideas of what flooring I could use in an outdoor run that could be cleaned (not paving slabs though)
Thank you! x

Do you actually mean rubber chippings or rubber matting ? IE like stable matting.

The latter is fine to use x

Hello!
Thank you! x

I replied on your other thread

Do you actually mean rubber chippings or rubber matting ? IE like stable matting.

The latter is fine to use x

Hello!
Thank you! x

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

People have used stable matting for this purpose:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Arksuperso...m-1pc/1049168288?_trksid=p2047675.m4097.l9055

I have looked up the eco clippings you mention and personally I wouldn't find them suitable as the base of a rabbit run.

I hope that helps!

I know people who use the rubber chippings in their chicken run and absolutely swear by them - they just hose them down when they need cleaning. I’d be worried a rabbit might eat them though?

I would be concerned that the rabbits would eat the rubber chippings - mine would certainly chew it. There may also be an issue of the uneven surface and sore hocks, etc. Gravel and fake grass also have problems for rabbits.

I would prefer to use horse stable matting sheets.

Paving slabs would be a better option overall as they are relatively cheap and easy to clean / disinfect, and dig-proof.

I do mean rubber chippings over rubber matting, its like bark but rubber so I can clean it!
I'm in such a pickle with what to use! I have spoken to companies regarding them and they have said they are safe to use in a animal enclose however they do no know the consequences if eaten so also my concern! I have spoken to my vet about it and she thinks as they will have a whole run they may not be interested in the flooring.... also not convinced??
I have seen online people use old tyres as digging/sand pits therefore I assumed rubber is safe to use in an enclosure? the chippings are basically made from old tyres!
my problem is I have a husband who hates all my animals! so I need to be able to create something that "doesn't spoil the look of the garden" but still gives them a nice life! therefore something that looks natural and blends in! I didn't really want to use paving slabs as I have created a digging pit that it slightly burred into the floor (mesh bottom so they cants dig out) therefore to paving slab around the digging pit would be really difficult! and wont paving slabs create hock sores?

Can you not just use the stable matting with a layer of hay that you sweep out regularly? I’ve never used it in a run but it would last awhile like that, surely?

If not what about hardwood chippings? The type used in chicken runs. You wouldn’t be able to hose them down like the rubber chips - I use them on meshed hard packed earth in a covered run with hay on top and change them about every 6 months. They get slightly manky by late winter even in a covered run but just about do the job for me and are brilliant he rest of the year. They are expensive initially as you have to buy in bulk generally and you need somewhere to store them.

I use bark-uk.co.uk and was looking for a link for you but all their products seem to have disappeared which is slightly worrying for me.

I used something similar in my shed at my old house - it didn’t work for me as one of my buns is a monster chewer and he just pulled them apart. I don’t think they’d work outside as they sort of soak up any moisture - stable matting is a lot more water repellent.

The interlocking mats are not designed for use outside. They are thinner than stable matting and give lots of opportunity for small edge bits to be chewed - which would make them look untidy fairly quickly. I suspect they would be awkward to keep properly clean as well.

There are all types of paving available, not just standard grey concrete slabs. I always thought about using fake concrete sleepers - and they are available in rubber:
https://www.marshalls.co.uk/homeowners/view-woodstone-sleepers
https://www.greenfingers.com/product.asp?dept_id=10000037&pf_id=LK7625D

And grass reinforcement mesh:
https://www.sure-green.com/products/grass-reinforcement.php

You could make all sorts of designs - maybe put grass or herbs (chamomile?) between them (meshed underneath), or very small gravel over landscaping fabric. It could look good and be practical for the rabbits.

Back