Thread: Rabbit over-sensitive to spurs!

Default Rabbit over-sensitive to spurs!

Hi there,

Just looking for any thoughts or anyone who's experienced similar really!

My Tango started needing spurs burred every few months about a year ago maybe, he's had 3 or 4 dentals now (a mystery in itself as he's 8 years old and had never had any trouble before that I know of). He now starts being picky and then refuses his food altogether if I don't catch it early enough.

The odd thing is he does this before his teeth even start rubbing his tongue, just when they start to point inwards. Last time the vet commented that they weren't sharp and hadn't caused any ulcers, he's just very sensitive to them. After his dental he starts eating again after a couple of days, which suggests that it is his teeth and not something else.

It's a worry, because by refusing food so early he is having to have dentals more frequently, he's not a young bun and tends to come round comparatively slowly from the anaesthetic.
    Anyone else have a super sensitive bunny?

Quote Originally Posted by sierra*323 View Post
    Hi there,

My Tango started needing spurs burred every few months about a year ago maybe, he's had 3 or 4 dentals now (a mystery in itself as he's 8 years old and had never had any trouble before that I know of). He now starts being picky and then refuses his food altogether if I don't catch it early enough.

The odd thing is he does this before his teeth even start rubbing his tongue, just when they start to point inwards. Last time the vet commented that they weren't sharp and hadn't caused any ulcers, he's just very sensitive to them. After his dental he starts eating again after a couple of days, which suggests that it is his teeth and not something else.

It's a worry, because by refusing food so early he is having to have dentals more frequently, he's not a young bun and tends to come round comparatively slowly from the anaesthetic.
    Has the Vet taken skull radiographs ? Sometimes a similar pattern can be seen in Rabbits who have some abnormalities relating to their tooth roots. So the discomfort is not so much in the mouth, as such.

If no skull radiographs have been taken I'd request that some are done when he has his next Dental xx

Hi there,

I hear this with regards to older rabbits quite a lot. The dentition, which seemed OK at the start of their lives, seems to deteriorate and they need attention where they didn't before. It's not at all surprising, but it's quite disappointing when they need so many dentals in a short space of time.

Regarding the spurs - not all rabbits are the same! Some rabbits will continue eating with a terrible set of teeth, and others cannot tolerate the slightest amount of discomfort. A bit like humans really

The worry is of course those repeated GAs. I have a lot of folk contact me privately with just the worries that you've identified.
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed

Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

He is quite an opinionated boy who knows what he wants in every other aspect of life - I shouldn't be surprised that he can't tolerate wonky teeth. He did once have his teeth done with a sedative rather than higher dose of anaesthetic, but we only got away with that once and now he needs a normal GA to have the procedure safely as he tends to fight the vet (understandably).

It's a good thing I'm totally in love with him, he causes so much stress! Maybe I'll ask about skull radiographs, he's going for his booster this month so will have his teeth checked again then.

Thank you both

He is quite an opinionated boy who knows what he wants in every other aspect of life - I shouldn't be surprised that he can't tolerate wonky teeth. He did once have his teeth done with a sedative rather than higher dose of anaesthetic, but we only got away with that once and now he needs a normal GA to have the procedure safely as he tends to fight the vet (understandably).

It's a good thing I'm totally in love with him, he causes so much stress! Maybe I'll ask about skull radiographs, he's going for his booster this month so will have his teeth checked again then.

Thank you both

You're welcome

My vet doesn't routinely do skull radiographs, and with good reason says they are often not very helpful. However, it's one to discuss with your vet.

Love the sound of your opinionated boy - have you a photo?

Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    You're welcome

My vet doesn't routinely do skull radiographs, and with good reason says they are often not very helpful. However, it's one to discuss with your vet.

Love the sound of your opinionated boy - have you a photo?
    Of course! Sorry if it's huge, had to upload from my phone

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Warren Veteran

He's a stunner. I hope you find a way to manage x

Of course! Sorry if it's huge, had to upload from my phone

Oooof

Looks like he's been snaffling in the coal scuttle

Haha yep. His wifebun and I think he's rather handsome, but we are biased

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    He's a stunner. I hope you find a way to manage x
    Thank you