• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help please

Hi, I'm a new member.

I would really appreciate any advice on flooring.

Basically, we have an outdoor hutch with nice run around area - not huge, but not bad.

We placed the whole thing on the grass which started out great.

But then reality and winter and rain happend.

What with us going into the cage to clean up etc the nice grass soon devloved into mud.

Obviously we can clean things up, put straw down etc, but couped with the fact that the buns don't really have a favourite poop or we spot it only takes a day to get into more of a mess than we would like.

Soooooooo, I want to do better by them.

My current thinking is to lay down something a "bit" like decking, with small gaps between the slats, which we then smother in straw.

This will:

a) improve drainage for rain
b) improve drainage for wees
c) make it much easier to scrape out and clean.

Does this sound like it could make an improvement?

Are there any other clever ideas for bunnies on grass who make a bit of a mess?

Thanks in advance!

ps. it will also stop the digging, which they seem to enjoy, but just adds to the mess.

I would then give them more tube / fun / explory things to make up for the ability to dig.

I have a similar issue around/in front of my walk in runs - they are perfect in summer but become a boggy mess in winter. This summer I’m slabbing in front of one of mine and putting stepping stones in the grass leading to another - thinking ahead as I don’t want this mess next winter!

Is your run covered? I’m not sure about decking under a run - I have a small decked area (not for rabbits) and, despite weather proofing it each spring, it’s gone a bit soggy - I wonder what rabbit wee and soggy hay would do to it. I might be wrong and someone else might have done this, it’s just my thought given how naff my decking is. Could you slab under the run - easy to sweep and jet washable after winter?
Good luck :)

Hi, I'm a new member.

I would really appreciate any advice on flooring.

Basically, we have an outdoor hutch with nice run around area - not huge, but not bad.

We placed the whole thing on the grass which started out great.

But then reality and winter and rain happend.

What with us going into the cage to clean up etc the nice grass soon devloved into mud.

Obviously we can clean things up, put straw down etc, but couped with the fact that the buns don't really have a favourite poop or we spot it only takes a day to get into more of a mess than we would like.

Soooooooo, I want to do better by them.

My current thinking is to lay down something a "bit" like decking, with small gaps between the slats, which we then smother in straw.

This will:

a) improve drainage for rain
b) improve drainage for wees
c) make it much easier to scrape out and clean.

Does this sound like it could make an improvement?

Are there any other clever ideas for bunnies on grass who make a bit of a mess?

Thanks in advance!

That sounds like it would be difficult to throughly clean, plus decking goes rotten, and they'll probably chew it, you'd have to make sure it was bunny safe wood and not treated or sprayed with anything.

You could just put slabs down? They can't dig out, easy to clean etc

Do you have a litter tray for them to use? x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Back