Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Bunny moving head up and down (not eye movement)

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by bunny mummy 1 View Post
    Ashleigh vets is where I went. Leanne is the vet I usually see here
    If it were me and I had a good working relationship with the Vet I'd have another open discussion regarding the Panacur. My own unqualified opinion about the use of Panacur is not that of most people and I wont elaborate on that further on here. But if you strongly believe that you want to give Panacur to your Rabbit and you do not want him to have to undergo any diagnostics then you are entitled to say so.
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Banned

Me too! Not going to lie I'm tempted to just go buy some from pets at home. Bailey does seem much better I haven't seen her Bob at all lately going to let her totally free range tomorrow to check but I feel hopeful. Now just need to make sure I give antibiotics long enough so it's gone. How do you know when it's gone? The infection I mean

I posted this on another thread just this morning:

All rabbits recently acquired, regardless of background, should receive a single course of Lapizole for 4 weeks by mouth. This treatment is based on the theory that if the rabbit is carrying E. cuniculi, Lapizole will kill the parasite before it causes further damage. This in turn may prevent clinical signs from developing.

It should be noted that treating a rabbit with Lapizole that does not have E. cuniculi should not cause any adverse effects.

There is no lasting effect of Lapizole, therefore if a rabbit comes into contact with the protozoan after receiving the treatment course, it is still at risk of developing the disease.

Any new rabbits entering a home with other rabbits should undergo a quarantine and treatment period.

If putting a rabbit in a pre-existing hutch or run, then hygiene is crucial. Spores are relatively resistant to environmental change. At average temperatures, and in dry conditions, the average spore survival time is four weeks. The parasite is, however, easily killed with contact with bleach 1-10% for a minimum of 30 seconds.

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-are...ion/e-cuniculi

I know all vets have a different approach. But the general consensus is that giving it as a preventative is not going to do any harm. Since the test for E.C. can be unreliable and expensive, then it's a judgement call. Worth talking with your vet or another about it?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    I posted this on another thread just this morning:

All rabbits recently acquired, regardless of background, should receive a single course of Lapizole for 4 weeks by mouth. This treatment is based on the theory that if the rabbit is carrying E. cuniculi, Lapizole will kill the parasite before it causes further damage. This in turn may prevent clinical signs from developing.

It should be noted that treating a rabbit with Lapizole that does not have E. cuniculi should not cause any adverse effects.

There is no lasting effect of Lapizole, therefore if a rabbit comes into contact with the protozoan after receiving the treatment course, it is still at risk of developing the disease.

Any new rabbits entering a home with other rabbits should undergo a quarantine and treatment period.

If putting a rabbit in a pre-existing hutch or run, then hygiene is crucial. Spores are relatively resistant to environmental change. At average temperatures, and in dry conditions, the average spore survival time is four weeks. The parasite is, however, easily killed with contact with bleach 1-10% for a minimum of 30 seconds.

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-are...ion/e-cuniculi

I know all vets have a different approach. But the general consensus is that giving it as a preventative is not going to do any harm. Since the test for E.C. can be unreliable and expensive, then it's a judgement call. Worth talking with your vet or another about it?
    Bailey is doing so much better I don't think she's bobby at all. I think I would like to do a just incase course of panacur. But thinking about how long I should be doing antibiotics as I want to do a long course. Currently just less than 2 weeks

Banned

Bailey is doing so much better I don't think she's bobby at all. I think I would like to do a just incase course of panacur. But thinking about how long I should be doing antibiotics as I want to do a long course. Currently just less than 2 weeks

The vet has already extended the course - will they do so again? Do you have to have another consult?

Wise Old Thumper

I am glad that the head bobbing appears to be resolving. When are you due to take her back to the Vet ? Generally speaking it is advisable to continue abx treatment for several days after all clinical symptoms have resolved. So I would discuss this with your Vet
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    I am glad that the head bobbing appears to be resolving. When are you due to take her back to the Vet ? Generally speaking it is advisable to continue abx treatment for several days after all clinical symptoms have resolved. So I would discuss this with your Vet
    No appointment booked in they wanted to admit her on Tuesday to do the X-ray but as much better I thought I would cancel and see how she goes. I have had a consult on the phone previously and picked up medication after that which meant I didn't have to disturb the peace in the hairy family separating them and taking her back so I may give them a call tomorrow. Do have at least 5 days of antibiotics but maybe only 2 of stemetil and maybe 3 of metacam but don't know if she still needs the second two

Banned

No appointment booked in they wanted to admit her on Tuesday to do the X-ray but as much better I thought I would cancel and see how she goes. I have had a consult on the phone previously and picked up medication after that which meant I didn't have to disturb the peace in the hairy family separating them and taking her back so I may give them a call tomorrow. Do have at least 5 days of antibiotics but maybe only 2 of stemetil and maybe 3 of metacam but don't know if she still needs the second two

I guess if you stop the Stemetil and Metacam when you run out it may indicate that they were doing some good, so perhaps it would be useful to see what happens in the short term?

Your vet would be the one to advise on this.
    Last edited by MightyMax; 29-03-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Wise Old Thumper

I would give the Vet a call before the meds run out (dont forget it's a Bank Holiday weekend......). I would definitely not stop any of the medication before you do that. I really hope that your Bunny is well on her way to a full recovery now xx

Just spoke to the vet she said fine to stop all medication and monitor over the next week to see if any re-occurance. She's been on medicine for just over 3 weeks now

Banned

Just spoke to the vet she said fine to stop all medication and monitor over the next week to see if any re-occurance. She's been on medicine for just over 3 weeks now

I was wondering how you were getting on.

I'm glad your vet has agreed to stop the meds. Hope she does well.