• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor housing for a trio

capable

Mama Doe
Hi all, I've posted over in Behaviour and Bonding about hopefully bonding my 3 single boys into a harmonious trio in the near future, so I'm starting to think about housing options.

2 of my boys are currently in hutch/run set ups on the top level of my yard, which is poured concrete. Most of this area is nice and smooth, with a slight slope for drainage (which is where I'd like to place the new housing), and the other 3rd(?) of the area is poorly finished and uneven, so it's not really safe as a large run wouldn't sit flush.

The flat area measures about 8.5ft wide x 11.5ft long, to its very edges.

Ideally, I would like an aviary-style run, and I would put the newest of the 6x2x2 outdoor hutches inside it for shelter, and to save money by only needing a larger run. It would be butted short-side against my fence, and 1 long-side against the wall of an outbuilding for shelter, but I'd also like to have a waterproof roof on top as wet concrete mixed with bunny poop is no fun!

I've been looking at something like this - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/401435387754 A 6ft x 9ft run would really be about the maximum I could fit in the space, and for my budget of about £350. The space could push to 8ft x 10ft, but I don't think my budget could, with fox-proof wire, and a waterproof roof.

I guess I'm just concerned it might not be enough space? My buns aren't overly large (2kg, 2.2kg and 2.5kg, respectively), but I do have to budget carefully for this, and I don't want to end up with something unsuitable! It's made trickier by living in Northern Ireland, so shipping is a fortune, if companies ship at all! Thoughts?

Could you perhaps try a local carpenter? Mine is building me an aviary and converting my 10ft shed into a bunny home with a shelf/ramp, mesh inner door and two mesh windows with opening/ closing Perspex covers - all for less than your budget. I’m assured I’ve got heavy gauge predator proof mesh - he’s able to source the materials for far less than you or I could. I’m not having a roof, sure, I’ll cover mine with tarps like my current runs, and two of my aviary “walls” are the Shed and a 6ft fence but still I was pleasantly surprised at the cost of mine. HTH - might be worth looking into.

Last edited:
In terms of space, maybe look into putting a playhouse onto the uneven area and attach via a tunnel or similar to the run.
This'll provide them with a decent amount of weather protected space, be more predator proof and you wouldn't need to worry about a weather proof run so much.

(FYI a hard bristle broom on concrete works great).

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Tbh it looks too exposed for me(not that you are thinking of putting me into it), but, I would go along with what DP has said. Imo they need more shelter than what this "aviary/run gives them. Another member on here had a similar set-up, a converted greenhouse with a hutch inside, but she has found it not really good enough, especially when it started to snow.

Thanks all.

I had looked at playhouses/sheds, but they'd all eat up most/all of my budget if bought new, though I'm keeping an eye on the 2nd hand market.

Tonibun - I know what you mean about exposure. The run would be backed on 2 sides against a fence and a wall, and I'd planned to fit 1-1.5ft high kickboards.

I do know of a couple of local joiners, so I'll see about quotes for a similar design.

Gumtree and eBay were my go-tos for secondhand playhouses. Mine wasn't a bargain at £40 because it was in pretty rough shape but all the bad bits were things I was either getting rid of or could easily fix, or could at least wait until I get the time to do a proper job on them :) Playhouses do tend to need to be picked up though and are often too wide for a standard car, so factor in van hire/paying a friend's fuel if you need to :)

Another option is to add your own cladding to an exposed side. Also I have a hutch on tall legs so area underneath is used too. Have fun looking and setting up for a lovely trio :love:

Playhouses are adorable, but currently nonexistent in my local secondhand market. The cost of even a small one new, plus a runaround kit, and a non-weather-proof 9x6 run would have me over budget :?

There are several local sawmill type places that I'm going to check out tomorrow. If any of them could make me up a 9x6, or 10x8 run cheap enough, then I'd love to squeeze in a cute playhouse too. I'll also keep an eye on Gumtree!

How did you get on with the sawmills? :)

Not as well as I'd hoped, unfortunately :? One place I tried quoted me £500 for a 9x6 run with a mesh roof, at another I parked up and couldn't find a single soul working there! A local shed company gave me the number of a freelance carpenter who might be able to help me, but need to give him a ring.

It's exhausting! I'm tempted to just spend £150-200 on a 6x4 shed from Homebase, and Macgyver two old 4x4 runs together and leave it at that. Not what I had in mind, but seems like it might be infinitely easier - certainly cheaper, and would give more cover/shelter than having to worry about roofing/kickboaridng an aviary, plus it'd come delivered to my door. Would give 54ft of space, I'm not sure that seems enough?

I’d try the local carpenter. Failing that do you have Rated People in NI?

Your shed/run idea sounds good though. I cannot wait for mine to all be up and done as I’m too old to be bending down and this winter (we are quite high up) has been too cold for my buns outside. There are loads of shed/run ideas on YouTube if you haven’t seen them?

I just posted an ad on Rated People, thanks for the tip!

I'd wanted to go for an aviary run, over additional 'indoor' space, as I didn't want to 'waste' either of my 2 6ft hutches. I also wanted something that was going to provide the most square footage, in the simplest way possible, but I'm not sure that's going to be the case!

That’s great - I found my fella on there and, though he’s not done the work yet his feedback is great and I’ve met him, he’s a nice bloke. I used Rated People for a fence last year and really ...erm...rate them :lol:

Good luck

Got a couple of quotes from Rated People, but again all looking £450+ :? Very frustrating!
Boyles Pet Housing have 15% off at the moment on their premade items. Not the bespoke.

Maybe see what they have and also get a quote for a bespoke item for curiosity sake?

ETA- I think I got it wrong. I think it is on all orders.
49412b176199289c4ec6ad1305aff2bd.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah Boyles are doing 15% off all orders pkus free delivery and assembly on orders over 399 I think it is.

That makes a 2m by 1m four sided indoor enclosure with a Perspex gate and part solid/part Perspex panels around £250 - that’s brilliant, if I hadn’t got my shed conversion booked I’d be ordering one. Sadly not the right time for me, hope someone here can take advantage of it though.

Back