• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my newly adopted bun's poo level has dropped drastically

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
I am facing a situation that I haven't never seen before. My bun Fudgie, adopted on Sat. evening and Sun. the whole day, his poos level is average, but there are about 3 dozen poo on the floor. But since Monday morning to Mon. at midnight, there is only 4 piece of poo, and they are somewhat smaller than the big ones he was unloading yesterday

But he's full of energy and there are at least 4 urine spots. And he's eating everything, 2 slice of banana, pellets (new type Oxbow + his old type Martin ), carrot.

And he's busy hopping around.

The only possible guess is, because of Martin pellet, he doesn't eat enough hay. So in the past 2 days, he is still a pellet junkie, so I give him 3 to 4 servings of his Martin + my new Oxbow pellets. The Oxbow encourage him to eat hay. It's possible his stomach is too sensitive for the new Oxbow, in other words, I 'm switching over too fast

I can't think of any other possiblity. And yet he has no other sign of any sort of GI stasis. In other words, if you don't look at his poo level, he would be 100% perfectly normal

anyone has any idea? His vet appt. is on Wed.

Fudgie has had a lot of stress over recent days Jason, a move to a new home, a fight with another Rabbit. So some changes in GI tract motility is not really surprising. Hopefully with time and a good hay based diet his output will return to normal xx

Poo has returned to normal. He's on a pure hay diet for the past 2 days, I plan to give him 1 more day of pure timothy hay diet, then move back to a small amt. of pellet

P.S. what do you think of the name Fudgie? it's a goofy name, isn't it?

Poo has returned to normal. He's on a pure hay diet for the past 2 days, I plan to give him 1 more day of pure timothy hay diet, then move back to a small amt. of pellet

P.S. what do you think of the name Fudgie? it's a goofy name, isn't it?

Glad to hear that his output is back to normal.

It's only right that Fudgie should have a 'goofy' name, in memory of Goofball :love:

Back