• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bananas

Bertie said:
luvabun said:
This is not a criticism of anyone but surely bananas are not a natural part of the rabbits diet seeing as they are native to the Caribbean and parts of Africa.

Well, nor are pellets really. How often do wild bunnies pop into their local pet shop for a bag of Burgess? But they're still a regular part of a lot of bunnies diet, and used appropriately and in the proper amounts they help keep your rabbit happy and healthy. In small quantities bananas aren't going to harm your bunny and they make for a nice treat which is far better for them than any of the store bought treats that are sold as being purposely designed for bunnies.

Oh my God! I totally didn't read page 2 before I wrote this.
Bertie you are freaky. I completely agree with you. Anyway sorry for my repitious post. :oops:

Holly Go Lightly, at least it is just words repeating on us and NOT bananas :shock: :lol: :lol: ..sorry must get off this thread before you skin me alive for my terrible jokes :roll: :lol:

Adele said:
However, I would just like to mention that bananas (like apple for example) ferment in the rabbits guts and the sugars can upset their tummies.

Absolutely. To be honest, my lot very rarely get fruit of any kind, and they go absolutely bonkers when they do. I prefer to feed them on veg and only really give them fruit when we have some left over that isn't going to be eaten.

And in response to Holly, yes I'm am freaky, but there's no need to draw attention to my short comings in public.

At the moment Dubbs's diet consist of kale, rocket, flat leaf parsley, basil, pak choi, carrots, celery, mint and brussel sprout leaves (and Russells) i make him a little salad twice a day so i can monitor how much he is eating. I am sure he can manage 1 piece of banana a week.

my goodness! my rabbit eats better than i do!

Adele said:
Holly Go Lightly, at least it is just words repeating on us and NOT bananas :shock: :lol: :lol: ..sorry must get off this thread before you skin me alive for my terrible jokes :roll: :lol:

Adele you are banned! (or should I say bananed :wink: )

Holly Go-Lightly said:
Adele said:

Adele you are banned! (or should I say bananed :wink: )

:p You cheeky Mare!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote="Holly Go-Lightly"

Freaky is, as freaky does. <cough>[/quote]

Oooh Look Bertie, Holly Go Lightly is talking about herself again :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mind you, my Mother used to say ..BETTER BE MAD ,than Normal and boring :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi I am new here but I just wanted to add to Adele's word of warning - my continental giant Zeus is allergic to banana.

He first got stasis after being treated for a few days with banana flavoured antibiotics for an eye infection but we blamed the antibiotics until I tried him on a piece of banana a couple of months later. He only took a few bites that evening but by the next morning he was hunched up in the corner grinding his teeth in the same manner as before - now recognising the symptoms I rushed him to the vets who gave him Prepulsid straight away and he recovered much faster this time and was able to eat again within a few hours. The vet then put two and two together and worked out that he can't cope with complex sugars such as those in bananas (and the sweetened antibiotic), although other fruits such as apple he has never had a problem with.

If you have Prepulsid on standby - try bananas but I would be cautious if your bunny has had previous gut problems as Adele said - especially with Prepulsid no longer being availible.

Caz

Hiya Caz and Zeus(what a beautiful Bunny by the way) and a warm welcome to the Forum.

Thank you for posting this information about your rabbit and the banana allergy, I have encountered several rabbits that have had ongoing gut statis problems (but the reason why could not be discovered)..until I removed banana from the rabbits diets, and hey presto all the problems disappeared.

You are right that just because it is a natural food / fruit does not mean that it does not create problems in vulnerable rabbits.
It is interesting to compare notes on these things, as a trend sometimes begins to appear.

Look forward to hearing more about you and Zeus in due course :D
Ps We have British Giants here, but it is my dream to have a Continental Giant one day...how much bigger than Giants do they grow??

Well they had to create a special ring size for them apparently - I believe that Zeus at 7.5kg is a good size although it is not unusual for them to get bigger!! Before his illness he had reached 8Kg - but he never put all the weight back on (although that was winter so he may put it back on this winter). He is about the size of a jack russel but with smaller legs ;).

The first attack of stasis hit pretty hard and he refused all food but celery, kale and fresh grass - he went down to just under 6Kg at his worst point and we were really worried that he wouldn't start eating properly again but a combination of Baytril, Metacam, Prepulsid, Avipro and lots of TLC (not to mention money) and he is back to his old self again!

Caz

P.S. I added a little collage below - his girlfriend is Athena - a dwarf lop and the only female rescue rabbit I found that didn't completely freak out at his advances - they are now happily bonded and Zeus knows his place :lol:

I gave Dubbs some banana last night for the first time. He wolfed it down.

He seemed a bit subdued when i got home last night so I was pleased to see him react so well to the banana. He still seemed a bit subdued this morning though and wouldn't come out of his hutch. Now I am worried the banana might have upset his tum. Or is it the cancer causing him pain again? Gah! I wish rabbits could talk.

If the banana has caused him 'stasis', what should I look out for? I haven't had ANY experience of this with Dubbs?

lindac said:
If the banana has caused him 'stasis', what should I look out for?

Main things, i think, are signs of pain such as bunny being hunched up and tooth grinding, lack of appetite, and a gurgly tummy - either much louder than normal or completely silent.

the hunched up thing and teeth grinding also happened when his cancer kicked in. oh lordy. maybe i am just being paranoid. i'll see how the little fella is doing tonight. if he hasn't touched his food it'll be the vets tomorrow...again.

Zeus went off his food - he would usually chase me through the kitchen for it but I couldn't even get a reaction when I waved it under his nose. He sat hunched up with teeth grinding and his stomach sounded very loud with big gurgling noises. I think the food thing was the main indicator for me the second time!

Has Dubbs eaten anything yet?

Caz

Hey Caz

I got home from work last night and Dubbs had eaten all of his food, I left him a bowl of parsley, mint, brussel and rocket leaves. I also left him a couple of Pak Choi leaves and a Kale leaf and a bit of celery - all gone. He barely touches his Russells though.

And the balcony was littered with poos so i guess he is ok with regards to having eaten the banana :)

Oh brill I am so relieved - I wouldn't want poor Dubbs to have to go through stasis as well as the cancer.

Zeus and Athena send their love too.

Caz

Back