• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Post-bonding advice (and will my buns still love me too?!)

Squishies

Warren Scout
Hi all,

My bunnies have all gone away to be bonded while I take a break and have a new shed-aviary set-up built...

They are going to be away for some time, and it got me thinking about two things...

First up, what will be the best way to bring them back and settle them in their new area?
...should I restrict space? How do I judge when to allow them back in the house/garden etc?
...anything else to be mindful of?

Second up, and this may sound daft, but two of the 4, are house bunnies and closely bonded with me (both groom me and one especially likes to come and sit on my lap as I work) - I don't want to interfere with their bond(s) but I will miss their affection:
...will they remember me and will they remember our bond too?
...will they be cross at me for sending them away?!

Sorry if these are daft questions! I miss their furry faces!

Mx

Once you get your bunnies back you will have to treat them as you would new rabbits. Rabbits get used to the territory they are in so you can't expect them to just return to the state they were in before they went away. It will take time. I hope they all settle down when they come back.

Thank you, ToniBun.
I've only ever one away for a week or so, before, and he was delighted to be back; absolutely ecstatic round and round the house!

Hi. I worried after having only single buns for alot of years that after we bonded our Bob that we would lose something from the relationship we already had.
Not true- he is more chilled, trusts us more, generally just more content. I just wished we had tried it before. Good luck, hope it all works out for you all x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Hi. I worried after having only single buns for alot of years that after we bonded our Bob that we would lose something from the relationship we already had.
Not true- he is more chilled, trusts us more, generally just more content. I just wished we had tried it before. Good luck, hope it all works out for you all x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Thank you for this wonderful encouragement, Julia -- yes, I got the 4th bun and am bonding because I know that bunny company for other buns is ultimately the best, but obviously, if possible, I want to maintain the close relationship (without interfering!) I have with the 2 indoor 'previously single' bunnies.

Fingers crossed and thanks again :)
x x

Thank you for this wonderful encouragement, Julia -- yes, I got the 4th bun and am bonding because I know that bunny company for other buns is ultimately the best, but obviously, if possible, I want to maintain the close relationship (without interfering!) I have with the 2 indoor 'previously single' bunnies.

Fingers crossed and thanks again :)
x x

Good luck, I hope everything goes well on their return. I must admit I feel/felt the same about bonding our little rescue girl, Caramel. She's an elderly wee mite, about 9, and we've had her for about 6 months, and as daft as it sounds, I feel that I've bonded with her, and now we're in the process of slow bonding her to a 6 year old, rescue bun, and it definitely crossed my mind whether my relationship with Caramel would change. Like you, I know I have to put whats best for the bunnies first, but I was kind of sad at the thought of losing any of the friendship that I feel Caramel and I have. So I totally understand where you're coming from.

Everything crossed here that it all goes well for you AND the buns :)

Back