• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny moving head up and down (not eye movement)

Ashleigh vets is where I went. Leanne is the vet I usually see here

If it were me and I had a good working relationship with the Vet I'd have another open discussion regarding the Panacur. My own unqualified opinion about the use of Panacur is not that of most people and I wont elaborate on that further on here. But if you strongly believe that you want to give Panacur to your Rabbit and you do not want him to have to undergo any diagnostics then you are entitled to say so.

Me too! Not going to lie I'm tempted to just go buy some from pets at home. Bailey does seem much better I haven't seen her Bob at all lately going to let her totally free range tomorrow to check but I feel hopeful. Now just need to make sure I give antibiotics long enough so it's gone. How do you know when it's gone? The infection I mean

I posted this on another thread just this morning:

All rabbits recently acquired, regardless of background, should receive a single course of Lapizole for 4 weeks by mouth. This treatment is based on the theory that if the rabbit is carrying E. cuniculi, Lapizole will kill the parasite before it causes further damage. This in turn may prevent clinical signs from developing.

It should be noted that treating a rabbit with Lapizole that does not have E. cuniculi should not cause any adverse effects.

There is no lasting effect of Lapizole, therefore if a rabbit comes into contact with the protozoan after receiving the treatment course, it is still at risk of developing the disease.

Any new rabbits entering a home with other rabbits should undergo a quarantine and treatment period.

If putting a rabbit in a pre-existing hutch or run, then hygiene is crucial. Spores are relatively resistant to environmental change. At average temperatures, and in dry conditions, the average spore survival time is four weeks. The parasite is, however, easily killed with contact with bleach 1-10% for a minimum of 30 seconds.

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

I know all vets have a different approach. But the general consensus is that giving it as a preventative is not going to do any harm. Since the test for E.C. can be unreliable and expensive, then it's a judgement call. Worth talking with your vet or another about it?

I posted this on another thread just this morning:

All rabbits recently acquired, regardless of background, should receive a single course of Lapizole for 4 weeks by mouth. This treatment is based on the theory that if the rabbit is carrying E. cuniculi, Lapizole will kill the parasite before it causes further damage. This in turn may prevent clinical signs from developing.

It should be noted that treating a rabbit with Lapizole that does not have E. cuniculi should not cause any adverse effects.

There is no lasting effect of Lapizole, therefore if a rabbit comes into contact with the protozoan after receiving the treatment course, it is still at risk of developing the disease.

Any new rabbits entering a home with other rabbits should undergo a quarantine and treatment period.

If putting a rabbit in a pre-existing hutch or run, then hygiene is crucial. Spores are relatively resistant to environmental change. At average temperatures, and in dry conditions, the average spore survival time is four weeks. The parasite is, however, easily killed with contact with bleach 1-10% for a minimum of 30 seconds.

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

I know all vets have a different approach. But the general consensus is that giving it as a preventative is not going to do any harm. Since the test for E.C. can be unreliable and expensive, then it's a judgement call. Worth talking with your vet or another about it?

Bailey is doing so much better I don't think she's bobby at all. I think I would like to do a just incase course of panacur. But thinking about how long I should be doing antibiotics as I want to do a long course. Currently just less than 2 weeks

Bailey is doing so much better I don't think she's bobby at all. I think I would like to do a just incase course of panacur. But thinking about how long I should be doing antibiotics as I want to do a long course. Currently just less than 2 weeks

The vet has already extended the course - will they do so again? Do you have to have another consult?

I am glad that the head bobbing appears to be resolving. When are you due to take her back to the Vet ? Generally speaking it is advisable to continue abx treatment for several days after all clinical symptoms have resolved. So I would discuss this with your Vet :)

I am glad that the head bobbing appears to be resolving. When are you due to take her back to the Vet ? Generally speaking it is advisable to continue abx treatment for several days after all clinical symptoms have resolved. So I would discuss this with your Vet :)

No appointment booked in they wanted to admit her on Tuesday to do the X-ray but as much better I thought I would cancel and see how she goes. I have had a consult on the phone previously and picked up medication after that which meant I didn't have to disturb the peace in the hairy family separating them and taking her back so I may give them a call tomorrow. Do have at least 5 days of antibiotics but maybe only 2 of stemetil and maybe 3 of metacam but don't know if she still needs the second two

No appointment booked in they wanted to admit her on Tuesday to do the X-ray but as much better I thought I would cancel and see how she goes. I have had a consult on the phone previously and picked up medication after that which meant I didn't have to disturb the peace in the hairy family separating them and taking her back so I may give them a call tomorrow. Do have at least 5 days of antibiotics but maybe only 2 of stemetil and maybe 3 of metacam but don't know if she still needs the second two

I guess if you stop the Stemetil and Metacam when you run out it may indicate that they were doing some good, so perhaps it would be useful to see what happens in the short term?

Your vet would be the one to advise on this.

Last edited:

I would give the Vet a call before the meds run out (dont forget it's a Bank Holiday weekend......). I would definitely not stop any of the medication before you do that. I really hope that your Bunny is well on her way to a full recovery now xx

Just spoke to the vet she said fine to stop all medication and monitor over the next week to see if any re-occurance. She's been on medicine for just over 3 weeks now

Just spoke to the vet she said fine to stop all medication and monitor over the next week to see if any re-occurance. She's been on medicine for just over 3 weeks now

I was wondering how you were getting on.

I'm glad your vet has agreed to stop the meds. Hope she does well.

Part of me thinks she should be on meds longer but she is fine I just don't want another relapse. It was scary because she was still acting normal and the vet wanted to sedete her and x-ray and I obviously wasn't keen. Vet said if symptoms come back to take her back in and will give more medicine. I do feel like they just want to get her in to get more money from me as both times I went looking at bailey she was fine so she doesn't actually need to go back to get medicine

Part of me thinks she should be on meds longer but she is fine I just don't want another relapse. It was scary because she was still acting normal and the vet wanted to sedete her and x-ray and I obviously wasn't keen. Vet said if symptoms come back to take her back in and will give more medicine. I do feel like they just want to get her in to get more money from me as both times I went looking at bailey she was fine so she doesn't actually need to go back to get medicine

It's difficult to know what to do. If you wanted her assessed by a different vet then that would be perfectly possible.

Is she still doing OK?

I doubt that the Vet would ask you to bring her back in just to make money. Most Vets really are not made that way. In order to prescribe any medication a Vet must keep clear records and this includes how and why repeat prescriptions are authorised. The Vet usually needs to actually examine a Rabbit at regular intervals when they place said Rabbit on a very long course of treatment. In recent times this especially applies to the use of antibiotics. Over prescribing of abx can be as much of a problem in Veterinary medicine as it can in human medicine. Also, with a longterm condition many Vets will not keep adding a Consultation fee to all the check-ups, or if they do it will be at a reduced rate.

All that said, if you do not have trust in the Vet you are seeing then maybe it would be a good idea to seek a second opinion from another Vet at another Practice. However, I personally think you already attend an excellent very Rabbit Savvy Practice. But my opinion on that is irrelevent if you are not happy with the service they are providing.

Best wishes for whatever you decide is best to do for your Rabbit :)

I doubt that the Vet would ask you to bring her back in just to make money. Most Vets really are not made that way. In order to prescribe any medication a Vet must keep clear records and this includes how and why repeat prescriptions are authorised. The Vet usually needs to actually examine a Rabbit at regular intervals when they place said Rabbit on a very long course of treatment. In recent times this especially applies to the use of antibiotics. Over prescribing of abx can be as much of a problem in Veterinary medicine as it can in human medicine. Also, with a longterm condition many Vets will not keep adding a Consultation fee to all the check-ups, or if they do it will be at a reduced rate.

All that said, if you do not have trust in the Vet you are seeing then maybe it would be a good idea to seek a second opinion from another Vet at another Practice. However, I personally think you already attend an excellent very Rabbit Savvy Practice. But my opinion on that is irrelevent if you are not happy with the service they are providing.

Best wishes for whatever you decide is best to do for your Rabbit :)

Ashleigh vets would never consult without charging and regularly over charge! They even charge a dispense fee on top of medicine if you have to go back for more and that's about £8/9 a time for absolutely nothing but them handing over the medicine. Do feel like they always push you to spend more with things you don't need. Like refusing to prescribe panacur that's what like £6 a tube, without a £120 blood test first!

But as you said they do have rabbit savvy vets which is the only reason I go other wise there is absolutely no chance I would go there. Had to argue on the phone with a receptionist once to speak to the vet as they hadn't given me enough medicine and despite me being in with rabbit the day before the receptionist was adamant the only way I would speak to the vet is with another £40 consultation as she was so busy. After a long argument the vet called me back and hadn't prescribed enough medicine that I had to pick up and got charges an extra £8/9 dispense fee despite it being their mistake!!

They definitely make an already stressful experience so much worse! I get anxiety every time I have to call them!

Last edited:
It's difficult to know what to do. If you wanted her assessed by a different vet then that would be perfectly possible.

Is she still doing OK?

She's still doing well my little trooper. Really hope she continues to get better. Don't want to have to go back to the vet

Ashleigh vets would never consult without charging and regularly over charge! They even charge a dispense fee on top of medicine if you have to go back for more and that's about £8/9 a time for absolutely nothing but them handing over the medicine. Do feel like they always push you to spend more with things you don't need. Like refusing to prescribe panacur that's what like £6 a tube, without a £120 blood test first!

But as you said they do have rabbit savvy vets which is the only reason I go other wise there is absolutely no chance I would go there. Had to argue on the phone with a receptionist once to speak to the vet as they hadn't given me enough medicine and despite me being in with rabbit the day before the receptionist was adamant the only way I would speak to the vet is with another £40 consultation as she was so busy. After a long argument the vet called me back and hadn't prescribed enough medicine that I had to pick up and got charges an extra £8/9 dispense fee despite it being their mistake!!

They definitely make an already stressful experience so much worse! I get anxiety every time I have to call them!

From what you've said here, and what you've told me privately, I do see your point entirely.

A vet does not have to see a rabbit every time they prescribe medication, and if the symptoms require it and they have seen the rabbit recently they can re-prescribe. I have actually never been to a vet who has charged a dispense fee.

Regards the Panacur, if I and my vet feel it's appropriate to dose my rabbits, then the vet dispenses me a whole bottle (100ml) costing not a lot over the Internet price and I don't use the small syringes of paste with graduations as I get a correct dose for each animal. I am not required to blood test my rabbits and we decide what's best practice between us.

Also, £40 for a repeat consult is more expensive than I have ever known. I can quite see why this is stressing you out.

From what you've said here, and what you've told me privately, I do see your point entirely.

A vet does not have to see a rabbit every time they prescribe medication, and if the symptoms require it and they have seen the rabbit recently they can re-prescribe. I have actually never been to a vet who has charged a dispense fee.

Regards the Panacur, if I and my vet feel it's appropriate to dose my rabbits, then the vet dispenses me a whole bottle (100ml) costing not a lot over the Internet price and I don't use the small syringes of paste with graduations as I get a correct dose for each animal. I am not required to blood test my rabbits and we decide what's best practice between us.

Also, £40 for a repeat consult is more expensive than I have ever known. I can quite see why this is stressing you out.

It is really quite an awful experience especially as you only tend to visit your vet when there's something wrong so you are already stressed out and worried and don't have it in you to argue about being overcharged or dispense fees because the receptionist knows you need the medicine so they know you will pay. Your vet sound very open to listening to you and seems to be working with you rather than dictating. I do think I need another vet in future.

There is one literally a 5 minute walk from me and if there was something physically wrong that you could see like an injury then I would go there but they mainly treat cats and dogs so as nice as they are they aren't as familiar with the illnesses that occur with foofs

Back