Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crusty eyes, normal?

Default Crusty eyes, normal?

Hello. I have had Luna a week now, the first day I got her (and since) she has had crust in her right eye like humans do after sleeping. Today she also had it in her left. Is this okay? I canít see any discharge or leaking as Iíve had in a previous bun. Sheís 9 weeks old now

Hiya,
    I don't have an answer for you, but Twix has had the exact same thing you describe a couple of times since coming home with us (he is 10 weeks old). Its exactly like what us humans would have in the mornings and call "sleep". When he was at the vets, she said it could just be a case of something from his bedding getting in his eye but not to be too worried if it's not constant or consistently leaking a fluid..
    Although I will be interested to hear others opinions

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Leannean27 View Post
    Hello. I have had Luna a week now, the first day I got her (and since) she has had crust in her right eye like humans do after sleeping. Today she also had it in her left. Is this okay? I canít see any discharge or leaking as Iíve had in a previous bun. Sheís 9 weeks old now

Hi there

It sounds like blocked tear ducts. When the white discharge dries, it turns crusty as you've seen.

Can you gently bathe both eyes with cooled boiled water? Sometimes gently pressing underneath the eye you can express gunk from the tear duct and wipe it away. Weepy eyes are sometimes long term and non life threatening.

The condition is called Dacryocystitis:

http://veterinarymedicinejournal.usa...II_4/Art16.pdf

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_dis...Runny_eyes.htm

A vet can flush the tear duct, and it varies between vets as to whether they feel the need to do this with or without anaesthetic. You can ring up and find out first, so you know what to expect.

Mama Doe

2 of pixie and Daisy's babies had eyes like that. I did what mightymax just said and wiped daily with cool boiled water and it cleared in 3 days and has never been back. Hope she is fine xxx

Wise Old Thumper

Hello. I have had Luna a week now, the first day I got her (and since) she has had crust in her right eye like humans do after sleeping. Today she also had it in her left. Is this okay? I can’t see any discharge or leaking as I’ve had in a previous bun. She’s 9 weeks old now
    Personally I would get the Vet to take a look as it sounds as though there may be a bit of infection going on given that the problem has now spread to her left eye too. It would also give you the opportunity to speak with the Vet about Luna's vaccinations, if you have not already done so.In the meantime you could gently bathe the eyes using cooled boiled water and a separate sterile pad to bathe each eye.
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by willow and squiggles View Post
    2 of pixie and Daisy's babies had eyes like that. I did what mightymax just said and wiped daily with cool boiled water and it cleared in 3 days and has never been back. Hope she is fine xxx

Yes I agree, this can sometimes clear things up quickly.

If not, a vet visit and some antibiotic eye drops will certainly help

How many times a day would you bathe the eyes just once or say morning and evening? I'm just about to do her now. I do need to sort out vaccinations etc but hoping to wait until I've got second bun next weekend so can do them both at same time as. Her eyes don't seem red or irritated in the slightest atm which I've seen in a bun before (teeth problem) think the vet gave me a gel to use a few times a day if I remember rightly, it was years ago now

Wise Old Thumper

How many times a day would you bathe the eyes just once or say morning and evening? I'm just about to do her now. I do need to sort out vaccinations etc but hoping to wait until I've got second bun next weekend so can do them both at same time as. Her eyes don't seem red or irritated in the slightest atm which I've seen in a bun before (teeth problem) think the vet gave me a gel to use a few times a day if I remember rightly, it was years ago now
    Bathing the eyes twice a day should suffice, doing it too often can irritate the delicate skin around the eyes. As I said in my previous post, I would want a Vet to take a look to make sure there is not any bacterial infection going on. I'd also want to get the Vaccinations arranged ASAP as an unvaccinated Rabbit is at risk of both Myxomatosis and RHD1/RHD2. Just my personal opinion
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Banned

Hi

I would do it twice daily, morning and evening, to avoid the build up of gunk.

Yes I agree it's a good idea to get both done together vaccination wise.

Sometimes vets give Isathal, which is like a gel in a tube - it's commonly used for eye conditions

Iíve found a vet closer to me that deals with rabbits, they even have separate waiting and kennel areas! (Iím on mat leave atm and car share so realistically needed to be within walking distance otherwise relying on weekend appointments) Iím going to call them in the morning and get Luna in Jacks Jane - youíve been playing on my mind all day haha!

Apologies, I havenít had a bun for a few years, the combined myxi/ rhd vaccine had just come out which my bun had once before he passed . Whatís rhd2, is this another strain? I remember seeing something about a strain of something coming over from France a while back. I asked the vet at the time and she said it was all hype and nothing to worry about, is this it possibly?

I think it began with an F mighty max, like fibrofen or something unless Iím thinking of some other med she had!