• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Preparations for trio bonding

capable

Mama Doe
Hi all, looking for some tips and advice, for a first-time bonder, please!
I have 3 boys, all currently living separately, who I'd love to have bonded into a trio. Ideally, I'm hoping to have them all outside in a walk-in aviary +hutch.

I've two brothers - William, and Jack, who live outside in side-by-side hutch/run combos. Their runs are about 20cms apart, so they're close, but can't touch. I rescued them from bad conditions, where they'd lived for 3 years unneutered. While they gained weight to be neutered, William grew territorial and started to chase Jack, and keep him cornered in the hutch, and so they were separated. I've no reason to believe that it escalated to fighting. They're both about a year post-neuter now.

I also have my stray bun, Henry, who is inside in my (blooming cold) spare room. I was told Henry has previously lived with other rabbits. Henry has just passed his 6 week post-neuter.

William is about 2.2kg, Jack is around 1.9-2kg, and Henry is about 2.5kg (but still gaining). William was the dominant bun over Jack, and Henry is very outgoing and demanding of attention. Henry is pretty desperate for company, so I'm hoping he and William won't have power-squabbles, or that I might make a pairing with Henry/Jack, if the two brothers won't go back together.

For neutral territory, I have either my kitchen or hallway, which are both cold and narrow spaces, so easy to erect a penned area. I had been using my puppy panels in Henry's room, I assume I can wash them down with watered vinegar to neutralise them alright?

I wondered about food/water/litter in the bonding area - Jack is not a big hay eater (I supplement him with Fiba First sticks), and Henry has been on double pellets to help his weight gain, and only eats Readigrass over hay. Do you think it'd be too fight-provoking to scatter feed any pellets, or should it be a mixed pile of hay/Readigrass only? I have a large, neutral litter tray ready, or would it cause arguments? I can put puppy pads down, and the floors are tiled. Henry has also never learnt to drink from a water bottle, and only uses a bowl, whereas the other boys only use bottles - I foresee much spilled water in my future!

Henry has also shown that puppy panels are easy to hop over (apparently he's half-wild), so I plan on doubling them in height. Which I guess means sitting in the area with them, to quickly separate if necessary?

This is all I have for now, I'm sure I'll think of more questions! I just want to get everything in place before I begin anything - I don't want to spoil it before they've had a chance! I'd prefer to do the bonding in the spare room, as it's larger, empty, and self-contained, but I think even if I scrub it to within an inch, it'll still be too much 'Henry's space'.

Last edited:
I think neutralised puppy panels should be fine. I agree Henry would probably recognise the room as his, Boo did! - they are not easily fooled as you know. I'd start with puppy pads (you'll need alot :lol:) & progress to litter trays if it goes well. Mine shared a bowl of water (although Mouse did pee in it twice :lol: I think by accident).

Mine got fed huge piles of hay & forage (we got Mouse in May so it was plentiful) & they always ate well together. They shared nuggets well, either scatter fed or in a bowl. If using fibrafirst I'd cut them in to tiny wee pieces (my three get very food territorial over fibrafirst - I think cos they are so tasty, easy to run off with & take a while to eat). I'd see no harm feeding them all this way but if bonding takes a while you might have to separate for short periods to meet their nutritional needs. I'd choose the hall over the kitchen . I started my trio bond in the kitchen & it was really difficult not cooking anything or making anything in case they were upset by food smells. I ended up breaking a few rules during my trio bond but happy to answer any questions you have - but I've only done one & don't know much

Thanks J&B! Good point about the kitchen. The hall might be easier, though it’s not as cool, as my cat and dog would need access to the back door through the kitchen. Hadn’t thought about that!

I would worry about Jack not getting enough to eat - though since I’ve gradually cut his pellets right down, he’s eating more hay, albeit moodily! If push comes to shove, I might have to separate him out for extra grub, he’s tricky to keep weight on, if I up his pellets then he doesn’t eat enough fibre and his guts get problems.

Back