• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training 2 rabbits

Livluke2

New Kit
Looking for help please

We have two rabbits in the same cagewould you advise on two litter trays we have one big one but they are peeing in different corners. Both on the same side but one at front and one at back, breeder we bought off said just to use the one and they would get it but they don’t seem to be

If I should just stay with the one and ideas onhow to get them to pee in the same corner please

Thank you

Looking for help please

We have two rabbits in the same cagewould you advise on two litter trays we have one big one but they are peeing in different corners. Both on the same side but one at front and one at back, breeder we bought off said just to use the one and they would get it but they don’t seem to be

If I should just stay with the one and ideas onhow to get them to pee in the same corner please

Thank you
Are they neutered?

Some bunnies are rubbish at using a litter tray before they're fixed - 2/3 of mine were always litter trained the 1 instantly changed after she was spayed :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Yes I agree, neutering definitely helps. You can try sweeping up poop / mopping up pee with kitchen roll or something similar and putting it in the litter tray to try to persuade them to use the 1 tray although you might find you do need to have 2 trays. Or maybe try 1 big tray - I use an under bed storage box as a litter tray.

Thanks guys. Yes they are both neutered but only just Lola the girl 4 weeks ago and Roman the boy 5weeks ago, not sure if that makes a difference they were litter trained before we had to split them and I think that’s set them back they have been back together 2 weeks now so don’t know if I’m just expecting too much too soon
I’ll try putting some of the soiled bedding back in litter tray to try and encourage them both. Only really have space for the big corner litter tray as cage isn’t huge but it’s two levels as they are out once we are finished work and on weekends

Thankyiu

Thanks guys. Yes they are both neutered but only just Lola the girl 4 weeks ago and Roman the boy 5weeks ago, not sure if that makes a difference they were litter trained before we had to split them and I think that’s set them back they have been back together 2 weeks now so don’t know if I’m just expecting too much too soon
I’ll try putting some of the soiled bedding back in litter tray to try and encourage them both. Only really have space for the big corner litter tray as cage isn’t huge but it’s two levels as they are out once we are finished work and on weekends

Thankyiu
Maybe it's territorial pooping? [emoji38]

One of mine was always litter trained until something bad happened and she had to be in a tiny cage almost the size of a travel cage for 7 weeks after her op, in this time she obviously had to get use to pooping and peeing where she sat (dw we kept her really clean never changed so many puppy pads and vet beds - basically every 2 hours [emoji38]) so anyway when she was finally allowed more space she continued to poop and pee everywhere - wasn't good - so we kept collecting up her poops and putting them in the tray, and also (bit gross) soak the pee up and put that in the tray or if she went on the carefresh collected the pee soaked stuff and put that in, within 2 weeks she'd got it :) she's not as good as my other buns, sometimes after we've cleaned her area she poops just outside the tray maybe once? But we move those in and then she's all good :) x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Mine have 32 litre under bed storage boxes as litter trays (3 between the four of them). They only wee in them or in their run.

You mention not having enough room for a larger litter tray and them being shut in a cage ... they do need constant access to an area of 10 x 6 feet as recommended by the rabbit welfare association.

Hope you have found a good solution to their litter tray habits.

Just measure cage and it’s half that size but there’s two cages on top of each other so they have plenty of room. We have the little tray in the downstairs cage as they don’t poop or pee in the upstairs cage. What I meant by the room comment was with the ramp for them getting upstairs we can only really put the littler tray down one side of the cage other wise their access up and down would be blocked. They aren’t in the cage all of the time we get them out for an hour on a morning before we head out to school and Work then once my daughter comes in from school at 3pm they are out until we go to bed at 10pm on weekends they are out whenever we are in and have access to a large room (they are only young so couldn’t let them free roam when we aren’t about as we would have no room left when we came back )

I’ll try the suggestion of putting the dirty litter in to tray to encourage them that way and hopefully they will get it. There’s been a lot of disruption with having to aepreate while getting neutered and think it’s just knocked them back a bit hopefully they will get it soon. X

Back