• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Doughnuts having another dental three weeks after her other one

cpayne

Warren Veteran
Took her back to mark as she wasn't right and sneezing. She's got a respiratory infection bloated and another spur digging into her tongue. It's grow back quickly as not felt great so not eating as much hay. She had carried eating again though but just noticed she didn't rush for her food and was sneezing.

Got to call at 3 to find out if I can pick her up. Sure she'll be fine but don't like her going under with a respiratory but trust him totally

Took her back to mark as she wasn't right and sneezing. She's got a respiratory infection bloated and another spur digging into her tongue. It's grow back quickly as not felt great so not eating as much hay. She had carried eating again though but just noticed she didn't rush for her food and was sneezing.

Got to call at 3 to find out if I can pick her up. Sure she'll be fine but don't like her going under with a respiratory but trust him totally

Oh dear poor little Miss D :cry: I really hope that all will go well for her. Is Mark taking skull radiographs this time ? I cant remember if he did so last time.

Sending lots of vibes xx

Poor you :( And poor Doughnut!

I hope all goes well this time x

Oh dear poor little Miss D :cry: I really hope that all will go well for her. Is Mark taking skull radiographs this time ? I cant remember if he did so last time.

Sending lots of vibes xx

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure. He didn't say he was. I said I thought it was her teeth again and a respiratory. He said yes respiratory and bloated but would be surprised if her teeth so soon. Then looked in her mouth and said well I'm surprised it is her teeth too. He said he doesn't normally take them back really low but because she was unwell it didn't wear them down so will take them down lower

she's a funny little one. She was still playing with her cups and happy and eating so it's quite difficult to tell when she's unwell. It's only because I know how greedy she is and she was leaving her muesli then going back to it. That's unheard of. It's normally finished in one go

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure. He didn't say he was. I said I thought it was her teeth again and a respiratory. He said yes respiratory and bloated but would be surprised if her teeth so soon. Then looked in her mouth and said well I'm surprised it is her teeth too. He said he doesn't normally take them back really low but because she was unwell it didn't wear them down so will take them down lower

she's a funny little one. She was still playing with her cups and happy and eating so it's quite difficult to tell when she's unwell. It's only because I know how greedy she is and she was leaving her muesli then going back to it. That's unheard of. It's normally finished in one go

Bless her :love: I bet she does not think she's 'greedy', she just likes to optimise her nutritional intake !! :lol:

Really great you know her so well. So difficult to spot these things, and then to know the cause of the problem!

I've got her back. They wanted me to inject penicillin but I'm away from tomorrow and couldn't get hold of my bunny lady so got oral antibiotics now. She's also on her normal ranitidine metaclopramide and metacam. She's munching on hay now. Not interested in her muesli at the moment

I've got her back. They wanted me to inject penicillin but I'm away from tomorrow and couldn't get hold of my bunny lady so got oral antibiotics now. She's also on her normal ranitidine metaclopramide and metacam. She's munching on hay now. Not interested in her muesli at the moment

Glad to hear that she's home and munching on hay already. I hope that the antibiotics get on top of her infection ASAP xx

So glad she's home, you must be very relieved. Especially as you're going to be away from home!

Vibes for her to get totally better :)

For future reference is injecting easy with a wiggly rabbit? I'm guessing it's a more effective way to clear an infection by penicillin and injecting

Sorry to have missed this. Sending vibes that Doughnut clears this infection quickly and is back to normal soon. What kind of hay does she eat? Sometimes a coarser hay, as long as the gut tolerates it well, is the way forward in preventing spurs.
Injections can be much more effective in treating infections, but I was never able to do them myself. (Needle squeamish) And if bunny is uncooperative it might take more than one carer or a vet nurse to get them done. :(

For future reference is injecting easy with a wiggly rabbit? I'm guessing it's a more effective way to clear an infection by penicillin and injecting

Whether Penicillin injections are more effective than oral abx depends on the precise bacteria involved. Generally speaking abx given by subcutaneous injection achieve better blood plasma levels than oral abx. But no abx will be of benefit if the precise bacteria involved in causing the infection are resistant to the abx being given. If you see what I mean !!

This video shows various injection techniques, Penicillin is given subcutaneously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X0Ltpi66a4

You may need someone to hold Doughnut whilst you give the injection if she's very wriggly. Or if you have a top opening Pet Carrier you could attempt to do the injection whilst Doughnut was in the carrier.

Oh bless her, those bloomin bunny teeth eh ! Glad that she's come through ok, really hope her little chest clears up soon xxxx

Well I've put critical care down and she's eating that. Hasn't eaten all her muesli and nibbling on hay too. Haven't heard her sneeze once since she's come back which is odd. It couldn't have gone already only given her one lot! I won't complain though
I have to be careful with her hay. I got a big bag of Timothy hay from the hay experts. She loved it but her digestion problems came back and her acid reflux. I quick with the same two now Timothy hay from wilko. Doesn't look or smell great but her tummy likes it and the natures own with rose petals in

Thanks for the video. Putting her in the carrier is a great idea. Think I would struggle on my own. She doesn't just sit still unfortunately

Back