• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit over-sensitive to spurs!

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Hi there,

Just looking for any thoughts or anyone who's experienced similar really!

My Tango started needing spurs burred every few months about a year ago maybe, he's had 3 or 4 dentals now (a mystery in itself as he's 8 years old and had never had any trouble before that I know of). He now starts being picky and then refuses his food altogether if I don't catch it early enough.

The odd thing is he does this before his teeth even start rubbing his tongue, just when they start to point inwards. Last time the vet commented that they weren't sharp and hadn't caused any ulcers, he's just very sensitive to them. After his dental he starts eating again after a couple of days, which suggests that it is his teeth and not something else.

It's a worry, because by refusing food so early he is having to have dentals more frequently, he's not a young bun and tends to come round comparatively slowly from the anaesthetic.
Anyone else have a super sensitive bunny?

Hi there,

My Tango started needing spurs burred every few months about a year ago maybe, he's had 3 or 4 dentals now (a mystery in itself as he's 8 years old and had never had any trouble before that I know of). He now starts being picky and then refuses his food altogether if I don't catch it early enough.

The odd thing is he does this before his teeth even start rubbing his tongue, just when they start to point inwards. Last time the vet commented that they weren't sharp and hadn't caused any ulcers, he's just very sensitive to them. After his dental he starts eating again after a couple of days, which suggests that it is his teeth and not something else.

It's a worry, because by refusing food so early he is having to have dentals more frequently, he's not a young bun and tends to come round comparatively slowly from the anaesthetic.

Has the Vet taken skull radiographs ? Sometimes a similar pattern can be seen in Rabbits who have some abnormalities relating to their tooth roots. So the discomfort is not so much in the mouth, as such.

If no skull radiographs have been taken I'd request that some are done when he has his next Dental xx

Hi there,

I hear this with regards to older rabbits quite a lot. The dentition, which seemed OK at the start of their lives, seems to deteriorate and they need attention where they didn't before. It's not at all surprising, but it's quite disappointing when they need so many dentals in a short space of time.

Regarding the spurs - not all rabbits are the same! Some rabbits will continue eating with a terrible set of teeth, and others cannot tolerate the slightest amount of discomfort. A bit like humans really :)

The worry is of course those repeated GAs. I have a lot of folk contact me privately with just the worries that you've identified.

He is quite an opinionated boy who knows what he wants in every other aspect of life - I shouldn't be surprised that he can't tolerate wonky teeth. He did once have his teeth done with a sedative rather than higher dose of anaesthetic, but we only got away with that once and now he needs a normal GA to have the procedure safely as he tends to fight the vet (understandably).

It's a good thing I'm totally in love with him, he causes so much stress! Maybe I'll ask about skull radiographs, he's going for his booster this month so will have his teeth checked again then.

Thank you both :)

He is quite an opinionated boy who knows what he wants in every other aspect of life - I shouldn't be surprised that he can't tolerate wonky teeth. He did once have his teeth done with a sedative rather than higher dose of anaesthetic, but we only got away with that once and now he needs a normal GA to have the procedure safely as he tends to fight the vet (understandably).

It's a good thing I'm totally in love with him, he causes so much stress! Maybe I'll ask about skull radiographs, he's going for his booster this month so will have his teeth checked again then.

Thank you both :)

You're welcome :)

My vet doesn't routinely do skull radiographs, and with good reason says they are often not very helpful. However, it's one to discuss with your vet.

Love the sound of your opinionated boy - have you a photo? :)

You're welcome :)

My vet doesn't routinely do skull radiographs, and with good reason says they are often not very helpful. However, it's one to discuss with your vet.

Love the sound of your opinionated boy - have you a photo? :)
Of course! Sorry if it's huge, had to upload from my phone [emoji4]
e4d7cc1531faeef1134ccde1f2d1ba70.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Haha yep. His wifebun and I think he's rather handsome, but we are biased [emoji7]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back