• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wire meshing for runs

houndour

Warren Scout
Hello,

I went to B&Q looking for wire for rabbit runs, but I couldn't find any (its such a big place). Anyway, I've just looked on their website and found this:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/product/product.jsp?PRODID=159983&CATID=159947&entryFlag=false

But it's only a panel, not a roll. Can anyone tell me where I can get a roll from? Also, it's not looking as cheap as I thought, would anyone recommend just buying a pre-built run? Or building your own?

Thanks,

Sam

*nods* we use that, it's called weldmesh and much stronger than chicken wire (which is useless). Focus sell it as well. You normally get it in rolls but you can also get it in panels which is more expensive.

Try a different DIY store. As Lynda says you can get it in rolls which is much cheaper.

Tam

Hi Houndour

I also had probs finding the mesh in our local B&Q but they do have the strong weld mesh by the roll. The usually have it outside at my one.

This may not be of much help.... because I've forgotten the name of the place! :lol:

But there is a place online that sells rolls of all types of weldmesh, at very cheap prices (far cheaper than buying from DIY shops). I think the place is in Doncaster if that's any use. But in any case, try looking online for aviary mesh... if you can find the place I'm on about it's dirt cheap and includes delivery.

For a run outside, what is the recommended size of the holes in the mesh? I had a look at the garden center and there's all sorts of sizes!

Is the 25mm x 25mm too large? Most hutches seem to use the rectangle one.

I would go slightly smaller if possible 25mmx25mm would probably just about fit a cat paw. I think we have something like 20mmx10mm rectangles.

Tam

Back